Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What should I change about my diet to lose weight? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5 ft 2.75 inches and I weight 49 kg. My goal weight is 46 kg.

This is what I usually eat everyday.

Breakfast: Half a bowl of wholegrain oatmeal, semi-skimmed milk, 2 spoons of sugar, 2 spoons of honey.

Lunch: 250 ml carton of pure orange juice, Chicken sandwhich with brown bread.

Dinner: Pot noodles/ A table spoon of rice with chicken curry.

Snack: A slice of chocolate cake/ A fruit.

What should I change to reach my goal weight?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Count calories. Make sure your body is using more than you're eating. I recommend myfitnesspal, it's a great app that makes calorie-counting so easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't eat sugar and chocolate and just eat 1 tbs of honey. Obviously
    Don't forget about 2liters of water

ReputationRep:
    And try to reduce carbs after 4 pm , it's better to have something full of protein for dinner
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by xenialesk)
    Don't eat something high in sugar and this other thing high in sugar. But eat this stuff high in sugar???

I don't understand!

And try to reduce carbs after 4 pm , it's better to have something full of protein for dinner
    Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    nonsense, carb timing is irrelevant to fat loss if you're in a deficit you'll still lose weight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your name XD

ReputationRep:
    Exercise more

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Don't eat something high in sugar and this other thing high in sugar. But eat this stuff high in sugar???
    One tablespoon of good honey in the morning won't do you any harm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg Jackson)
    nonsense, carb timing is irrelevant to fat loss if you're in a deficit you'll still lose weight
    so are you saying that one can eat sweets and cakes all day but if he won't exceed 1400 calories or so per day - he will still be losing weight? funny

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing inherently fattening about sugar and chocolate. Raw chocolate in moderation is actually quite good for you.

No, no and no. Better to have no carbs for breakfast, and eat them mainly at night.
    Cortisol=highest in morning=increased free fatty acid release. This +fasted state=increased fat burning. In the absence of insulin, growth hormone levels reach a peak at ~2 hours post waking up. Growth hormone ramps up fat burning and preserves lean muscle mass.

Eat carbs for breakfast and you increase insulin. Increase insulin and you shutdown growth hormone production, shut down mobilization of triglycerides (fat) for fuel and use the carbs instead. Following this if insulin was raised too high you'll get an energy crash as the insulin rapidly clears blood sugar, making you hungry again earlier than if you didn't eat carbs for breakfast, leave you feeling like **** for a while, and giving you more cravings for carbs.

Eating carbs prompts the release of serotonin, so eating carbs at night will actually help getting to sleep easily, and if you overdo it and get tired from the blood sugar crash then who cares, you can go to bed anyway.

The modern diet of jam+white toast/cereals with sugar alongside fruit juice for breakfast is just about the worst thing you can do if you actually want to function optimally. Restricting carbs past 4pm is really the opposite of what you should be doing- carbs AFTER 4pm only (besides if you resistance trained in the morning, in which case muscle cells have a unique mechanism to draw in glucose in the absence of insulin that is strongly active for multiple hours post-workout- which means the carbs are preferentially used to replenish muscle glycogen over being stored as fat, assuming you have glycogen to replenish).

------

If your goal is to lose fat it especially makes sense to fast a bit after waking up, eat your first meal as fats+proteins+cruciferous vegetables, then introduce carbs in your last meal to relax yourself (seretonin) and help you sleep- both from a diet adherence AND hormonal optimization/regulation point of view.

ReputationRep:
    so are you saying that one can eat sweets and cakes all day but if he won't exceed 1400 calories or so per day - he will still be losing weight? funny
    ABSOLUTELY.

(assuming they burn on average more than 1400 cals per day- there is NO WAY to break the energy conservation laws of the universe, that energy HAS to come from somewhere in your body=loss of weight).

You'll feel like absolute **** though and rapidly start to suffer from micro nutrient and vitamin deficiencies and the illnesses that follow.

Edit:

I have actually done a slightly less extreme version of this myself (lost a lot of fat through eating mainly garbage)- though in my case in place of sweets and cakes it was tiramisu, biscuits/cookies, crisps and icecream! -although I had a single enforced high vegetable+meat meal everyday, and did supplement with protein powder as otherwise I was quite lacking. Didn't feel good though and wouldn't recommend it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    There is nothing inherently fattening about sugar and chocolate. Raw chocolate in moderation is actually quite good for you.

No, no and no. Better to have no carbs for breakfast, and eat them mainly at night.
    Cortisol=highest in morning=increased free fatty acid release. This +fasted state=increased fat burning. In the absence of insulin, growth hormone levels reach a peak at ~2 hours post waking up. Growth hormone ramps up fat burning and preserves lean muscle mass.

Eat carbs for breakfast and you increase insulin. Increase insulin and you shutdown growth hormone production, shut down mobilization of triglycerides (fat) for fuel and use the carbs instead. Following this if insulin was raised too high you'll get an energy crash as the insulin rapidly clears blood sugar, making you hungry again earlier than if you didn't eat carbs for breakfast, leave you feeling like **** for a while, and giving you more cravings for carbs.

