Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys ,

I dropped out of college on my second year studying BTEC L3 Games Development, to be with a girl and I was bored of my course.. Stupid decision but I felt like that was the end of college for me.

My GCSE Grades were good, mostly B's and Distinction's in IT

I've recently found a small education sort of university that is legitimate, the online ratings on the place arn't great but with me only just passing my Games Development course on year one, I won't be able to qualify for the high UCAS points at a normal Uni.

Since leaving college I have been working as a Bricklayers apprentice to keep me in work and now I want to go back into education and study a degree in computer science.

This place would let me in, and it's in London but with the ratings not being great I'm wondering if I could completely the first year work incredibly hard build up a portfolio of everything I learn and try to transfer? or is that not a possibility?

I'm desperate to get it done, I'm fed up of working for peanuts and I wan't to move from sharing a 1bedroomed flat and move to London where my course would be situated and give it 100%.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and any advice, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    bump - any advice? thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    How many UCAS points do you currently have, how many does the uni require?

Personally I would consider finding somewhere to try and sit an A-Level (or a 1 year BTEC if there such a thing?) or two in a relevant subject for Computer Science, if not a couple AS's (self-studying) as that should raise your UCAS points and give you more options.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply!

The level 3 adds up to 60;

Pre-Production Techniques for the Creative Media Industries 5.0pts (pass)
    Communication Skills for Creative media Production 5.0pts (pass)
    Research Techniques for the Creative Media Industries 10.0pts (pass)
    Computer Game Platforms and Technologies 10.0pts (pass)
    3D Modelling 10.0pts (pass)
    3D Animation 10.0pts (pass)
    Sounds for Computer Games 10.0pts (Distinction)

and the independent Uni said I could be accepted, I'd feel safer going down the route you suggested but it's finding a course that'd be the difficult part, I live in Worksop and the local college only offers a Nursing access course. Also my grades for this course were only low because I chose not to finish the course and left it early. I could've easily achieved distinction in all subjects but I just wasn't enjoying the course.

I feel more than capable programming when I learn myself, I just feel like the whole change of living in London, living life as I learn and actually achieving a degree feels so much better. I just don't want to make a silly decision now and get myself stuck.

ReputationRep:
    What's the university called?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    GSM London Greenwich

ReputationRep:
    bump, anyone elses opinions?

ReputationRep:
    What about doing an Access course they are a year long it is what I am studying now to go to Uni in September.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thanks for your reply i've actually just found a course access to HE in computer in sheffield, sounds like the perfect window of opportunity, but that starts in september this year, Maybe if I phoned them on Monday I could try to convince them I could catch up on the work, I have almost no social life at the minute I'd work religiously on it. It's another possibility and i'll definately ring up.

Do you think thats possible? that I could start this year ? I wonder.

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Is study at North Notts an option? http://www.nnc.ac.uk/higher-education They seem to offer IT or access to hgiher education courses.

Rather than spending a fortune on a degree from a university with poor ratings look at apprenticehips e.g http://www.nitp.co.uk/it-apprenticeships

or http://www.e-skills.com/apprenticesh...r-individuals/

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean start the Access course this year or see if you can catch up from the course that started last September?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, possibly see if i could catch up - is it alot of work to catch up on? I mean i'm probably looking at another mission impossible as the UCAS deadline is the 15th..

what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing an Access in business and I don't think it would be possible for someone to catch up from September as you would still have current work we are doing now.

No harm In asking the college though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parentlurker)
    Is study at North Notts an option? http://www.nnc.ac.uk/higher-education They seem to offer IT or access to hgiher education courses.

Rather than spending a fortune on a degree from a university with poor ratings look at apprenticehips e.g http://www.nitp.co.uk/it-apprenticeshipsi

or http://www.e-skills.com/apprenticesh...r-individuals/
    Thanks for your reply,

I've already an interview on the 19th for North Notts, they do have access to HE but only for nursing, I've looked at Sheffield and they have a perfect access course, it's possible that I could start that but if i'd be starting in september... I think it'd be a good idea to start looking at placements from now till then to put on my CV relevant to programming/computing

ReputationRep:
    Do you think you could finish the course in your spare time? Also, even if the university isn't as good as it could be, you ultimately want to achieve that computer science qualification and it seems that you don't know how to progress until then. So i'd say that that's worth doing anywhere tbh. Perhaps you could look a the Open University too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippyday)
    Do you mean start the Access course this year or see if you can catch up from the course that started last September?
    Yeah, I know what you mean, but there may be an option to come in for extra work to catch up, like catch up in my own time. I'll wait and see it'd be really nice but I'd want to be applying for Uni in sept, with that I can't say im studying for a course i'm not yet on.. I think i've left it a little too late, but i'm hoping there'll be some sort of workaround.

ReputationRep:
    Well good luck 😃

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyPhilly)
    Do you think you could finish the course in your spare time? Also, even if the university isn't as good as it could be, you ultimately want to achieve that computer science qualification and it seems that you don't know how to progress until then. So i'd say that that's worth doing anywhere tbh. Perhaps you could look a the Open University too?
    That's a good point, I just dread to think I complete the course, graduate and I can't get a job because the school isn't rated well etc, that's my biggest worry. Although if I work really hard which I know I will i could build a portfolio of my own work which would look good.

I just don't know and everything's just a little last minute

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camranaway)
    That's a good point, I just dread to think I complete the course, graduate and I can't get a job because the school isn't rated well etc, that's my biggest worry. Although if I work really hard which I know I will i could build a portfolio of my own work which would look good.

I just don't know and everything's just a little last minute
    Employers aren't supposed to have that big a bias about which university you got the degree from (they do in the end). By then, I'm assuming there'll be much more to it than just where you went. If you do end up doing this, i strongly recommend you to ask for some work experience at some firms and really get some contacts that would give you a head start immediately after graduating.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyPhilly)
    Employers aren't supposed to have that big a bias about which university you got the degree from (they do in the end). By then, I'm assuming there'll be much more to it than just where you went. If you do end up doing this, i strongly recommend you to ask for some work experience at some firms and really get some contacts that would give you a head start immediately after graduating.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck
    Thanks alot!

Did you mean if I end up going to college for a year and doing HE or looking for work experience whilst on the actual uni degree course which i was originally planning to go on this year?

Thanks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.