Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all I'm not planning on applying until the 2017 intake minimum as waiting until my youngest is in full time school, but I am trying to plan ahead etc. and I just wondered what kind of work experience everyone did before applying as I'm unsure where to look (I'm applying for Nursing Child Branch) x

ReputationRep:
    I would really really recommend going on the bank with your local NHS Trust. It's great experience because you'll be working alongside nurses and get the relevant healthcare experience - but it also works well around your commitments because you tell the Trust what your availability is and they place you for the hours your available. It'll also mean you see a diverse range of wards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks, how do you go about looking into that? And do you need any experience? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Erm to be honest I'm not sure - it's one of those things that varies depending on the helpfulness of your local Trust - some can be quite irritating! I'd advise looking on the NHS Jobs website and the Trust's website. If all else fails there should be an email address on the Trust's website you can use to make enquiries.

You don't really need any experience for bank positions - especially these days with all the focus being on values based interviewing. But anything you have helps! Do you you have any so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help will have a look about and see what I can find

I don't have any experience as yet other then my own children (I have 3) thanks again, are you at uni or applying? x

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in the process of applying - will given the deadline is about half a week away I don't think I'll actually get applied this year. My experience basically started out from voluntary work that I did for a while before taking small bits of paid work - for example as a support worker for local learning disability charities. I then got a job with a regional mental health charity on a rehab unit and have now started working full time as a Nursing Assistant for the nhs.

I think having kids yourself will help quite a bit - personally the best nurses I know are the ones with good life experience of their own - remember half of nursing is about being able to engage with a service user. But don't be afraid to try lots of different things when gaining experience - that's what I've done and I think it's set me in good stead. Think about voluntary work, social care organisations that work with disabled people and other support worker jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi what are you applying for (if you don't mind me asking?), do you not think you will get your application in this cycle?

Your experience sounds great, I had a look at the website of my local hospital (which is about 5/10 mins from me) and they have many varied volunteer opportunities so I think next year when my son is in nursery I 'll get onto applying for them and see where that goes

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Mental Health Nursing. Northumbria is my preference - as I have lived in Newcastle for over five years now, but I've also put down Leeds and Leeds Beckett as I have friends and family in Yorkshire and really like both universities. I'm not sure if I will get my application submitted - it's all ready to go, it's just my reference that needs doing, I'm gonna speak to my boss in the morning and he's been extremely supportive so I'm hoping he'll get it done asap! What made you want to do your training?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi sorry slow reply had a birth in the family so not been online as much

Have you managed to get your application in? Wish you best of luck with it hope it goes well for you

I initially wanted to go into midwifery after receiving great care during my pregnancies but then someone suggested doing nursing first didn't particularly want to but thought I'd have a look into it and the more I read the more I found myself drawn to it particularly children's nursing xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any experience in a care/clinical based role will help.

Healthcare assistant, hospital/community volunteer, event first-aider.

If you are not planning on heading to university for another few years, then you have time to get a whole variation of experience !

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Hey, unfortunately I haven't managed to get my UCAS application finished - I had trouble getting a reference. But I'm about to start a new job, so I wasn't planning on going to uni until 2016 anyway.

I like how your interest in nursing developed - I think I'm quite similar in that I never expected to be interested in nursing but ended up working closely with nurses and realised how the job they did was such a fit for what I want to do. I quite like that with nursing you can work in so many different environments, with so many different people.

Good luck with the next couple of years - from my own personal experience and from having seen friends try and fail to get onto nursing courses enjoy spending some time getting a wide and varying set of work experiences - I think a wide experience gives you a better understanding of health and where you as a nurse and you as a person fits in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i would hugely recommend getting a job as a healthcare assistant at your local hospital (full or part time) or working at a care home. A lot of people go into nursing without proper experience of the shift patterns and demands of the job (hence the ridiculously huge drop out rates for the course). Im starting a physiotherapy degree in september and I've worked as a healthcare assistant for the last 6 months to gain experience, I can honestly say I will be 10 times the physio I would have been without that experience

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for children's nursing this year and I've got experience of working with children with both physical and learning disabilities in a nursery and I've done some voluntary work within an adult hospital too xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.