The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Entrance Exams

Scroll to see replies

Original post by themonalisa
I'd say it's worth taking the risk of facing a bit of awkwardness if it means you getting through.
I mean, could be that you didn't apply properly, so wouldn't you rather find out now while there's still time?

Call them, better to be safe than sorry :smile:

You're right, did you go to the open evening of LAE?
The classrooms were quite big I must say, and the classes were quite small (10-15 students) so it worked out and it felt like there was a lot of space left over. I was really impressed by the teacher's credentials - they all graduated from, or had their masters from, either Oxford or Cambridge (at least the ones I spoke to did) and that's really good if you're aiming to go to any Russel Group Universities because it means they can offer you the support and guidance you need.

I really like the Head Teacher's speech at the start, though it sounded a bit theatrical and dramatic, but I'm all for public speaking so - yeah!

All the students I talked to said they really enjoyed it there and they seem to have really a good enrichment program as well. Sounds like the dream school... wonder what's the catch?

I'm just worried about travelling tbh. Going to central london every day would be a pain!

How far do you guys live from the school?

It'll probably taking me a little over an hour to get there :/

I'm just worried that the standard of teaching is the same as a college 40minutes away from called st dominics....
Idk.

I probably wont even be considered since my application was late.
You're completely right! :smile:

I spoke to the head on twitter through dm's.

I don't know how to describe.

Firstly, the way he acts in videos on youtube are completely cringey and you can see straight through his fake enthusiasm. Not to say he isnt enthusiasm but he is making it seem like it's a 300 year established school whereas they havent even finished their first year!

He is a little blunt - from my experiences obviously.
Original post by YounesB
I'm just worried about travelling tbh. Going to central london every day would be a pain!

I'm just worried that the standard of teaching is the same as a college 40minutes away from called st dominics....
Idk.

I live in the Newham, East London so it would take me 45 minutes everyday but since there aren't many good sixth forms in my area I don't mind taking a chance with Harris Westminster. Either way, I personally believe that spending x amount of time is just good investment for your future.
Original post by YounesB

Idk.

I heard something about travel bursaries when I was there? Not sure of the details, though.

I understand it's very long going to Central everyday, but at the same time... IT'S CENTRAL! Imagine how cool it would be to see the Big Ben every morning on your way to school, or get to idek see the Queen or something xD
I sound like a tourist LOOL
My point is the school is very good and so is the location :smile:

And I've also heard very good things about St Doms, I'd say apply to both. That way you can't go wrong :wink:
Original post by YounesB

Firstly, the way he acts in videos on youtube are completely cringey and you can see straight through his fake enthusiasm. Not to say he isnt enthusiasm but he is making it seem like it's a 300 year established school whereas they havent even finished their first year!

You have to understand that every single Head-teacher will try to sell his/her school to students to the best of their abilities no matter how bad the school is. Maybe that's why you find the Head-teacher's enthusiasm, of Harris Westminster, "fake". I suggest trying to talk to present Harris Westminster students.
Original post by YounesB

That's really interesting...

But I wonder if that says anything about the school itself?
Surely any school that has been funded the way HWSF has and is in partnership with Westminster School, can be allowed to boast a little bit, wouldn't you agree? :smile:
Original post by YounesB

I am very mindful of the fact that it's a rather new school - really want to see how they perform for their first year.
Original post by sakshres
You're right, did you go to the open evening of LAE?

No, I couldn't make it.

But I did attend this sort of taster physics lesson.
The teacher was obviously very passionate about the subject, but he sounded a bit cocky for my liking.

Personally, I didn't like the building. I found it claustrophobic.
No, I couldn't make it.

But I did attend this sort of taster physics lesson.
The teacher was obviously very passionate about the subject, but he sounded a bit cocky for my liking.

Personally, I didn't like the building. I found it claustrophobic.

