Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is a full body workout at the gym safe every other day? watch

ReputationRep:
    I only really have limited time I can go to the gym and I am trying to gain as much weight as possible without getting too fat.

So if I go every other day throughout the week that will be 4-5 days , is that over training?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Moved to Fitness
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Yes it's what most full body routines recommend such as ICF5x5, Stronglifts and Starting Strength

ReputationRep:
    If you go every other day through out the week and manage to get there 5 times then you're doing really well

If you don't know the programmes mentioned above then look in the FAQ. Icecream Fitness isn't good for limited time. SL and SS are 3 times a week.

How much time will you have per session for lifting- so taking away the time it takes you to get changed, warm up etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lent6)
    I only really have limited time I can go to the gym and I am trying to gain as much weight as possible without getting too fat.

So if I go every other day throughout the week that will be 4-5 days , is that over training?
    old smh

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is perfectly safe. Properly over-training is actually quite difficult, but it depends how advanced you are. As a newbie you can't lift heavy enough weights yet to really put stress on your body, so the worst that can happen is you feel a bit knackered in the gym, and if that happens you can always knock a day a week off. When you get strong you might want to tone down the frequency or intensity a bit, but I did full body every other day for ages before I found it a problem.

I would also like to mention that you don't need to go 5 days a week. That tends to be more body-part split territory. Full body sessions are excellent for strength and size and are also really efficient time-wise. One hour 3 or 4 days a week should be plenty. If you are relatively beginner (or just new to proper training), I'd advise looking up one of the tried and tested beginner routines like Stronglifts or WS4SB, if you haven't already.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.