x Turn on thread page Beta

Diggy's transformation blog watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Only a day late really as I started my new workout yesterday

Here is it for the curious :

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lee-...y-trainer.html

Starting weight10.06 stones

I'm not in this to get ripped, I don't wanna be one of those guys who has to wear polos/t-shirts everywhere because nothing else fits, this contest is more about slightly building upon what I have and maintaining consistency and structure in my life

Goals : Stronger left arm
    Better defined torso (chest/abs)
    Increase of stamina

I'm not following a diet plan ( I eat pretty healthy already) this blog will be to log the progress of my work out and any other sport related activies that I do (Boxing,Table tennis and football)

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna put these past two days together :

Day 1
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lee-...k-1-day-1.html

Excercise and Weights used
    Alternate Bicep Curl: L 10kg for 1st set 8kg for 2nd set R10kg for both sets

Standing Barbell Curl : 10kg each side

Bent over two dumbell row : L 8kg for both sets R10kg for both sets

The workout was fairly good, the bent over two dumbell row absolutely destroyed my shoulders, took me a while to get started as I really wanted to make sure that my form was good, but once I got going my could really feel the excercise in my shoulders, biceps and back of my legs funnily enough (i'mma call that a 3 in 1 excercise)

The Ellipitical trainer was the most difficult thing for me, I did it using the standard interval programme. I was surprised at how much I was struggling but that was probably due to the high resistance, I'll become back to conquer and slay the machine on Sunday though

The weirdest thing with going to a new gym is how everyone stares at you, weighing you up through grunts and faces full of sweat. Once I took off my jacket and whipped out the guns (leftie and rightie) everybody knew what was up, I strutted over to the dumbells and picked up the 5kgs by accident (the symbols were hard to read ) which was met by howls of laughter lool.

I upped it to 10kg once I realised my mistake, but I guess that links to another aim of mine for the year, I want to be as strong as I look. I have no problems with physical tasks, but when it comes to working out I can't seem to motivate my muscles to work.

Day 2

http://www.fitnessblender.com/videos...ithout-weights

My university gym closed early today, so unfortunately I couldn't go to the gym, but instead I carried out Pull - ups on my bar in my room and found a chest workout online (today's chest day).

The chest workout revolved around push ups mainly, but it consisted of like 5 variations! Its fair to say my biceps and upper got no rest and now my chest is burning too. The best variation invovled having one leg raised off the ground for 1 set of 10 then alternative with the other leg, it completely shifted my weight to the side with the leg off the ground providing a challenging but manageable work out

It was meant to last 10 mins. not gonna lie I only lasted 5 mins but I will be doing it again. I also go to the gym by myself so I dont do the incline bench press (who's gonna spot me tho!?) so I'll be doing press ups instead, the most rewarding workouts for me are ones that make me use my own weight for the excercise, I don't know why but its really rewarding lifting 10 stone of African meat off the ground

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, you can do incline bench without a spotter as long as you use a weight that you can handle comfortably (its what i do). The other alternative would be to use dumbbells instead of a barbell and then simply drop the weights if you get to a rep that you can't quite complete (providing your gym allows dropping weights and no-one is immediately nearby of course).

Keep it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackx)
    Hey there, you can do incline bench without a spotter as long as you use a weight that you can handle comfortably (its what i do). The other alternative would be to use dumbbells instead of a barbell and then simply drop the weights if you get to a rep that you can't quite complete (providing your gym allows dropping weights and no-one is immediately nearby of course).

Keep it up.
    Thanks for the tip, that's what i'll probably do

ReputationRep:
    Day 3

Not gonna lie to you, going to the gym today was a dream and a half. I've been revising for exams like crazy, woke up late and had to make up the time missed. sozzums

Day 4

Just Cardio toady on the epilliptical bike, did it on the interval training programme. I only had to do it for 45 mins with heavy pedalling every other 3 minutes, for 4 minutes. This one really hits the quads and glutes so much so im still feeling it now lol

My kegs were hurting too much, but since I wanted to do cardio for 1hr I used the treadmill for 15 mins. The thing is with the treadmill even as an asthmatic I can use it for ages, it doesn't really compare to outdoors running UNLESS you up the speed quite abit and also raise the platform. This is how I did it today and it felt similar to jogging outdoors, without being killed by these frosty elements

ReputationRep:
    University exams.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Day 5

2 Sets of 10 leg raises with 5 to failure
    30 Crunches (3 sets of 10)
    Single hip raises 20 each leg
    2 sets of 10 Dumbell Lunges - 8kg Left 9kg Right

Yesterday was abs and legs day, threw in the epilectical bike just because its very effective. The leg raises left me gasping for air and my abs feelsing so tight, this excercise really is the bread and butter for any abs routine IMO.

Single leg hip raises are another excercise i'm a massive fan of, very straightforward but you feel the burn in your legs. The workout I'm following suggests I use machines but I prefer just using dumbells and my own body weight for most excercises in all honesty

I haven't been going to the gym everday, but this is still more excercise than I've ever done in my life in such a short period of time so I'm fairly content with my progress

ReputationRep:
    exams finished !

