Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi i was wondering if someone could help me resolve a dilemma! I'm in my first year at uni and theres been a lot of drama over second year houses. Since i live in a different accommodation to a lot of my friends, they decided to share with their current flatmates to save bother, which i was fine with as i had my flatmates and other course mates to share with, but it soon got to the point where my course mates would share with their flatmates, and there was a lot of fall-outs between my flatmates, so it was unlikely any of them would want to share. Luckily my friend from home was looking for a house with her flatmates and said i could join as 5 of them were sharing and they didn't mind having a 6th person. After looking at houses we decided on a house but one girl refused to go for it as she didn't go to look at the house as she went home early, and so the others who i was sharing with decided we should sign for a 5 bed so we definitely had a house and we didnt have to worry about it next year. I was all on board and i signed for the house but once we did, they started telling me i couldn't do simple things in the house such as cook meat because some of them were vegetarian; or come in too late if i wanted to go for a night out. My friend messaged me recently saying they had a spare room in their house if i wanted to take it, because one of their flatmates is dropping out of uni, and now I'm unsure of what to do. I have much closer friends in the house where they are offering me a room, and i go out with them a lot more than i do with the people i have signed a house with, and i haven't paid a deposit on the house I've signed for. However, i don't think its right to just say to them "i can't live with them anymore" and i can't just switch houses because I've got a better offer, and I've already agreed to share a house with them, but I'm now starting to think, am i going to be happy there if i have to abide by these rules? Can anyone help me?

ReputationRep:
    1. Don't sign or pay for any house you aren't completely happy with.
    2. I don't know where you are but pre-Christmas is very early to sort out houses. Most people here don't sort them out until March time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    1. Don't sign or pay for any house you aren't completely happy with.
    2. I don't know where you are but pre-Christmas is very early to sort out houses. Most people here don't sort them out until March time.
    I'm at Liverpool! i know its very rushed! but if I'm not 100% happy with one house, how do i tell them i want to share with the other house?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pb1596)
    Hi i was wondering if someone could help me resolve a dilemma! I'm in my first year at uni and theres been a lot of drama over second year houses. Since i live in a different accommodation to a lot of my friends, they decided to share with their current flatmates to save bother, which i was fine with as i had my flatmates and other course mates to share with, but it soon got to the point where my course mates would share with their flatmates, and there was a lot of fall-outs between my flatmates, so it was unlikely any of them would want to share. Luckily my friend from home was looking for a house with her flatmates and said i could join as 5 of them were sharing and they didn't mind having a 6th person. After looking at houses we decided on a house but one girl refused to go for it as she didn't go to look at the house as she went home early, and so the others who i was sharing with decided we should sign for a 5 bed so we definitely had a house and we didnt have to worry about it next year. I was all on board and i signed for the house but once we did, they started telling me i couldn't do simple things in the house such as cook meat because some of them were vegetarian; or come in too late if i wanted to go for a night out. My friend messaged me recently saying they had a spare room in their house if i wanted to take it, because one of their flatmates is dropping out of uni, and now I'm unsure of what to do. I have much closer friends in the house where they are offering me a room, and i go out with them a lot more than i do with the people i have signed a house with, and i haven't paid a deposit on the house I've signed for. However, i don't think its right to just say to them "i can't live with them anymore" and i can't just switch houses because I've got a better offer, and I've already agreed to share a house with them, but I'm now starting to think, am i going to be happy there if i have to abide by these rules? Can anyone help me?
    at the end of the day you've got to do whats best for you. the first lot of housemates sound so difficult to live with- how miserable are you going to be not eating meat & not going out and not being able to do goodness knows what else

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.