Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I know that so many people have already posted similar threads. However, I think my situation still needs a bit of advice as I don't really fit in that particular box of "Access or A Levels". I'm 18 now, turning 19 within a few months and gathering GCSES at college. My original attempt was to gather enough GCSES to sit A Levels this Sept. Everything did become a little complicated as I contemplated the OU, and consequently only sitting AS year- but having the option to go through to A2 in case I changed my mind etc, etc.

My situation now is considering an Access Course. I really would like to get to University a lot quicker, and I like the set up of Access qualifications with the majority of assessments being coursework, projects and presentations. All of which reflect the learning style for the degree I am interested in. I'd like to study Sociology and Social Policy (Joint Honours) at the University of Nottingham. I am a student where I am not too bothered about Russell Group Universities, or the top 20. I am looking for locality, course preference, teaching methods and facilities. I won't be accommodating, so all Universities I am looking for will be in a reasonable proximity to where I live.

So what do you think? As a 18-19 year old student who is looking at universities close to home- only really has 1 or 2 in mind- prefers the set up of Access Courses, and interested in Social sciences.

Extra info: Access course is Access to Social Sciences. University of Nottingham entry requirement for alternative qualifications for this course is pass at Access to He, 45 credits, of which 30 have to be merit or above at Level 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy. J S)
    Hi,

I know that so many people have already posted similar threads. However, I think my situation still needs a bit of advice as I don't really fit in that particular box of "Access or A Levels". I'm 18 now, turning 19 within a few months and gathering GCSES at college. My original attempt was to gather enough GCSES to sit A Levels this Sept. Everything did become a little complicated as I contemplated the OU, and consequently only sitting AS year- but having the option to go through to A2 in case I changed my mind etc, etc.

My situation now is considering an Access Course. I really would like to get to University a lot quicker, and I like the set up of Access qualifications with the majority of assessments being coursework, projects and presentations. All of which reflect the learning style for the degree I am interested in. I'd like to study Sociology and Social Policy (Joint Honours) at the University of Nottingham. I am a student where I am not too bothered about Russell Group Universities, or the top 20. I am looking for locality, course preference, teaching methods and facilities. I won't be accommodating, so all Universities I am looking for will be in a reasonable proximity to where I live.

So what do you think? As a 18-19 year old student who is looking at universities close to home- only really has 1 or 2 in mind- prefers the set up of Access Courses, and interested in Social sciences.

Extra info: Access course is Access to Social Sciences. University of Nottingham entry requirement for alternative qualifications for this course is pass at Access to He, 45 credits, of which 30 have to be merit or above at Level 3.
    I'd say go for Access courses!Do what you feel like doing and what you would be comfortable with!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill Twix)
    I'd say go for Access courses!Do what you feel like doing and what you would be comfortable with!
    Yeah, I feel as though I pretty much learning towards Access Course- which which is the complete opposite of what I intended to do at the start of this course, and the start of the year really. I'm just finding it hard to look objectively at both courses, and make a decision.

Thanks for replying back so quickly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy. J S)
    Yeah, I feel as though I pretty much learning towards Access Course- which which is the complete opposite of what I intended to do at the start of this course, and the start of the year really. I'm just finding it hard to look objectively at both courses, and make a decision.

Thanks for replying back so quickly!
    No problems!I'd say don't change your mind and go with an Access course!Work hard and get to university of Nottingham!
    Feel free to PM me if you've got any questions

ReputationRep:
    The access course seems by far the easier option and quicker. But A levels would be with for life and they are easier than a degree, whereas if you go straight to a degree and don't get it or only a third you won't appear very qualified. So if you do go through an access course make sure to get that degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kodlak)
    The access course seems by far the easier option and quicker. But A levels would be with for life and they are easier than a degree, whereas if you go straight to a degree and don't get it or only a third you won't appear very qualified. So if you do go through an access course make sure to get that degree!
    That is the desirable aspect of A Levels. They are so highly regarded, even with employers! Although they are direct route to university, they also widen so many options for your future. :yes:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.