Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Let A and B be sets such that A \cap B = A \cup B. Prove that A=B. [6 marks]

I'm not really sure how to go about answering questions of this type, so excuse how potentially stupid my approach may look.

Proof: Suppose that x \in A and y \in B such that x \neq y. Then x \notin (A \cap B) and y \notin (A \cap B). We have that x \in (A \cup B) and y \in (A \cup B). But since A \cap B = A \cup B, we have that x \in (A \cap B) and y \in (A \cap B). This then forces the condition that x=y. So x \in A \equiv y \in A \equiv x \in B \equiv y \in B. So that A=B.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Proof: Suppose that x \in A and y \in B such that x \neq y. Then x \notin (A \cap B) and y \notin (A \cap B).
    I don't see how that (final quoted sentence) follows from your definition of x and y.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    I don't see how that (final quoted sentence) follows from your definition of x and y.
    I was thinking of something along the lines of 1 \in A and 2\in B but 1 \notin (A \cap B) and 2 \notin (A \cap B)

ReputationRep:
    Let A and B be sets such that A \cap B = A \cup B. Prove that A=B. [6 marks]

I'm not really sure how to go about answering questions of this type, so excuse how potentially stupid my approach may look.

Proof: Suppose that x \in A and y \in B such that x \neq y. Then x \notin (A \cap B) and y \notin (A \cap B).
    This doesn't seem to make sense. What stops x \in A \cap B? This has to be true for some elements of A.

You need to show that:

1. x \in A \Rightarrow x \in B
    2. x \in B \Rightarrow x \in A

using the fact that A \cap B = A \cup B
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    I was thinking of something along the lines of 1 \in A and 2\in B but 1 \notin (A \cap B) and 2 \notin (A \cap B)
    Those are specific elements which wouldn't necessarily be members of general sets. There are no specific elements you can use for a general set.

atsruser's suggestion would be the way I'd do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    This doesn't seem to make sense. What stops x \in A \cap B? This has to be true for some elements of A.

You need to show that:

1. x \in A \Rightarrow x \in B
    2. x \in B \Rightarrow x \in A

using the fact that A \cap B = A \cup B
    I see, yeah. That was a bit of a stupid assumption on my part.

Would this be better?

Let x \in A, then it follow that x \in (A \cup B), this implies that x \in (A \cap B), so x\in A and x \in B.

Let x \in B, then it follow that x \in (A \cup B), this implies that x \in (A \cap B), so x\in A and x \in B.

Which shows that x\in A \Rightarrow x\in B and x\in B \Rightarrow x \in A.

Hence A=B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Those are specific elements which wouldn't necessarily be members of general sets. There are no specific elements you can use for a general set.

atsruser's suggestion would be the way I'd do it.
    Yeah, that was a bit of a brain fart on my part. Thanks!
    Is my revised proof better?

ReputationRep:
    I see, yeah. That was a bit of a stupid assumption on my part.

Would this be better?
    Yes, that's correct.

BTW you don't need the brackets around the A \cap B and so on. They're distracting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    Yes, that's correct.

BTW you don't need the brackets around the A \cap B and so on. They're distracting.
    Yay! Great, thanks to you and Ghost. +Rep.

Right, brackets. Will keep in mind next time!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.