Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So I'm in my first year of uni and there's this guy on my course who just won't leave me alone, he's always texting me asking me what I'm doing and telling me what he's doing. He waits for me outside lectures for me to go in and sit with him and I hardly know him, I have other friends. And then he just talks and talks and it's just nonsense stuff that isn't interesting. I'm on a physics course and there's a lot of contact hours so this happens alot
    Its not as if he doesn't have other associates on the course.
    I have one theory that he could be gay cause he always makes comments about me going to the gym and I said this girl was hot and he agreed and said some stuff about how he agreed but just said that I should go for it etc and he could help.

Now I don't know if this is just how some friendships work in certain ways, mine have always been distant, not much emotion and we just enjoy chillin' with each other's company and the only time it gets emotional is its serious like family or relationships. I'm pretty laid back so I don't know if this is weird or if he's just a bit too nice. Either way I don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    Get a new phone (number)
    If he knows any of your social media accounts, deactivate them (or just block him)

ReputationRep:
    If you're not into "confronting" him, then I guess you could probably just try to minimise contact. Don't reply to messages and stuff you get outside of class, and in class just make sure to go sit with the other people you know (it might mean meeting them beforehand/getting there early/late). Good luck!

(Original post by Calpurnia)
    If you're not into "confronting" him, then I guess you could probably just try to minimise contact. Don't reply to messages and stuff you get outside of class, and in class just make sure to go sit with the other people you know (it might mean meeting them beforehand/getting there early/late). Good luck!
    Yeah that seems like a good idea. I don't want to hurt him, he's nice enough, just a bit much for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Get a new phone (number)
    If he knows any of your social media accounts, deactivate them (or just block him)
    Extreme. Don't do this. He's obviously just trying to make friends just don't be overly eager in response and hopefully he'll tone it down.

ReputationRep:
    Just don't reply to him for a while, and hopefully he should gear it down, if that doesn't work I'd confront him about it.

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    Get a new phone (number)
    That's super harsh. Would not do this if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    It's best you just start talking to other people, or respond with a little less interest.
    He seems alright, but a little too eager to make friends - I'm sure it'll be okay though, just make sure you keep a boundary haha.

(Original post by 0range)
    Just don't reply to him for a while, and hopefully he should gear it down, if that doesn't work I'd confront him about it.

That's super harsh. Would not do this if I were you.
    Yes I wasn't planning on doing this haha

(Original post by Lil3utterfly)
    It's best you just start talking to other people, or respond with a little less interest.
    He seems alright, but a little too eager to make friends - I'm sure it'll be okay though, just make sure you keep a boundary haha.
    I'm naturally pretty cold and distant so I already do this tbh

ReputationRep:
    Aww he might not have any other friends or is just trying to improve his friendship with you. Maybe try to introduce him to other people or help him get a bf if he's gay then he may leave you alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I had a friend like this. In the end, I did discuss it with him, which was a huge mistake. It was all my fault apparently and I was just a "**** friend" for not wanting contact 24/7. :rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.