The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Is Edinburgh's engineering course terrible?

QS World ranking (overall): 17
QS World ranking (CompSci): 12

In most branches of engineering, however, Edinburgh fails to make the top 100.

My questions are:
-What's the reason for this (is it really a lower quality course?)
-Are people aware of this (i.e. is an engineering degree significantly less prestigious than a CompSci degree?)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KarlK
-What's the reason for this?

I don't know. Why does it matter?

-Are people aware of this (i.e. is an engineering degree significantly less prestigious than a CompSci degree?)

The only people who bother with league tables are students, so no-one else is probably aware of this.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
I don't know. Why does it matter?

I may want to reconsider my choice if this particular course/uni combo is substandard.
Original post by KarlK
I may want to reconsider my choice if this particular course/uni combo is substandard.

The vast majority of engineering departments in the UK are probably much and such the same. There aren't any rankings that measure the things that I would say are actually important for an engineering student, so I wouldn't get distressed about what they say.

When I applied I had little reason to believe it was substandard (I didn't use league tables though as I never knew they existed). The only complaint I've heard about it from some is that the teaching is lacking somewhat, but the same is true of many large universities.
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
The vast majority of engineering departments in the UK are probably much and such the same. There aren't any rankings that measure the things that I would say are actually important for an engineering student, so I wouldn't get distressed about what they say.

When I applied I had little reason to believe it was substandard (I didn't use league tables though as I never knew they existed). The only complaint I've heard about it from some is that the teaching is lacking somewhat, but the same is true of many large universities.

Am I right in my assumption that you took engineering at Edinburgh? If so, would you be willing to provide a testimony of your time there? A simple "here's what we did, here what I liked about it, and here's what I didn't" will do.
Original post by KarlK
Am I right in my assumption that you took engineering at Edinburgh? If so, would you be willing to provide a testimony of your time there? A simple "here's what we did, here what I liked about it, and here's what I didn't" will do.

I applied but didn't end up going so can't really help you there I'm afraid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending