Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm currently an A level student, finishing my 13th year at at school. I get poor grades, so my guidance counselor suggested me to apply for a course with a foundation year. I'm 18 at the moment and will be graduating when I'm 19, so if I'll do the foundation course that means I will actually start my Bachelors degree when I'm like 20. Also I know a girl who is like 16 and she's applying for a foundation course. I will hopefully begin the foundation degree this September when I'm 19. This is a really silly question but I have an irrational fear of being the oldest on my course. Is this the case? How old are people doing foundation courses usually? Help!

ReputationRep:
    You will be fine
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    One of my flatmates did a foundation year last year before coming here to start the first year of his degree, aged 21. To be honest, I can hardly tell that he's just a few years older than all of us, and he's quite happy with his course and 'fitting in'.

I don't know anything about the age of people doing foundation courses, but unless you already look quite mature I don't think people will notice unless you tell them. 1-2 years isn't that much of a difference, so don't worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m-orrison)
    So I'm currently an A level student, finishing my 13th year at at school. I get poor grades, so my guidance counselor suggested me to apply for a course with a foundation year. I'm 18 at the moment and will be graduating when I'm 19, so if I'll do the foundation course that means I will actually start my Bachelors degree when I'm like 20. Also I know a girl who is like 16 and she's applying for a foundation course. I will hopefully begin the foundation degree this September when I'm 19. This is a really silly question but I have an irrational fear of being the oldest on my course. Is this the case? How old are people doing foundation courses usually? Help!
    It's definitely better to be older than younger! At one school I went to I would've graduated when I barely turned 17, which would've meant I wasn't legal to open up a bank account or live in an apartment without parental consent. I am glad I moved, and changed school systems and ended up graduating a few days before my 18th birthday. I feel like if I would have graduated earlier, I wouldn't have been so sure about what I want to study/pursue in life. I don't know if this applies to your question, but the oldest in class or in the group was generally the one who was the most mature, responsible, and chill. Please don't worry

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.