Was anyone else disappointed that one of the terrorists was black?

Watch
Guy Secretan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Was anyone else disappointed that one of the terrorists was black? I mean most terrorists are of arab extraction I kind of felt oh no this is gonna be more negative press for black people. Also did anyone think the female was kind of cute?
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Michael Adebolajo & Michael Adebowale are black as was one of the London bombers, Germaine Lindsay.
Guy Secretan
Rep:
?
True but I think that was more because it was home grown terrorism, I don't think they were even born in the middle east yet they were moaning about western intervention.
ha27
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
no i am not sure if he too was a muslim but black muslims do exist you know...

Posted from TSR Mobile
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i guess they are equal opportunity terrorists
SirMasterKey
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Guy Secretan)
Was anyone else disappointed that one of the terrorists was black? I mean most terrorists are of arab extraction I kind of felt oh no this is gonna be more negative press for black people. Also did anyone think the female was kind of cute?
What about the IRA? The ETA?
Guy Secretan
Rep:
?
(Original post by SirMasterKey)
What about the IRA? The ETA?
yeah sorry I meant most islamic terrorists
al_94
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You are crazy. Terrorism has no colour. Boko Haram are probably the most violent and they are black
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
you're "disappointed"? as in you're disappointed in black people...?
slade p
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Actually coming to think about it there have been quite a lot of black men involved in terrorism.
A Mysterious Lord
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The attack was religiously motivated, not ethnically motivated.
Ndella
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
He's from Senegal which is a predominantly Muslim country. The terrorist's colour has nothing to do with what motivated his actions.
Black Cat
Report 6 years ago
I wasn't too surprised tbh because of the two Nigerian guys who killed Lee Rigby last year black people are becoming increasingly involved in islamic extremist behaviour.
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Boko Haram and Al Shabaab are both black Islamist terror groups.
neal95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Islam isn't a race it's a religion so the fact that many African countries are predominately Muslim means that it is highly likely a black person will be invoked in a terrorist incident in some capacity. They may not be as common as Middle eastern terrorists but it's definitely common as evidenced by Boko haram in Nigeria etc
Aku-gila
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In a strange way yes, simply because there are a lot of stupid people out there (e.g. slade p above) who will start to look at this from an ethnic standpoint when it clearly a religiously motivated attack and nothing more.

Was I surprised? No. There have been terrorists from all backgrounds throughout recent history so whether they're white, black or asian, I'm not shocked. Wasn't the female one caucasian after all? She looked it in the picture I've seen of her, and that didn't shock me either. I'm sure there won't be a backlash from that though..
Sgt.Incontro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
LOL at the ignorant people in this thread not being aware that black muslims exist.
Octohedral
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Islam is prevalent in many African countries. Interestingly, Christianity is also prevalent - for historical reasons - and Christianity and Islam have a lot in common. I think both of the Lee Rigby killers came from strict Christian families. A lot of terrorists are converts, because they are more isolated and susceptible to radicalisation.
Meenglishnogood
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Guy Secretan)
He was a muslim convert, I heard he spen a lot of time in jail before too. A lot ofblack people in france ( and uk I suppose) have been targetted for conversion by islamists, particulalry those that have lost any ties with mainstream society. Note there are plenty of white islamicconverts too btw, for example richrd dart, who is currently in prison for plotting terrorsist acts, and various others who were probablyactually white criminals football thugs and far right racists. Islamist ideology is not simpy a arab/brown problem
Octohedral
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aku-gila)
In a strange way yes, simply because there are a lot of stupid people out there (e.g. slade p above) who will start to look at this from an ethnic standpoint when it clearly a religiously motivated attack and nothing more.
Colour in itself means nothing, but I think culture is as relevant as religion. For example, the 'white widow', who is the daughter of a British army soldier, represents a slightly different kind of problem from the Lee Rigby killers, who were brought up in strict Nigerian Christian families. They may perform the act in the name of Islam, but their motivations are deeply rooted in their upbringing.

But yes, I hope this doesn't descend into blatant racism.

There are a significant number of white convert terrorists, and people seem to view it as 'an attention seeking phase', whilst they view the equivalent for a black person as 'omg of course you were a terrorist all along'. That is racism, and that is wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (37)
22.56%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (79)
48.17%
I'm unsure (48)
29.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise