Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    how do u this . It says draw a tangent
    can some help me where and how does it work ? Sorry for title but my exam tomorrow
    hurry
    I don't understand
    Attached Images

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Imrankhan0121)
    how do u this . It says draw a tangent
    can some help me where and how does it work ?
    A tangent is a line that just touches a curve at a single point. You drew a tangent, which is good. However, the question is asking for the maximum speed, which is the steepest part of the graph (i.e. the part of the graph that has the steepest tangent) and the tangent you drew is not the steepest. Have another look to see if you can find the steepest tangent and then calculate its gradient to work out the instantaneous speed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    A tangent is a line that just touches a curve at a single point. You drew a tangent, which is good. However, the question is asking for the maximum speed, which is the steepest part of the graph (i.e. the part of the graph that has the steepest tangent) and the tangent you drew is not the steepest. Have another look to see if you can find the steepest tangent and then calculate its gradient to work out the instantaneous speed.
    Can u help
    I don't know what u mean
    It's May physic past paper unit 1 edexcel

ReputationRep:
    Can u helpgf
    I don't know what u mean
    Ff
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Can u help
    I don't know what u mean
    What exactly don't you understand?

ReputationRep:
    What exactly don't you understand?
    Why should I draw it
    And y?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Why should I draw it
    And y?
    Speed is distance divided by time. Since we're dealing with a constantly varying velocity, to find the instantaneous velocity you draw the tangent to the curve at the point you want to find out the speed and then you calculate the gradient of that velocity.

Also change the thread title for god's sake.

ReputationRep:
    Speed is distance divided by time. Since we're dealing with a constantly varying velocity, to find the instantaneous velocity you draw the tangent to the curve at the point you want to find out the speed and then you calculate the gradient of that velocity.

Also change the thread title for god's sake.
    Okay makes sense
    Where should I put the curve
    Attached Images

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.