Gonna be going to the gym ery' day, fork what anybody say!

Going now will update laterz

ReputationRep:
    Day 6

Chest shoulders and triceps

Epiletical Bike : 4.16 KM Avg 129 steps 295 Cals burnt

Side Lateral raise: Left - 7KG Right 8kg 2 sets of 10, failure set: 3 reps

Seated dumbell press: Left 7KG = 7 reps,lowered weight Left= 5kg = 5 weight
    [B]Right[B]= 7KG 3 sets of 10

Butterfly : Left = 5kg 10 reps Right= 7kg = 2.5 sets of 10

Lift of shame Left = 14kg 2 sets of ten
    My left was being was a weakling so I made it suffer for its shame

Fairly good workout, i've really improved on the bike before it was a pain but its paying off. Regarding the lifting it was a poor session, I kept messing around with weights it made me spend longer at the gym than expected. Worst of all no burn, next time I'm going to use lower weights to maintain my form

ReputationRep:
    Hey did you do your cardio before or after you did weights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackx)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not always no but most times yes id say 3 out of every 5 sessions start with cardio

ReputationRep:
    Day 7

Epiletical Bike: 4.20KM 314 cals burnt average stride 125
    (Strange everything's increased but my avg. stride hmm)

Crunches: 3 sets of 10 (yah no failure)

Lying leg raises : 2.5 sets of 10
    This was absolutely killer. Doing them wasnt the problem but my abs always become so tight I literally cant breath

Dumbell Lunges: 6kg 2 sets of 10 each side
    Quickly becoming my favourite exercise, straightforward, effective, my bread and butter on legs day

Leg press: 1st set of 10 64kg, 2nd and 3rd sets 73kg
    (Really good, the tutorial videos on mybodybuilding.com are really great at explaining form, if your not doing the exercise properly there's no point, plus you risk injury - Shout out to Mackx for the advice

Tried to do stiff leg dumbell raises but my lower back really started to ache, if I keep this gym thing up for a month I'll buy myself a yoga mat and work on stretches in my room

ReputationRep:
    It might be a good idea for you to consider trying a strength program? Focus on like Bench, Deadlift, squat, OHP, rows etc.

I also would not recommend using different sized dumbbells on each hand, you're just promoting more imbalance.

Also how intense are your cardio sessions? If they are intense then 100% do them after weights otherwise you're just gonna have no energy when it comes to lifting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0range)
    It might be a good idea for you to consider trying a strength program? Focus on like Bench, Deadlift, squat, OHP, rows etc.

I realise that this won't make me a hulk over night, but I feel as if I'm big enough already, I just want to add some strength through a controlled lean body routine for 1yr then maybe move on to a strength programme, once I build up a solid foundation

I also would not recommend using different sized dumbbells on each hand, you're just promoting more imbalance.

I divided about this, my left severly limits the number of reps that both arms can do, meaning that my right isnt really worked out enough, however I'll follow your advice after my left really has to catch up

Also how intense are your cardio sessions? If they are intense then 100% do them after weights otherwise you're just gonna have no energy when it comes to lifting!
    Not very intense, 30mins on the epiletical bike on interval training, I might reverse the order of my workout, lifting first then cardio

ReputationRep:
    Played a half of football today, completely knackered. Going to the gym tomoz though

ReputationRep:
    Just used the epiletical bike today, casual cardio

4.2km, 313 Calories Good ride today, I up'ed the resistance and elevation to 12 and 10 it felt like climbing a mountain hahaha, glad with what I did gonna maintain it 2 more sessions

My legs were still hurting from yesterday

ReputationRep:
    No gym these past two days, me ma came to see me at uni

Gonna go hard tommorow tho, i'm still on it

ReputationRep:
    Day 10 (I think?)

Back and Biceps

Epiletical Bike :4.34 KM, Avg stride: 126 Calories burnt: 324
    Resistance 10 Elavation 12
    Not bad, coulda burnt more calories. My legs felt REALLY shaky afterwards though

Alternate Bicep curl:
    L - 9k
    R- 10kg
    3x10

Really pleased with the progress of my left arm, forgot to up the weight for my right though, in hindsight I'll wait for the left to catch up to ten then progress from there. The third set is normally a failure set but I completed it today

Standing Barbell Curl:
    1.5 set 20kg 1x10 1x5
    2 sets 10kg 1x10

Progress on the first set, got halfway through the second one my arms couldn't take it, but I really wanted to complete the workout so I just lowered the weights

Dumbell rows
    3x10 16kg

Love back excercises, it always allows me to lift stupid crazy weights. My biceps can only look on in envy. Will definately up the weights next time.

Hadn't been to the gym for 3 days prior this, so I'm glad I could still increase some of the weights and didnt regress at all really

Will post progress pics on sunday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diggy)

Really pleased with the progress of my left arm, forgot to up the weight for my right though, in hindsight I'll wait for the left to catch up to ten then progress from there. The third set is normally a failure set but I completed it today
    Progression!!! well done mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackx)
    Thanks, im all about those gainz :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 18, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.