Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to do economics at Cambridge when I'm older, I could go into further detail but my revision is staring at me. Basically, I understand the grades I need but this is Cambridge so obviously grades aren't the only thing that will get me in. What do I need on my CV? How do I impress them? etc.
    I'm starting sixth form in September so I still have two years. I'm doing Maths, Physics, Chemisty and Economics at AS and I plan to drop Chemistry at A2. I'm also going to try and take every opportunity at sixth form so like join the netball team or something, be a prefect etc.
    My mum is in finance and a few of her clients are stockbrokers, directors of companies etc so she'll try and get me work experience with them. (I realise I've said "etc" way too many times already)
    The second I turn 16 next month I'm going to work at a charity shop.
    Although I'm not doing a language at A-Level I do French currently so I plan to extend my vocabulary and obviously not become fluent but become a decent speaker, this is something extra to have on my CV right?
    I've been doing LAMDA for years now and plan to finish grade 8 by year 13, is that good?
    I'm planning to take piano lessons also, whilst at the same time self teach myself the guitar, I can already play a few songs, I don't plan to become the next Kirk Hammett but I'd like the ability to say "I can play the guitar".
    My predicted GCSE grades are mainly A's and a few B's I plan to get mainly A's and A*'s, I understand I can't really plan this but I know my ability it's just up to me to put the work in.
    What else would Cambridge like? This university is my goal, I've set myself this challenge and I am so determined to succeed. Any advice PLEASE?

ReputationRep:
    For the time being, you should focus on getting good GCSE grades, as your predicted grades are not great. You would be well-served by taking further maths at A level instead of chemistry.

You do not need lots of irrelevant extra-curricular activities to get in. A Cambridge tutor won't care whether you can play the piano or the guitar or both or neither; they're looking for competence and interest in your degree subject. Doing relevant extra-curricular activities is one way of showing this but simply reading a few books with a critical eye would also be enough.

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree with BJack here. In particular it's worth considering doing further maths AS instead of chemistry (or even instead of physics). I would add that 'academic' extra activities which are relevant to your subject help you stand out. Some of these suggestions are more relevant to maths than economics, but as economics can get very mathematical, they are still relevant:
    i) The British Maths Olympiad (or Physics olympiad, etc.)
    ii) The National Cipher Challenge
    iii) The UK Puzzle Championships
    are all competitions that, if you made a serious effort at them, would not only help your problem-solving ability (important) but would be very useful for your personal statement, which you write when doing an application. (These are only suggestions - no need to do all (or any) of them; there are plenty of other ways to show your enthusiasm for a subject.)

It's also highly desirable for your AS results (if you do them) to be as close to 100% as you can get.
    Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.