Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I am currently an undergraduate International Relations and Legal Studies student at the University of Aberdeen. I enjoy it immensely. However, my parents are constantly trying to convince me that I will not be able to find a job with a degree in IR and that I should just switch to a degree in LLB instead.

Frankly, these constant talks are getting me a little (very) scared and annoyed. What are your thoughts on this? Should I do as my parents wish?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Nonsense. I did a politics degree and had no trouble finding a job afterwards because I got relevant work experience during my degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What kind of work experience did you get, if I may ask? How'd you find it?

Don't answer if you do not want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisappointedD)
    What kind of work experience did you get, if I may ask? How'd you find it?

Don't answer if you do not want to.
    I won't go into specifics, as that would make me highly identifiable.

However, I found the work experience via my university. I just took the job as a route to extra money, but it turned out that I quite liked it after all, and so I stayed in the same sector.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I am currently an undergraduate International Relations and Legal Studies student at the University of Aberdeen. I enjoy it immensely. However, my parents are constantly trying to convince me that I will not be able to find a job with a degree in IR and that I should just switch to a degree in LLB instead.

Frankly, these constant talks are getting me a little (very) scared and annoyed. What are your thoughts on this? Should I do as my parents wish?

Most graduate jobs don't require a particular degree, just a 2:1 in any degree and work experience to stand out from everyone else with a degree. An LLB wouldn't necessarily make things any better for you as you would then need to take another qualification and its very difficult to actually get a job as a solicitor or barrister atm.

If it makes you feel any more at ease, I've not long ago graduated from my International Relations degree, whilst I'm doing a masters many of my coursemates have got graduate level jobs including as: Policy Advisor for the Department of Health, Public Sector Internal Auditor, Insurance Claims Analyst. Project Support for an NHS Unit, Management Trainee- these are just the ones I know.

ReputationRep:
    It has been my experience, through watching others for 30 years, that the easiest way to pass a degree is to do it in a subject you enjoy.

I am currently an undergraduate International Relations and Legal Studies student at the University of Aberdeen. I enjoy it immensely.
    It has been my experience, through watching others for 30 years, that the best way to guarantee non-completion of a degree is to do the subject you were told to do, unless your parents provide really intensive support.

However, my parents are constantly trying to convince me that I will not be able to find a job with a degree in IR and that I should just switch to a degree in LLB instead.
    If they want to do a degree, point them at the Student Finance England and UCAS web sites. Or the OU.

In my 25 years of recruiting people in central government, local government and the private sector for technical and non-technical roles, I can assure you that:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Most graduate jobs don't require a particular degree, just a 2:1 in any degree and work experience to stand out from everyone else with a degree.
    My 12 years in project management have taught me this:

Have you got a plan? If so, then stick to it. If not, then do not stop what you are doing otherwise you're just flapping about wasting time and resources.

You should spend your life doing the degree you want to do. If it is a mistake, you will still have a degree at the end of it. If they wanted you doing law, they should have told you that when you were choosing your GCSEs, not now, 4 or 5 years too damn late.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I do IR at Birmingham and when I chose to do it and in first year I guess I was quite passionate about it and wanted a job in politics. I'm in second year now and tbh I've lost the passion and haven't thought about working in politics anymore. I think I still enjoy the course because I like learning about it but I can't see myself working in that environment. Some grad schemes do ask for specific degrees but some don't, just need to look in the right places. It would make sense to work out where your interests lie so you can get relevant work experience. I was thinking about doing law but then thought about the costs and the fact that I would probably get bored of it. I don't think the competiveness of law should put you off completely but only do it if you have a passion for it not because you think there's nothing else you think you can do. In other words I don't think law is something to fall back on if all else fails.

I do think there aren't as much grad schemes aimed towards IR/politics compared to others so you just have to find entry level grad jobs. I did go to a think tank this summer and they all just said the way to find work in politics is to do an internship and work your way up.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.