Eating carbs prompts the release of serotonin, so eating carbs at night will actually help getting to sleep easily, and if you overdo it and get tired from the blood sugar crash then who cares, you can go to bed anyway.

The modern diet of jam+white toast/cereals with sugar alongside fruit juice for breakfast is just about the worst thing you can do if you actually want to function optimally. Restricting carbs past 4pm is really the opposite of what you should be doing- carbs AFTER 4pm only (besides if you resistance trained in the morning, in which case muscle cells have a unique mechanism to draw in glucose in the absence of insulin that is strongly active for multiple hours post-workout- which means the carbs are preferentially used to replenish muscle glycogen over being stored as fat, assuming you have glycogen to replenish).

------

If your goal is to lose fat it especially makes sense to fast a bit after waking up, eat your first meal as fats+proteins+cruciferous vegetables, then introduce carbs in your last meal to relax yourself (seretonin) and help you sleep- both from a diet adherence AND hormonal optimization/regulation point of view.
    What you've just said is absolutely contrary to what my trainer advised when I was losing weight. And to most of the articles that I've read...Anyway I just shared what helped me personally and it's up to the thread starter what to believe.

ReputationRep:
    essentially yes you would, in a caloric deficit you ALWAYS lose weight/fat, it's physically impossible not to (laws of thermodynamics) however if you ate 1400 cals of cakes and sweets you'd likely be deficient in protein and many micronutrients and as a result lose a lot of muscle and have ****ed up hormones and feel like crap

ReputationRep:
    What you've just said is absolutely contrary to what my trainer advised when I was losing weight. And to most of the articles that I've read...Anyway I just shared what helped me personally and it's up to the thread starter what to believe.
    I'm not at all surprised. The vast amount of "trainers" have no real clue when it comes to nutritional science or even how to train people effectively for certain goals. What they have to do to get the qualifications to be certified PTs is quite frankly a laugh (and even then I'm not sure its even a formal requirement to be a gym PT). Some of the stuff I've heard PTs spout from gyms I've been in is just quite awful.

But the thing is if a trainer tells you to "eat healthy" and "restrict carbs past 4pm" then what is typically happening behind the scenes is reduced calorie intake (because 'healthy' foods like green veggies, beans, foods, meats/fish are typically much less calorie dense than 'unhealthy' foods like chocolate bars, cake, doughnuts etc, so you feel more full from the same ammount of calories eaten) and increased micronutrient intake (making you feel better). Telling someone to cut out a whole macronutrient group past 4pm will of course further lessen the ammount of calories they will eat if left to themselves, so the end effect (even though that isn't explicitly what you are being told to do by the trainer) is a reduction in calores= weight loss, although it confuses the matter and you now have a legion of people that think it was the "eating healthy" that was driving weightloss, not the calorie restriction.

ReputationRep:
    Avoid sugar, salt, dairy (cheese, milk). Oily foods. And don't eat too many carbohydrate foods. Such as bread, especially white bread, substitute for brown bread.

Substitute sugar for honey in a lot of cases such as tea.
    But don't rely on your diet exercise too to maintain a healthy body and good body shape.

ReputationRep:
    Remove the sugar and chocolate cake from your diet. Most importantly, though, make sure you exercise. Any cardio workout would be ideal! Start with walking then upgrade to jogging/running (half an hour to an hour most days of the week). You need to burn more calories than you consume, that's the trick. (Consume less, burn more).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    I'm not at all surprised. The vast amount of "trainers" have no real clue when it comes to nutritional science or even how to train people effectively for certain goals. What they have to do to get the qualifications to be certified PTs is quite frankly a laugh (and even then I'm not sure its even a formal requirement to be a gym PT). Some of the stuff I've heard PTs spout from gyms I've been in is just quite awful.

But the thing is if a trainer tells you to "eat healthy" and "restrict carbs past 4pm" then what is typically happening behind the scenes is reduced calorie intake (because 'healthy' foods like green veggies, beans, foods, meats/fish are typically much less calorie dense than 'unhealthy' foods like chocolate bars, cake, doughnuts etc, so you feel more full from the same ammount of calories eaten) and increased micronutrient intake (making you feel better). Telling someone to cut out a whole macronutrient group past 4pm will of course further lessen the ammount of calories they will eat if left to themselves, so the end effect (even though that isn't explicitly what you are being told to do by the trainer) is a reduction in calores= weight loss, although it confuses the matter and you now have a legion of people that think it was the "eating healthy" that was driving weightloss, not the calorie restriction.
    I actually ate more than before, basically it was something like complex carbs in the morning, complex carbs + protein+ vegetables for lunch and just protein for dinner and protein again between the meals if felt hungry - or a fruit if it's before 4pm. There were more carbs on gym days after working out. So what exactly is wrong with that? I felt just great, lost fat without losing my muscles.I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just curious. You do seem like a knowledgeble person though
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Different things work for different people.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.