Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on taking up engineering (still not sure what kind) and I am stuck between taking Further maths or Chemistry. I am about 90% sure I won't be doing chemical engineering so will chemistry be useful still? Or is it only useful for Chemical Engineering students?

A lot of people have advised me not to take Further Maths and it's considered the hardest A-level out there and it's not necessary but I can't help but feel like I'd be wasting my time doing Chemistry. I am equally good at both Maths and Chemistry but I'd have to say I enjoy doing Maths a lot more than doing Chemistry during high school.

My subjects are: Maths, Physics, Econs, and Chemistry/Further Maths.
    I would drop Econs and take both Chem and FM but personally I dont think I'd be able to handle it.

Honestly I think I'd enjoy FM more but if Chemistry is easier then I would without a doubt take Chemistry.

Also, is taking only Maths, Physics and Further Maths a good idea? I heard that taking 4 subjects for AS and dropping one at A2 is the best option but will taking 3 subjects for both AS and A2 really put me at a disadvantage?

Sorry for the really long question &t thank you!!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ads13)
    I'm planning on taking up engineering (still not sure what kind) and I am stuck between taking Further maths or Chemistry. I am about 90% sure I won't be doing chemical engineering so will chemistry be useful still? Or is it only useful for Chemical Engineering students?

A lot of people have advised me not to take Further Maths and it's considered the hardest A-level out there and it's not necessary but I can't help but feel like I'd be wasting my time doing Chemistry. I am equally good at both Maths and Chemistry but I'd have to say I enjoy doing Maths a lot more than doing Chemistry during high school.

I would drop Econs and take both Chem and FM but personally I dont think I'd be able to handle it.

Honestly I think I'd enjoy FM more but if Chemistry is easier then I would without a doubt take Chemistry.

Also, is taking only Maths, Physics and Further Maths a good idea? I heard that taking 4 subjects for AS and dropping one at A2 is the best option but will taking 3 subjects for both AS and A2 really put me at a disadvantage?

In terms of usefulness, providing you don't do Chemical Engineering, Further Maths would probably be more useful. That doesn't mean that Chemistry is useless but Further Maths would be regarded as being slightly more useful (particularly if you're applying for a more theoretical Engineering course like that offered at Cambridge). Both are still good choices though, it definitely wouldn't be a waste of time to do Chemistry.

Both Further Maths and Chemistry are challenging A-Levels. Personally, I found AS Chemistry to be harder than AS Further Maths, but I'm finding A2 Further Maths slightly more difficult than A2 Chemistry (although both are a big step up from AS and it will depend on which Maths modules you take). Ultimately though it's subjective and I don't think either is objectively harder than the other. If you think that you'd enjoy Further Maths more then my recommendation (given that I only know what you've told me) is to go for Further Maths.

I wouldn't recommend only taking 3 AS levels and 3 A2s. To what extent it would disadvantage you I do not know, but it definitely is not a common thing to do and admissions tutors might be concerned about your time management skills if you can only cope with 3 AS levels. On top of that, A2s are much harder than AS so you will get a big workload shock if you only take 3 AS levels. Finally, there are a few universities that require you to have 4 AS levels, like UCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ads13)

if you are doing mechanical engineering there is no question ...
    Further maths without Mickey Mouse Units

All the FPs plus as much mechanics to M5 (if EDEXCEL)

ReputationRep:
    Depends if you want to stand out from the crowd... Further maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    In terms of usefulness, providing you don't do Chemical Engineering, Further Maths would probably be more useful. That doesn't mean that Chemistry is useless but Further Maths would be regarded as being slightly more useful (particularly if you're applying for a more theoretical Engineering course like that offered at Cambridge). Both are still good choices though, it definitely wouldn't be a waste of time to do Chemistry.

Both Further Maths and Chemistry are challenging A-Levels. Personally, I found AS Chemistry to be harder than AS Further Maths, but I'm finding A2 Further Maths slightly more difficult than A2 Chemistry (although both are a big step up from AS and it will depend on which Maths modules you take). Ultimately though it's subjective and I don't think either is objectively harder than the other. If you think that you'd enjoy Further Maths more then my recommendation (given that I only know what you've told me) is to go for Further Maths.

I wouldn't recommend only taking 3 AS levels and 3 A2s. To what extent it would disadvantage you I do not know, but it definitely is not a common thing to do and admissions tutors might be concerned about your time management skills if you can only cope with 3 AS levels. On top of that, A2s are much harder than AS so you will get a big workload shock if you only take 3 AS levels. Finally, there are a few universities that require you to have 4 AS levels, like UCL.
    Wow thank you so much!! Alright I think I'm going to take Further Maths then Thanks again!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.