Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hello. I'm a GCSE performing Arts student and I'm really stuck on a task I got yesterday.

I have to write a monologue. Upon the theme of running away. You can be any character: teacher, parent, friend sister. I want to do something creative but my brain seems dead. Instead of plain running away from home.

What else can I do? Realistic but not obvious.

Thank you for your help!

P.S: I only got the task, but it has to be written, 2 minuets, and learnt in two days.

UPDATE: I just had an idea! What about having a friend run away, not run away from home, but like a best friend running away from... Friendship kind of thing?

I didn't do this task (different exam board I guess) but here are some ideas anyway:
    It is done a lot, but the subject of mental health is always interesting, so the idea of a schizophrenic person 'running away' from reality would work.
    Obviously the idea of running away from home is a bit boring, but you could always play on it with someone running away from bullies or something like that.
    You could even write a monologue about someone who has run away, but from someone else's perspective, like a parent or a friend (or an enemy?)
    Hope this helped :-)

Hiya, I didn't personally do this task myself whilst studying Drama but I'd like offer you some advice

When I read the theme 'running away' the first thing that came to mind was a runner who runs professionally - perhaps running could act as a way for them to detach their self from reality; the motivation behind this could possibly be to escape pain, etc.

A major problem that my class struggled with was not being able to look for alternate meaning - looking at running away in a more complex, evocative way. Start to look outside the literal meaning and I'm sure you'll find some ingenious ideas
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.