The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Feel bad for the guys who are at a disadvantage having not done fp2/3. Having done c4 last year I didn't realise how much of a help the FM units are in understanding core topics. A friend of mine is sitting the exams in a linear fashion all AS and A2 in the same year and he finds c4 a walk in the park after FP3.
Original post by Light_bulb
Feel bad for the guys who are at a disadvantage having not done fp2/3. Having done c4 last year I didn't realise how much of a help the FM units are in understanding core topics. A friend of mine is sitting the exams in a linear fashion all AS and A2 in the same year and he finds c4 a walk in the park after FP3.

Which bits do FP2 help C4?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Toussaint
Can anyone help me or point me into some help on:

Differential equations... Desperate here, have no idea how to even comprehend them.

Integration by substitution... I get it, but it doesn't come to me.

Tricky vectors questions like in last years paper.

With differential equations for C4, all you need to be able to do is separate the variables by dividing through by the correct things, then integrate one side with respect to that variable and integrate the other side with respect to the other variable, it's quite simple stuff. Knowledge of forming differential equations in context will be really helpful too I reckon.

Integration by subst. you want to choose a function for u in terms of x that, will differentiate (getting du/dx) so that the "difficult" part of the integration is gotten rid of.

Doing well with vectors is just having a solid understanding of what's going on in 3D space, and a knowledge of how we can find things like angles and distances.

Read your textbook for this, the methods involved I'm sure you won't find difficult at this stage!
Anyone have any tips for the exam?
Reply 1924
***HELP*** How would i integrate something like this or is it not part of our specification because it doesn't match the formula i highlighted? ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434410546.088990.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do people even understand maths! It is definitely impossible :/
Original post by Mutleybm1996

Posted from TSR Mobile

FP2 covers differential equations in much greater detail, and work on polars I think makes going from theta to 3theta or something a lot easier to deal with. Personally I didn't find it to be a great help with C4, I think vectors knowledge in FP3 makes C4 vectors a ton easier though.

It's not a massive advantage, more experience than knowledge.
Original post by Toussaint
Can anyone help me or point me into some help on:

Differential equations... Desperate here, have no idea how to even comprehend them.

Integration by substitution... I get it, but it doesn't come to me.

Tricky vectors questions like in last years paper.

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/C4/module.php

Use this website just go through all the topics you don't understand it's really really helpful :smile:
Original post by TeeEm
I will send these two along

Who are they? Cross breeds between humans and gorillas?
Original post by Mutleybm1996

Posted from TSR Mobile

FP2 M&T series

The differentials in SODE and FODE and by then your integration is so good you can spot all the tricks Edexcel put in.

Fp3 vector methods eg cross product distance between two skew lines etc plus the whole of the integration chapter
Original post by xy0mz
***HELP*** How would i integrate something like this or is it not part of our specification because it doesn't match the formula i highlighted? ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434410546.088990.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

just expand the bracket maybe? that would make it much easier..
Someone please provide a worked solution to the last part of this question, I'm about to bang my head on the table. The answer is n=450e^2t + 50

Hmm. Although that's true, having done C3/4 a year ago makes it all pretty much common sense so you can approach the FM modules, FP3 especially, without having to worry about the basic integration and trig formulae etc from c4
Original post by kite0nfire
Someone please provide a worked solution to the last part of this question, I'm about to bang my head on the table. The answer is n=450e^2t + 50

IMAG0152.jpg
Aaaaand here's the question... I need sleep
Original post by tawaz1997
Who are they? Cross breeds between humans and gorillas?

Two famous inbreeds (brothers) from a farmers community in Kentucky ...
I cannot remember whether the picture is from the 30s or the 50s...
Is a D in Maths 50%?
Original post by CalebS5
Is a D in Maths 50%?

50% to 59% to the nearest whole percentage
Original post by Willis_l96
You should use the reverse chain rule, or take the bracket equal to u and use a u substitution; both methods you're going to be doing the exact same thing.

The standard formula for integration is awful, I've always remembered it in words.

I Thought you can't use reverse chain rule because the differential is not a constant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CalebS5
Is a D in Maths 50%?

A D in maths is 50% UMS marks as with all subjects but grade boundaries change every year so a D isn't necessarily 50% raw marks
Original post by Medicjug
I Thought you can't use reverse chain rule because the differential is not a constant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct. You have to expand it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending