Daisybxxxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Is there any reason Geogre keeps playing solitaire in the book ? Because everytime the men play horseshoes it foreshadows something bad will happen.
Zoelingua
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I studied Of Mice and Men about 3 years ago so forgive me if any of this is wrong!

All the characters of the novel have to confront isolation and loneliness in a different way. Solitaire is a one player game and only requires one pack of cards; it's quite an intellectual game (it took me a while to grasp how to win!) therefore it wouldn't be a game Lennie would understand how to play. Lennie is both physically and mentally isolated from this part of George's life, something we can infer Lennie might struggle with as he is very dependent on George. However, George may find pleasure in having something that is truly his own - a realistic win, unlike the burden of keeping up 'the dream' for the sake of Lennie. The word 'solitaire' translates into to 'solitary', otherwise known as 'standing alone'. Mentally, both George and Lennie are alone throughout the novel, but in the end George is physically alone as he kills Lennie. The game of solitaire in a sense foreshadows Lennie's death as it is George who 'deals' his death and becomes a lone character. Solitaire is also a play on words, you can get both 'solitary' and 'solidarity' from the word; interestingly both words mean the opposite of each other. This could be Steinbeck attempting to portray the emptiness will always exist in misunderstood relationships, and that George desires to have freedom in being unburdened of the task of upholding 'the dream' and Lennie.
Daisybxxxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thank you, that is such a good point
Zoelingua
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No worries! Glad you found it useful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.58%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.56%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.86%
I need help with my personal statement (59)
40.97%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.08%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.94%

Watched Threads