Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    QS World ranking (overall): 17
    QS World ranking (CompSci): 12

In most branches of engineering, however, Edinburgh fails to make the top 100.

My questions are:
    -What's the reason for this (is it really a lower quality course?)
    -Are people aware of this (i.e. is an engineering degree significantly less prestigious than a CompSci degree?)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by KarlK)
    -What's the reason for this?
    I don't know. Why does it matter?

-Are people aware of this (i.e. is an engineering degree significantly less prestigious than a CompSci degree?)
    The only people who bother with league tables are students, so no-one else is probably aware of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I don't know. Why does it matter?
    I may want to reconsider my choice if this particular course/uni combo is substandard.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by KarlK)
    I may want to reconsider my choice if this particular course/uni combo is substandard.
    The vast majority of engineering departments in the UK are probably much and such the same. There aren't any rankings that measure the things that I would say are actually important for an engineering student, so I wouldn't get distressed about what they say.

When I applied I had little reason to believe it was substandard (I didn't use league tables though as I never knew they existed). The only complaint I've heard about it from some is that the teaching is lacking somewhat, but the same is true of many large universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    The vast majority of engineering departments in the UK are probably much and such the same. There aren't any rankings that measure the things that I would say are actually important for an engineering student, so I wouldn't get distressed about what they say.

When I applied I had little reason to believe it was substandard (I didn't use league tables though as I never knew they existed). The only complaint I've heard about it from some is that the teaching is lacking somewhat, but the same is true of many large universities.
    Am I right in my assumption that you took engineering at Edinburgh? If so, would you be willing to provide a testimony of your time there? A simple "here's what we did, here what I liked about it, and here's what I didn't" will do.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by KarlK)
    Am I right in my assumption that you took engineering at Edinburgh? If so, would you be willing to provide a testimony of your time there? A simple "here's what we did, here what I liked about it, and here's what I didn't" will do.
    I applied but didn't end up going so can't really help you there I'm afraid.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.