The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
If you have good marks on Maths and Physics then Cambridge Engineering could still be appropriate - especially if you are self-teaching FM AS.

BUT for Engineering you should be focussing on M units - D1, in particular, is a waste of time.

Ah, I know. I've done M1 in AS and will be doing M2 in A2. Is it possible to do M3 before M2 as I might do that instead. I only did D1 because my teacher forced me at the end as I had a week gap to learn the whole unit :tongue: I'm quite sure S1 comes in handy though so I might just do it too.
Original post by ChronicBoredom
Ah, I know. I've done M1 in AS and will be doing M2 in A2. Is it possible to do M3 before M2 as I might do that instead. I only did D1 because my teacher forced me at the end as I had a week gap to learn the whole unit :tongue: I'm quite sure S1 comes in handy though so I might just do it too.

I don't know enough about the maths syllabus - I'm sure someone will be along soon to help... :wink:

My point is if you are only doing AS FM there's no point wasting one of the 2 applied modules by taking D1 if you are planning on doing Engineering.
Original post by jneill
I don't know enough about the maths syllabus - I'm sure someone will be along soon to help... :wink:

My point is if you are only doing AS FM there's no point wasting one of the 2 applied modules by taking D1 if you are planning on doing Engineering.

Ah ok, thank you. Yeah, I was just saying that I already did it and I'm quite sure I'm going to get high ums but my teacher told me that Edexcel automatically assigns your applied modules according to your best scores :colonhash: so it would up as a part of my grade either way
Ah ok, thank you. Yeah, I was just saying that I already did it and I'm quite sure I'm going to get high ums but my teacher told me that Edexcel automatically assigns your applied modules according to your best scores :colonhash: so it would up as a part of my grade either way

So exactly which modules have you already done? And your estimated or achieved UMS in each one (if possible).
Reply 2924
Original post by MagicJigsaw
Did anyone applying for an Arts subject get made an offer of A*A*A? Feel like I'm the only one!

One of my good friends got an A*A*AA offer for classics. Is this (also) Magdalene college by any chance? I've heard they've taken the absolute piss with giving out high offers this year.
Original post by Jasey
One of my good friends got an A*A*AA offer for classics. Is this (also) Magdalene college by any chance? I've heard they've taken the absolute piss with giving out high offers this year.

Ouch, but maybe this is why they have been giving high offers:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/higher/tompkins-table-2015-magdalene-college-has-seen-a-remarkable-improvement-10391557.html
Original post by jneill
So exactly which modules have you already done? And your estimated or achieved UMS in each one (if possible).

C1- 98ums (did in yr 11)
M1- high-nineties (I hope)
D1- high nineties (I hope)
C2- no idea- my calculator funked up and I panicked so I used all the wrong numbers- might get a low a with method marks but don't really know. could be anything.
Hey guys I have a quick question, and hope someone may be able to shed light on it
Shortly before my exams, my mother very sadly passed away. Inevitably I was in no state to revise nor sit my exams, and missed both of my biology exams. I was on OCR biology, and had done the practical (which is 20%). Last year I got 93% UMS in biology, and in the practical I suppose I should get an A. My exams officer said they will generate me a grade, but without having done either A2 examination unit, I am unsure of the grade I'll receive, and naturally very anxious.

My teachers seem to think they'll give me an A, but I have no idea how they came to such a conclusion. Does anyone have any knowledge on this? Thanks
Original post by JamesJL
Hey guys I have a quick question, and hope someone may be able to shed light on it
Shortly before my exams, my mother very sadly passed away. Inevitably I was in no state to revise nor sit my exams, and missed both of my biology exams. I was on OCR biology, and had done the practical (which is 20%). Last year I got 93% UMS in biology, and in the practical I suppose I should get an A. My exams officer said they will generate me a grade, but without having done either A2 examination unit, I am unsure of the grade I'll receive, and naturally very anxious.

My teachers seem to think they'll give me an A, but I have no idea how they came to such a conclusion. Does anyone have any knowledge on this? Thanks

Hi,
I'm very sorry to hear about your mother. As far as I am aware they work it out based on your other module scores and what people who achieved that got in the modules you missed on average, and that grade goes on your certificate and it doesn't say you didn't sit the exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JamesJL

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form

Absolutely make sure one of these is filled out by your school and sent off with your application.

Very sorry to hear about your mother.
Original post by HopefulLawyerHG
Hi,
I'm very sorry to hear about your mother. As far as I am aware they work it out based on your other module scores and what people who achieved that got in the modules you missed on average, and that grade goes on your certificate and it doesn't say you didn't sit the exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by DJMayes
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form

Absolutely make sure one of these is filled out by your school and sent off with your application.

Very sorry to hear about your mother.

Thank you guys - it's much appreciated, and that doesn't sound like a bad process I hope they stick to that.

As I'm already an offer holder, me and my school just informed the college I had an offer at and they said they'd consider it if needed (w/e that entails)
Original post by JamesJL

I remember reading on an exam board's website what they do to generate a grade - all I remember is that they don't use your mock exam grade, or they don't take your mock exam grade into account or something.

My RS teacher got into Cambridge without sitting any of her exams due to extenuating circumstances. This is going back probably 5-10 years but I still hope that's of some consolation.

Sorry about your mother.
Original post by Jasey

Nope, Pembroke!
Original post by JamesJL

Hope it works out for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jasey

The average number of A*'s is 2.5 for entrants so its not an unreasonable offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Goods
The average number of A*'s is 2.5 for entrants so its not an unreasonable offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not unreasonable I agree, but for humanities the average will be lower. The 2.5 figure is probably skewed by science students.
No, I'd like to be though lol. Do you think I would have higher chances at Oxford, as they haven't mentioned any absolute requirements for further? If I tell them I am self-teaching it this year, do you think they would trust me and give me a chance, or is it too late? I did D1 already and I think I could learn S1 quite easily- I'm just worried about FP1. But I won't bother if there's no chance :/ Do you have an offer? :smile:

Yeah I have an offer. I don't think there's any disparity between Oxf and Cam regarding FM--both much prefer you to do it officially but you still have alright chances without it. I recommend self teaching A2 maths leading up to the summer, because I would have been ****ed in my interview if I hadn't done it the previous year haha. There is a website for people in your exact position for self-teaching FM. You can find lots of info on how they regard FM on the Cambridge Engineering Department's website.

Don't do M3 before M2, but going over their syllabi before interview is also a good idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MagicJigsaw
Nope, Pembroke!

What subject? I think Pembroke are vaguely harsher than average with offers (only think this anecdotally though).
Reply 2938
Original post by Goods

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Not unreasonable I agree, but for humanities the average will be lower. The 2.5 figure is probably skewed by science students.

Speaking as a humanities student, i didn't say it's ~unreasonable~ but in the type of subjects we do getting the A* is far more unpredictable and hence it's quite harsh considering that the majority of others for the same course would have just had an A*AA offer. I'm confident he'll get even 4A*s but for essay subjects no matter how good you are you can never ever be as certain so
Original post by Elcor
What subject? I think Pembroke are vaguely harsher than average with offers (only think this anecdotally though).

Philosophy. Ah right, I heard that colleges sometimes make higher offers if they were going to reject to but wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt, so hopefully it's just what you said instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending