Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need to go into DOS to save some files onto floppy on my severely messed up PC before I refomat the old bugger and lose everything.

Can someone give a list of DOS commands to use, I used to know how to do everything I now dont though.

I just need to know enough to navigate the C: Drive and save stuff to floppy.

Much obliged

ReputationRep:
    'dir' will list all the folders/files in the current directory

'cd name' will go into the folder name.

'cd..' will go up a directory level (e.g. if you are in c:\folder\ cd.. will take you to c:\)

'copy filename.ext destination' - e.g. 'copy file.doc a:' will copy file.doc to the a:

ReputationRep:
    thanks very much for that bazza , think I spoke to you about this on saturaday, well the reinstall didnt work so it is gonna be a reformatting, for the SECOND time (my bro got it infected with this virus the first time).
    OK then bye.

ReputationRep:
    yep if and if you want to copy all the contents of a directory to the floppy drive do:

copy c:\whatever\ *. a:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    thanks very much for that bazza , think I spoke to you about this on saturaday, well the reinstall didnt work so it is gonna be a reformatting, for the SECOND time (my bro got it infected with this virus the first time).
    OK then bye.
    ok

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    OK then bye.
    oh my god i hate formatting, you need to reinstall everything and all your settings are gone.!!

you sure you need to format?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.