The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elcor
Why are you sitting STEP I if it's not part of your Cambridge offer? I'm guessing it's part of other uni offers

It's easier then step 2 and 3 and if i miss step 3 a high mark in step 1 looks good ie(S). And it's good practice for the ones that matter as i've never sat an exam of that difficulty that will count so much towards my future. It makes the warwick place more probable then counting on step 2 or 3. As warwicks offer is a 2 in any step paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laurensmiley97
Aw no! But I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you go :smile: lol I hope our May Balls are as good as the one in the film! :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

The film doesn't even do them justice - they're better.
Original post by Elcor
Ah, they probably tweaked the facts of his life a bit there to appeal to the audience. When I visited Gonville and Caius college it wasn't much to look at.

How are you finding your course at Oxford? It sounds interesting.

Thank you. I'm in my 3rd year and really enjoying it. The workload is a bit intense. It has sort of got me interested in the fields of cognitive science and AI, so I'll be doing a master's in machine learning as applied to language at Cambridge next year.

I have an offer from Clare.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Blutooth
Thank you. I'm in my 3rd year and really enjoying it. The workload is a bit intense. It has sort of got me interested in the fields of cognitive science and AI, so I'll be doing a master's in machine learning as applied to language at Cambridge next year.

I have an offer from Clare.

Are you joining the 4th year of the Computer Science course at Cambridge?

Do a PhD in self-replicating robots :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
Are you joining the 4th year of the Computer Science course at Cambridge?

Do a PhD in self-replicating robots :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The MPhil is with the engineering dept.- I think engineering departments have a habit of stealing machine learning guys from compsci depts. But as I understand it compscis at Cam can do most/all of the machine learning modules in the engineering dept. I was also slightly peeved that the minimum requirement for a masters in CompSci at Cambridge is a first. A first from Oxford is hard, and though I am aiming for that it put me off a little bit.
The MPhil is with the engineering dept.- I think engineering departments have a habit of stealing machine learning guys from compsci depts. But as I understand it compscis at Cam can do most/all of the machine learning modules in the engineering dept. I was also slightly peeved that the minimum requirement for a masters in CompSci at Cambridge is a first. A first from Oxford is hard, and though I am aiming for that it put me off a little bit.

Is your degree grade determined by your rank in the year? That's the case for Cambridge Engineering which I find sad. I feel like it would reduce the camaraderie between fellow students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
That Kim Jong Un film got banned, or am I thinking of something else? Or was that just in America?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly don't know lol
I just heard some friends talking about some film
I think it's on the Internet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
Is your degree grade determined by your rank in the year? That's the case for Cambridge Engineering which I find sad. I feel like it would reduce the camaraderie between fellow students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think so. there are no hard limits but around 30% get firsts.
I wonder if that IHTWFR guy who was trolling the thread got an offer

I don't think so. there are no hard limits but around 30% get firsts.

I see. Grades permitting I might see you around the Engineering dept. next year then. Not that either of us would know who the other was.
Original post by Elcor
I wonder if that IHTWFR guy who was trolling the thread got an offer

I see. Grades permitting I might see you around the Engineering dept. next year then. Not that either of us would know who the other was.

I wonder if 100umsgod got one ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wonder if 100umsgod got one ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wonder if he even was an applicant...
Original post by aersh8
I wonder if he even was an applicant...

Lol if he wasnt. What a saddo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by umutalberts
Yeah :smile: I'm just not thrilled about the 1 hour or so walk to west cambridge site where my department is :P I've seen vids - they're better!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Uni4 bus comes past your door to west Cambridge and in the first two years you are mostly in the centre of Cambridge so not as bad as you think.
Lol if he wasnt. What a saddo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He deffo wasn't. Purely a troll.

:troll:
Original post by uklizzie
The Uni4 bus comes past your door to west Cambridge and in the first two years you are mostly in the centre of Cambridge so not as bad as you think.

Aha! But I'll have to waste money on that!
Any point forking out on getting to Durham?

Like I love Bristol, so should I bother visiting Durham just for the insurance choice?

Hmmmmmmmm
I'm currently having the same debate about York

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cearl Strigoielg
I'm currently having the same debate about York

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I'll let my friend visit and let me know what he thinks

Or j insure Bristol and make sure I don't miss firm
Btw guys

My friend bought me a t shirt for my birthday

That has L'Evil Fish written on it

I will wear it with pride during freshers maybe :lol: