Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I came to the country in January 2005, i was six at the time. This is my tenth year living here(continuously). The thing is,i am an overstayer along with my mum. We applied to be regularised based on the fact that I've lived here continuously for at least 7 years and it's in my best interest to remain. A request came from the home office for us to have our biometrics taken. I was wondering if our leave to remain was granted, I know my mum would get 30months, but what would i get? I am hoping to go to uni in 2 and a half years time, and I'm really worried i wouldnt be able to get any student finance if I didn't have settled status.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    I think you'd be better off asking for advice on a migration forum.

ReputationRep:
    Ask in the Student Finance England sub forum.

ReputationRep:
    I had the same situation, and unfortunately I am now classified as an overseas student.

The thing was that I have lived in the UK for more than 3 years but the stay is temporary (because my father is a diplomat, and he has 4-5 years missions in different countries.)

For student finance, along with the appropriate British passport, you need to provide evidence of no limitations of stay in the UK. I would be worried about what said, 'overstayer'.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostwanderer)
    I came to the country in January 2005, i was six at the time. This is my tenth year living here(continuously). The thing is,i am an overstayer along with my mum. We applied to be regularised based on the fact that I've lived here continuously for at least 7 years and it's in my best interest to remain. A request came from the home office for us to have our biometrics taken. I was wondering if our leave to remain was granted, I know my mum would get 30months, but what would i get? I am hoping to go to uni in 2 and a half years time, and I'm really worried i wouldnt be able to get any student finance if I didn't have settled status.
    where are u from and when do u hear back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryDn)
    where are u from and when do u hear back?
    Bangladesh.
    Heard back, got 2 and a half years limited leave to remain. Have to renew it 4 more times before i qualify for settlement, meaning I can't get student loan till im 26. By that time I'd have been in the UK for 20 years. Joy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.