Same. My friends went and they said it was horrible. Another thing you might want to take into account when applying for LAE if you are doing physics is that it doesn't seem very promising. Trust me I have had first hand experience for about a term or two. Our class had a physics teacher come from LAE by the name Paul to teach us P2 and the whole class learned absolutely nothing.
Original post by Economistician
I did maths, biology, chemistry and economics exams. Tbh, I found them quite easy. But one thing, they're a little cheeky with putting some questions in awkward places on the tests. I personally missed the back page on the maths exams and others i spoke to had also missed questions due to not seeing them.
each of the 4 tests is scored out of around 150 I believe (not marks) they have some sort of scaling. And the interview is also out of 150.
You needed 380 points after the 4 tests to get an interview. And after the interviews you needed 469 points for an offer.

If you don't mind can you tell us what kind of questions they ask in the interview.
Same. My friends went and they said it was horrible. Another thing you might want to take into account when applying for LAE if you are doing physics is that it doesn't seem very promising. Trust me I have had first hand experience for about a term or two. Our class had a physics teacher come from LAE by the name Paul to teach us P2 and the whole class learned absolutely nothing.

Good thing I'm not taking physics then - pheww! xD
I heard something about travel bursaries when I was there? Not sure of the details, though.

I understand it's very long going to Central everyday, but at the same time... IT'S CENTRAL! Imagine how cool it would be to see the Big Ben every morning on your way to school, or get to idek see the Queen or something xD
I sound like a tourist LOOL
My point is the school is very good and so is the location :smile:

And I've also heard very good things about St Doms, I'd say apply to both. That way you can't go wrong :wink:

The problem is - WHO DO I CHOOSE IF I GET OFFERS FROM BOTH!
You have to understand that every single Head-teacher will try to sell his/her school to students to the best of their abilities no matter how bad the school is. Maybe that's why you find the Head-teacher's enthusiasm, of Harris Westminster, "fake". I suggest trying to talk to present Harris Westminster students.

Do you know any I can speak to?
That's really interesting...

But I wonder if that says anything about the school itself?
Surely any school that has been funded the way HWSF has and is in partnership with Westminster School, can be allowed to boast a little bit, wouldn't you agree? :smile:

This brings me to my other point. With 45million pounds investment I would expect world class facilities.......maybe a better building idk.
Original post by Economistician
I did maths, biology, chemistry and economics exams. Tbh, I found them quite easy. But one thing, they're a little cheeky with putting some questions in awkward places on the tests. I personally missed the back page on the maths exams and others i spoke to had also missed questions due to not seeing them.
each of the 4 tests is scored out of around 150 I believe (not marks) they have some sort of scaling. And the interview is also out of 150.
You needed 380 points after the 4 tests to get an interview. And after the interviews you needed 469 points for an offer.

I assumed that we'd be scored on a point system.
So the least we need to get in each paper is 55 points... sounds attainable.

Is the maths exam in the UKMT format or GCSE paper format?
Original post by YounesB
Do you know any I can speak to?

I believe if you ask the Head-teacher if one of the students of his sixth form can talk to you and answer any questions you may have then I really doubt he will decline your request. I might also try send him a dm.
Original post by YounesB
The problem is - WHO DO I CHOOSE IF I GET OFFERS FROM BOTH!

I say - cross that bridge when you come to it :wink:
Right now, just aim to first GET IN to both.
Original post by YounesB
This brings me to my other point. With 45million pounds investment I would expect world class facilities.......maybe a better building idk.

You have a good point there.

Personally I wouldn't mind the building as long as the teaching and opportunities it offers are good.
But I heard that they mostly use Westminster's facilities, if you were wondering, so you would have access to good facilities.
I believe if you ask the Head-teacher if one of the students of his sixth form can talk to you and answer any questions you may have then I really doubt he will decline your request. I might also try send him a dm.

For me, he seemed quite rigid.

I missed the open day and I asked him whether I could come in briefly on a Saturday to have a little look around the school.

He gave me a really blunt answer and didn't even offer any alternatives.

He just seemed like a robot tbh. and I hate that in people

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending