Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I am an international student and I just got an offer for the MSc Economics Programme at Southampton. I wanted to get reviews and any details about the course because on the website the course structure looks pretty nice.
    My main aim is to get into a well reputed PhD Programme in Europe/US after this.

I also liked the SGPE offered by Edinburgh. How would you rate it?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by econtish)
    Hi!

I am an international student and I just got an offer for the MSc Economics Programme at Southampton. I wanted to get reviews and any details about the course because on the website the course structure looks pretty nice.
    My main aim is to get into a well reputed PhD Programme in Europe/US after this.

I also liked the SGPE offered by Edinburgh. How would you rate it?
    I would strongly advise to choose Southampton’s MSc Economics and Econometrics programme if you’re look to enter a top PhD programme in Europe/the US. The course is far more rigorous in terms of mathematical preparation, which is key for a PhD programme. Additionally, the academics at Southampton have for the most part attended US universities themselves (Penn, Rochetester, Northwestern, Minnesota, Boston and UCLA) with plenty coming from top European universities (LSE, UCL, PSE, Stockholm, Pompeu Fabra, Louvain and Carlos III), so they can provide strong and reliable letters of recommendation which is necessary for PhD applications. Added to that, the lecturer for Econometrics 2 (second semester, asymptotic theory course) is the protégé of Peter C B Phillips, the world’s leading time-series econometrician, and Peter visits Southampton every summer to do research.

To better help, could you give an idea of which European/US universities you wish to attend? Also what is your particular field of interest? I.e., what topic do you hope to look at for your PhD?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks .ACS. I am glad to get a good feedback as there is so little written on it over the Internet. What other universities would you recommend in the UK?(apart from lse,Warwick,ucl, oxbridge)
    I am still exploring possibilities of where and what I'd like to do my PhD. I'd like to find something in development economics.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by econtish)
    Thanks .ACS. I am glad to get a good feedback as there is so little written on it over the Internet. What other universities would you recommend in the UK?(apart from lse,Warwick,ucl, oxbridge)
    I am still exploring possibilities of where and what I'd like to do my PhD. I'd like to find something in development economics.
    Universities in the UK with strength in development economics include Nottingham and Sussex. However I’m unsure at how good they are with placing students in European/US programmes. I’d assume typically their MSc programme students enrol on a PhD at the respective university.

Southampton has a strong focus (at the research level) in migration, labour economics, etc. and a recent PhD graduate received an award from the Royal Economic Society and is now working at the World Bank as a development economist.

I’ll have a think of suitable European universities to consider and come back to you sometime tomorrow with that.

ReputationRep:
    DevEcon UK: As ACS mentioned Sussex and Nottingham are good. SOAS stands out and has long DevEcon tradition in areas agriculture, growth, environment, equality, labour, population. Manchester has a decent DevEcon group, but its Econ PhD programme prefers inhouse students who completed MSc in Manchester. UEA and Birmingham are OK in DevEcon in some niche area, it depends on your interest and you need to check if focus fits. Among Scottish unis, Glasgow is well regarded in DevEcon.

Europe: Lund, SSE, Tinbergen, Groningen, ISS The Hague, Louvain & Namur, IHEID Geneva has a great DevEcon PhD programme, Zurich, St Gallen, PSE, Sciences Po, Paris 1. German unis don't produce much DevEcon work, at a stretch Goettingen. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Universities in the UK with strength in development economics include Nottingham and Sussex. However I’m unsure at how good they are with placing students in European/US programmes. I’d assume typically their MSc programme students enrol on a PhD at the respective university.

Southampton has a strong focus (at the research level) in migration, labour economics, etc. and a recent PhD graduate received an award from the Royal Economic Society and is now working at the World Bank as a development economist.

I’ll have a think of suitable European universities to consider and come back to you sometime tomorrow with that.
    Thank you! I'd really appreciate that. Would you happen to know how many students are there in the Msc programme at southampton?

ReputationRep:
    And does anyone have any reviews about Edinburgh's Scottish graduate programme in Economics? I'd love to get some feedback on it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.