The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by newblood
Because I find it hard to believe,especially given it asks for an S in any STEP paper when cambridge dont care about STEP I at all for mathematicians.

But if true I am curious to see what college gave the offer

They do, all the international and IB people got 1,S offers in STEP 1 n 2 from my college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
They do, all the international and IB people got 1,S offers in STEP 1 n 2 from my college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Youre college is messed though. So all those S,1 offers were for Papers I and II? That is true if they havent taken further maths. I find it hard to believe that even fitz would accept that many people with no fmaths A2.
Youre college is messed though. So all those S,1 offers were for Papers I and II? That is true if they havent taken further maths. I find it hard to believe that even fitz would accept that many people with no fmaths A2.

Na, not all. The people who do IB got S1 in step 1 n 2 aswell as internationals who do IB. The ones who did A levels maths and FM, the ones i asked had S1 in step 2,3.
It was only like 3 people i spoke to who did IB and had s1 in step 1 n 2. The others had it for step 2 n 3 which was around 3 people. Which in total is around half the people who had offers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Na, not all. The people who do IB got S1 in step 1 n 2 aswell as internationals who do IB. The ones who did A levels maths and FM, the ones i asked had S1 in step 2,3.
It was only like 3 people i spoke to who did IB and had s1 in step 1 n 2. The others had it for step 2 n 3 which was around 3 people. Which in total is around half the people who had offers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its just the IB thing spec is messed up in terms of further maths apparently. Otherwise some of them would have 11 in 2 n 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because I find it hard to believe,especially given it asks for an S in any STEP paper when cambridge dont care about STEP I at all for mathematicians.

But if true I am curious to see what college gave the offer

I don't know the college but I do know it wasn't Trinity, Christ's, Queens' or Churchill.

Given he already has 1 1 1 they probably just want to make sure he's still up to scratch after a gap year hence the S in any STEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bit late, but anyway:

Queens'
Unconditional (Gap year)
Chinese
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tian1Sky
Bit late, but anyway:

Queens'
Unconditional (Gap year)
Chinese

Ooh I have an offer from Queens' too, have you studied Chinese before just out of curiosity?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Ooh I have an offer from Queens' too, have you studied Chinese before just out of curiosity?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, but the course doesn't require any previous knowledge of the language.
Original post by Tian1Sky
Nope, but the course doesn't require any previous knowledge of the language.

Ah cool I studied it to AS level so I was wondering if I'd have anyone to practice it with haha, I don't get too much at the minute

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Ah cool I studied it to AS level so I was wondering if I'd have anyone to practice it with haha, I don't get too much at the minute

Posted from TSR Mobile

For now you will have to help me, but in time there will be plenty of opportunities to practice.
Original post by jneill
I don't know the college but I do know it wasn't Trinity, Christ's, Queens' or Churchill.

Given he already has 1 1 1 they probably just want to make sure he's still up to scratch after a gap year hence the S in any STEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well given I have 1 1 1 in STEP and have an unconditional cambridge offer im just curious (and i think you have probably mistaken this person for me so i dont know why you think theres an S offer involved- which is why i still ask what username). If it is a different person, probably his interviews didnt go well enough so they wanted to be on the safe side, but i have talked to many colleges (including Queen's Trinity and Christ's) who all said if i were to apply with my current grades then any offer i get would be an unconditional offer. And this appears to be the general consensus among all colleges
Well given I have 1 1 1 in STEP and have an unconditional cambridge offer im just curious (and i think you have probably mistaken this person for me so i dont know why you think theres an S offer involved- which is why i still ask what username). If it is a different person, probably his interviews didnt go well enough so they wanted to be on the safe side, but i have talked to many colleges (including Queen's Trinity and Christ's) who all said if i were to apply with my current grades then any offer i get would be an unconditional offer. And this appears to be the general consensus among all colleges

He's a friend of my son.
Original post by jneill
He's a friend of my son.

Oh curious, guess interview werent so great - sorry to doubt you, just seemed strange. Please find out what college as i am interested to know
Yo people join in - let's get hurting so that we can sort or soon to be colleges one this signs is game over!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2226344
Oh curious, guess interview werent so great - sorry to doubt you, just seemed strange. Please find out what college as i am interested to know

You are making assumptions. Anyway it's not important. My point is we shouldn't be telling gap year Maths applicants they won't be asked to take STEP again. Congrats that they didn't for you but my case shows they can, and do.

The ATs judge applicants holistically and make whatever offer they feel suits the particular situation.
Original post by jneill
You are making assumptions. Anyway it's not important. My point is we shouldn't be telling gap year Maths applicants they won't be asked to take STEP again. Congrats that they didn't for you but my case shows they can, and do.

The ATs judge applicants holistically and make whatever offer they feel suits the particular situation.

Yes but its very rare. yes im making an assumption, but it is a likely one given his grades clearly werent the problem and christs admissions tutor told me that i would only get a conditional offer if my interview went badly and they still wanted to give an offer.

But in general the policy is a gapyear mathematician without step will have to sit in gapyear, one with 1,1 will almost certainly not have to. I have this on official authority, whixh is why i should still like to know what college. And its pretty likely due to bad interview (or bad alevels i suppose) thst he was asked for S
Yes but its very rare. yes im making an assumption, but it is a likely one given his grades clearly werent the problem and christs admissions tutor told me that i would only get a conditional offer if my interview went badly and they still wanted to give an offer.

But in general the policy is a gapyear mathematician without step will have to sit in gapyear, one with 1,1 will almost certainly not have to. I have this on official authority, whixh is why i should still like to know what college. And its pretty likely due to bad interview (or bad alevels i suppose) thst he was asked for S

If someone on a gap year hadnt done step i bet they would be asked for SS or something like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If someone on a gap year hadnt done step i bet they would be asked for SS or something like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope. All depends on how strong the other parts of your application are. CD315 applied on gapyear without doing STEP and he got a 1,1 offer.
OGBU
Original post by Elcor
OGBU

The divine <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending