Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    No, don't expect an answer which is supposed to be a joke.

I never did get around to asking this in my history lessons, but why do Americans speak English, or most? I am aware that Europeans went to settle there in the 19th Century but that's all I know.

And if anyone is really bored, you can tell me about the Australians. Are they all really descendents of English criminals?

ReputationRep:
    Australians about from a few original auzzies are all english decendants. It was english people who built the major aussie cities.

However many emigrated who were not crinimals.

As for Amercia I would guess it was because its a british person (Christopher Collumbus) who discovered it.

ReputationRep:
    Former British colonies, I suppose. A lot of emigration from England itself + English as the adminstrative language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Australians about from a few original auzzies are all english decendants. It was english people who built the major aussie cities.

As for Amercia I would guess it was because its a british person (Christopher Collumbus) who discovered it.
    Didn't he discover it before any White Europeans settled it?

Thanks for your help so far.

ReputationRep:
    You might find this useful.

ReputationRep:
    The non-aboriginal Australians are in the main descended from convicts sent there from Botany Bay in England. Of course since the Victorian times many non-convicts emigrated as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)

I never did get around to asking this in my history lessons, but why do Americans speak English, or most? I am aware that Europeans went to settle there in the 19th Century but that's all I know.

And if anyone is really bored, you can tell me about the Australians. Are they all really descendents of English criminals?

I believe there was a vote, and English got one more vote than German or something...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)

The original settlers were Pilgrims from England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    I believe there was a vote, and English got one more vote than German or something...
    That was in Pennsylvania.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    I thought that too, before I found the above website. Seems to be a bit of a myth. The vote was for the proposed translation of federal laws into German, not on the official language of America.

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing the poor Indians might have spotted it first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    There's also evidence that Vikings made it to the US before Chris thought he'd found India.

ReputationRep:

Christopher Columbus wasn't British.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    And of course Columbus wasn't british

He was Italian and was paid by (and representing) Spain when he discovered the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    And of course Columbus wasn't british

He was Italian and was paid by (and representing) Spain when he discovered the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus
    That's right. He was basically a freelance mariner.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    If you're really interested buy and read this book http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
    Or borrow it from the library.

ReputationRep:
    So why do they speak english? Also why does Christepher Coloumbus have an english name if he was italian?

ReputationRep:
    So why do they speak english? Also why does Christepher Coloumbus have an english name if he was italian?
    See post 8.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    If you're really interested buy and read this book http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
    Or borrow it from the library.
    Thanks for the link, that book looks utterly fantastic.

Thanks for everyones help.

ReputationRep:
    He was Italian - dunno about the name, but that's a fact. Yes, we did a lot of the settling later on, and the original 13 colonies were once British territory (which might explain the English), but it was Columbus, working for the Spanish Royal family, who was the first explorer there, though the whole Viking question persists.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.