Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Also different spelling

Z when we use S (in some words)
    Color instead of Colour

There are quite a few others which I can't think of right now.
    But the words sound the same, just spelled differently. btw, I didn't know you all spelled color like that.

ReputationRep:
    There are greater differences with English regarding to London Cockney slang than a few different spellings taking out a U and replacing an S with a Z. Yet London Cockney is considered English more than 'US' English by the looks of it things.

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by amazingtrade
    Lol but we still understand them just. Although I do have difficulities with understanding the yank accent. I don't get this nonense:

"like yeah, the color blue is like so last year!"
    I totaly understand the way Americans speek it seems perfectly normal to me, but that could be the fact that I watch way too much t.v to be good for a human.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Australians about from a few original auzzies are all english decendants. It was english people who built the major aussie cities.

However many emigrated who were not crinimals.

As for Amercia I would guess it was because its a british person (Christopher Collumbus) who discovered it.
    mmhh, since when is Christopher Columnus English? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Moncal)
    But the words sound the same, just spelled differently. btw, I didn't know you all spelled color like that.
    im borred , so i can think of favourite/favorite, programe/programme, analyse/analyze... if neone cares :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i Don't know that is a good question i'll have to look it up!

ReputationRep:
    Just a random comment that only vaguely links in with this topic but I thought I'd bring it up anyway. I was on holiday in America a few weeks ago and I was talking to my sister about something and these Americans were sitting next to us and a few minutes later one of them turned to me and asked me if I spoke English. Now that annoyed me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Just a random comment that only vaguely links in with this topic but I thought I'd bring it up anyway. I was on holiday in America a few weeks ago and I was talking to my sister about something and these Americans were sitting next to us and a few minutes later one of them turned to me and asked me if I spoke English. Now that annoyed me!
    How is that annoying? In fact I view that as cautious and non-assumptious (sp). Non English speaking people do get fed up with Americans etc thinking they must speak English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    It's possible that they couldn't understand you due to your accent.

ReputationRep:
    It's possible that they couldn't understand you due to your accent.
    But what if he has an English accent? Surely Americans should know the English accent? Since they love it or whatever....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    But what if he has an English accent? Surely Americans should know the English accent? Since they love it or whatever....
    how do u know americans love english accent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shushimeng)
    how do u know americans love english accent?
    A lot of them do. I have American female friends and having read nearly every thread on here as well, people's experience of visiting the USA. I don't know why it exists. Not saying they all like it but quite a few do. Then again I like a Dubliner's accent.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people who don't natively speak English learn the language with the English accent (as opposed to American accent), so I can understand why someone wouldn't be certain about one's origins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    A lot of people who don't natively speak English learn the language with the English accent (as opposed to American accent), so I can understand why someone wouldn't be certain about one's origins.
    But sometimes you can tell those who are native speakers and those who aren't.

ReputationRep:
    Some accents are just hard to understand. For instance, I have trouble understanding heavy northern accents.

ReputationRep:
    Some accents are just hard to understand. For instance, I have trouble understanding heavy northern accents.
    LOL. So do I, Geordie ugh. And I'm English. Northern Ireland can be a bit difficult at times.

ReputationRep:
    LOL. So do I, Geordie ugh. And I'm English. Northern Ireland can be a bit difficult at times.
    I meant northern american accents. Like the people that live in new york and boston ect. lol

ReputationRep:
    I meant northern american accents. Like the people that live in new york and boston ect. lol
    I can understand them myself, it's my friends I speak to living in Texas for me! Looks like the not so understandable accents arise from the north for both of us. Although a non-blood relative of mine comes from Inverness in Scotland which is further up north than Glasgow and his accent is more understandable than those from Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    But sometimes you can tell those who are native speakers and those who aren't.
    True, but if it were just a brief bit of conversation, it wouldn't be much to base the assumption on.

ReputationRep:
    I can understand them myself, it's my friends I speak to living in Texas for me! Looks like the not so understandable accents arise from the north for both of us. Although a non-blood relative of mine comes from Inverness in Scotland which is further up north than Glasgow and his accent is more understandable than those from Glasgow.
    Rich tells me that I type with a texan accent so can you understand the texan accent or not? He says that me typing "ya'll" makes him want to throw up or something like that.

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.