Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need help choosing my GCSEs. I can choose 10 subjects but I enjoy 11. I'm hoping to eventually study Medicine at Oxford. My subjects are:
    English Lit
    English Lang
    Maths
    RE
    French
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    History
    And I have to choose between Geography and Music.
    What would you choose?

ReputationRep:
    Did geography as I had to choose between geography and art- art really isn't my thing.
    Ended up enjoying it a lot and actually doing it at AS now, so I'd say geography!

ReputationRep:
    I'd just choose whatever you enjoy more! Any arguments about geography being better regarded over music are really not true – especially for medicine, universities will not care about whether you took geography or music for GCSE. They will only care about Maths, English Language and Science (and look at your set of grades as a whole).

Therefore my advice is to take the GCSE you enjoy the most (or think you can do the best in). I was considering geography for GCSE but I decided against it and took Latin. I took GCSE music too – I loved it and seriously would have considered it for A level if my standard of performing was high enough.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    In terms of how it will effect your application, especially for medicine at Oxford, its literally just about which would get you a higher grade.

The number of A*s you need is insane for Oxford medicine btw. Some stats: http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/a100statistics

ReputationRep:
    I would choose what interests you the most - Music sounds pretty fun! However, if you want to achieve the English baccalaureate (which consists of English, Maths, Science, a language and a humanities), choosing Geography would be your best option.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.