Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    PSYCHODYNAMIC APPROACH

Can someone please explain what the psychodynamic approach involves??
    I have no idea what it means when it says that unresolved conflicts cause mental disorder - how does that work. It goes on to say about ego defences and somehow they're related to unresolved conflicts. UGH. I am now positive that i have looked through every source of information that could explain this approach to me for hours now, but I understand no more than the idea that an imbalance between the id, ego and superego leads to an unhealthy personality and abnormal behaviour.

I am doing the exam board AQA at AS level for this, so if you're answering having done a different exam board, please say so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oscaranderson)
    PSYCHODYNAMIC APPROACH

I have no idea what it means when it says that unresolved conflicts cause mental disorder - how does that work. It goes on to say about ego defences and somehow they're related to unresolved conflicts. UGH. I am now positive that i have looked through every source of information that could explain this approach to me for hours now, but I understand no more than the idea that an imbalance between the id, ego and superego leads to an unhealthy personality and abnormal behaviour.

I am doing the exam board AQA at AS level for this, so if you're answering having done a different exam board, please say so.

Okay so the psycho dynamic approach was popularized by Freud and says that abnormality is a result of unresolved conflicts between our conscious mind (The ego and the super ego) and the unconscious mind (the Id ego). Ego defense mechanisms are largely unconscious and are created to protect the Id ego say for example a person is very aggressive and constantly wants to hurt everyone unconsciously but his conscious mind keeps telling him two things 1. You might get into trouble (the ego) and 2.It's immoral to hurt someone (the superego) which leads to the person's conflict/problem/desire being unresolved which causes him to suffer from say an anxiety disorder. Now as mentioned before the ego defense comes in to protect the Id so say suppose a Student did not pass the exam because he didn't study hard enough for it, the mind unconsciously starts rationalizing and making up other reasons like you were sick, this is just an example of one ego defense mechanism- Rationalization. I hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oscaranderson)
    PSYCHODYNAMIC APPROACH

The psychodynamic approach model assumes that mental illness is a result of psychological rather than physical forces, and are the result of unresolved unconscious traumas from early childhood.

background~ (which you probably already know)
    Id-irrational please seeking part of the personality (present from birth)
    Ego-rational conscious part of personality, develops due to environmental interactions (present from 2)
    Superego-moralistic part of the personality, seeks to block the unacceptable urges of id (present from 5)
    The Id and the superego ate constantly in direct conflict with each other and are managed by the ego, who copes by allowing each to express themselves at appropriate times (e.g. id might want to snatch a toy, superego would know it's wrong, ego may attempt to share the toy as it balances the desires of the id with the guilt of the superego)

Mental illnesses:
    During childhood, the ego isn't developed enough to deal with severe conflict or trauma and so if it occurs then either the Id or superego will take over the psyche
    e.g. If someone ends up with an overdeveloped superego, they may develop anxiety disorders due to the superego feeling constantly guilty and in the wrong
    if events like this happen where trauma is apparent, the brain will deploy defense mechanisms to try and counter this
    e.g. (carrying on with the anxiety example) repression may be used to counter this. This is where threatening thoughts are hidden deep in the unconscious mind in order to try reduce the anxiety. However these may emerge later as abnormal adult behaviours.

The psychodynamic theory also covers frauds theory of psychosexual stages but I don't know if your exam board covers that but it may be worth a look at anyway.
    (Tbh om not sure what exam board I'm on but I am currently studying AS psychology this year)
    Hope this helps in any way

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.