Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have chosen to study primary education at university and have an upcoming interview! I need to come up with a resource that is creative and will engage children to learn and I have two minutes to explain the resource
    I have no idea what to do! Help please? Any ideas??????:confused:

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Here's what I did:

(Original post by Skip_Snip)
    A took a lightbulb, and explained how it could be tied into History (researching Edison), English (writing a small piece about him), Science (light and shadows), and Math (doing graph work based on light sources in a house), and ended with the corny "it took ten thousand attempts to perfect the lightbulb, so always keep trying"

What uni is it your interview is at?

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's a good idea, how did your interview go?
    I was thinking something more for the lower years such as reception children?
    Your idea what age range was it for initially?
    It is at the University of Cumbria in London Campus

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK-PrimaryEd)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh I got in, was ages ago now But it's Bedford Uni, rater than Cumbria.

The age range I had in mind was LKS2, so Y3-4.

Is it KS1 you intend to work with in the long run? For interview purposes, it doesn't really matter what age group your interview presentation is aimed at. Do you have any ideas at all as to what you want to take in?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How about a magic box where a child puts their hand in without being able to see the contents and tries to guess something e.g. a shape or describe it to the others so they can guess. Also you could do some kind of hat where post-its can be stuck on the front. Children have to give the hat wearer clues about what's on the post-it. I'm sure there are plenty of ideas on the internet if you Google.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is key stage one, yeah that is true I have just started thinking of resource ideas and for some reason my mind is blank, thought I'd share it on here and see what ideas others have

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veggiechic6)
    How about a magic box where a child puts their hand in without being able to see the contents and tries to guess something e.g. a shape or describe it to the others so they can guess. Also you could do some kind of hat where post-its can be stuck on the front. Children have to give the hat wearer clues about what's on the post-it. I'm sure there are plenty of ideas on the internet if you Google.
    Thank you for the suggestion, I will be playing/ working on this idea and implant some of my own ideas into it to

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    While you're going to a different uni to me, below is a rundown of the interview process at my uni. Maybe it will be different, but it can give you food for thought

* Arriving
    When you get there, you'll wait with the other interviewees in the waiting area just off the cafe. Talk to the other interviewees. Although the interview hasn't officially started, you're being watched to see how well you all interact with each other.

* Tests & tour

You'll be shown around, before being taken to one of the lecture theatres. Here you'll be given tests in English and Maths. The English is essay based, the Maths questions based on information given, i.e. a bus timetable. If you do badly in these, it doesn't necessarily mean you have no chance of getting on the course, but still do the best you can!

* Interview prt 1: Group
    In small groups with (usually) one of the course tutors and a local head teacher, you'll present the "Educational Object" you've brought in. Make sure you have lots to say. Also remember the presentation is about how well you speak in front of others as it is the content.

* Interview prt 2: Individual

Your small group will be split, and you'll be interviewed by either the tutor or head teacher. Research plenty of current issues in education etc, have a good answer as to why you want to be a teacher.

Note the two parts of the interview are sometimes the other way around.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    While you're going to a different uni to me, below is a rundown of the interview process at my uni. Maybe it will be different, but it can give you food for thought
    Youre a life saver

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay018)
    Youre a life saver

As I say it may vary from uni to uni, but at least this will give you an idea

ReputationRep:

As I say it may vary from uni to uni, but at least this will give you an idea
    I understand but i has given me a good idea on what to expect from one, as i really had no idea. All i need to do now is get some interview offers :P

ReputationRep:
    There is a statement which says what are some of the current issues in primary education. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas I read about issues on education on the BBC website and currently looking on the guardian.
    Thank You 🙋☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone has had an interview at either Leeds Becket, Plymouth, Gloucester or St Mary's Twickenham and could let me know what went on in the inteviews there. (mainly care about the first 3 due to not really wanting to study inside London, only have it as a very last resort back up)

ReputationRep:
    There is a statement which says what are some of the current issues in primary education. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas I read about issues on education on the BBC website and currently looking on the guardian.
    Thank You ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education/
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/
    http://www.theguardian.com/education

ReputationRep:
    Thank You

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had an interview at Manchester Metropolitan?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.