Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied for NatSci and spent loads of time doing Olympiad papers/graph sketching/STEP questions and revising all of my AS material, so a rejection has made me really upset. It's been a good experience though but are there any benefits at all of choosing another university over Cambridge (seeing if there's a bright side to this at all)?

ReputationRep:
    You should still be proud of the grades you have, my grades are so pathetic it wasn't even worth me trying to apply there. If it makes you feel any better, I know people who have gone there and they hate it, one of my friends said she feels like she doesn't have as much independence as our friends at other unis. What other unis have you applied to?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be too disappointed despite all the pressure that has been put on you, I think there are actually better courses out there in some instances but the name of having a Cambridge degree is seen as amazing, you'll still do amazingly no matter where you study as long as you but the effort in to the course you'll see the results even if it's not through Cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inthechaos)
    You should still be proud of the grades you have, my grades are so pathetic it wasn't even worth me trying to apply there. If it makes you feel any better, I know people who have gone there and they hate it, one of my friends said she feels like she doesn't have as much independence as our friends at other unis. What other unis have you applied to?
    Thanks, that does make me feel better
    Imperial, UCL, Manchester and Durham (haven't heard back from this one yet) are the other ones I've applied to- I know Imperial is a good alternative but I honestly didn't like it that much (compared to Cambridge) and preferred Manchester but it's very tempting to choose Imperial due to its reputation :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Stay strong!It depends on what you do after you get your degree!Well done on your other offers!

ReputationRep:
    I also got rejected

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, don't be disheartened. I know what it's like to set your heart on Cambridge and it's devastating to get a rejection. You probably feel like your future's over but honestly, in about a few month's time, you'll be having the best time of your life at another uni that you won't even remember this. I was hung up on my rejection for quite a while and had the sort of unhealthy mentality of 'it's oxbridge or bust'. But doing Natsci at the other unis you've listed will give you a chance to hold a part time job if you want, and get involved with a lot of extra curriculars (not saying you can't do this at oxbridge but it's probably harder to juggle against a rigorous workload). I REALLY recommend one of the unis you've listed

ReputationRep:
    I'd say don't pick somewhere you didn't like just because its more prestigious, you need to make sure you'll feel happy wherever you go or you won't do as well.

ReputationRep:
    High five! Have a silver from IBO but got a rejection after the pool (BioNatSci). First hour I felt horrible, now I feel that everything is just as it has to be - I'll do my best during this year (studying in my homecountry just in case ), get more experience, during the summer I'll write a good PS and try one more time. After first steps in Cambridge and colleges I felt like in a movie, left the part of my heart there and definitely not going to give up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbricks)
    I applied for NatSci and spent loads of time doing Olympiad papers/graph sketching/STEP questions and revising all of my AS material, so a rejection has made me really upset. It's been a good experience though but are there any benefits at all of choosing another university over Cambridge (seeing if there's a bright side to this at all)?
    Ahhh dont worry mate! I know how it feels, I got rejected too and I genuinely felt like my life is over... I still do. But everyone has given me such good advice and at the end of the day, Cambridge is just one institution, and just because of its 'amazing' reputation, it doesn't mean you won't have fun elsewhere.
    I know exactly how you feel, I did so much work for mine and I genuinely feel I would have fitted in there, I was so passionate and driven and it was such a blow not to get in... but at the end of the day you're an individual person, you're probably amazing and its Cambridge's loss for not seeing that. Try not to let it get you down, don't let it destroy you.

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel - I worked SO hard but got rejected to study NatSci too, and I'm absolutely gutted. I even feel sick when I hear about people who did get an offer. However, I'm planning on going to Imperial College London and doing Biochemistry there instead. It's an amazing university and I did enjoy looking around, but Christ's college at Cambridge just felt so right...I guess it just wasn't the right place for me.

There are definitely benefits for choosing another university over Cambridge. I know people who have said ridiculous things, such as "it's either Cambridge or McDonald's for me" - that really isn't the case. Imperial has strong links with industry, in fact attending any Russell Group university is a pretty good start to whatever you want to do in the future if you're not keen on Imperial. Think about it, then go to the place you like the best.

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected just this morning for bio nataci... Absolutely gutted
    But I think I'll be joining you at ICL for biotechnology
    Now that I think about it maybe its a blessing in disguise: didn't feel right during the interview supervisions and maybe this method of teaching doesn't suit me
    Its sad to see a lot of talented people who definitely deserve to get in being rejected, but sometimes we get too caught up in the reputation just for a sense of security in our future career or starting salary we lose sight of whether we would enjoy the course, and I'm sure all of us will love whatever uni we go to
    (Let me dodge a bullet big guy)

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to Durham guys.

ReputationRep:
    A big part of life is starting over and doing things in a different way than you envisioned. Keep looking ahead, not backwards. If you learn to do this, it will benefit you hugely.

ReputationRep:
    The most intelligent guy I know got rejected for NatSci - I wouldn't worry lol.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.