The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Entrance Exams

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Braidednightmare
Fair enough. My school doesn't offer Further Maths iGCSE.

Now i know why.

Its not that hard, I was just too nervous to do it in the interview.
(edited 9 years ago)
[QUOTE="samispector;53597071"]Do you mind sharing what you received and your experience through the entrance process?

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE
I think the entrance process is quite easy and simple. I didnt prepare or anything. i think you just need to be confident and explain why you want to the subjects you want.
GUYS what on earth are we supposed to wear
I'm so stressed r we supposed to like prepare a speech on why we love our subject, or will we be asked questions and we just have to answer them on the spot.
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
I'm so stressed r we supposed to like prepare a speech on why we love our subject, or will we be asked questions and we just have to answer them on the spot.

I did it on the spot, but you can write it down and remember it. Im not the kind of person that remembers stuff, so I just wrote down a number of words that describe the topic, and made a mental note for it.

E.g. For maths I just wrote:

Adaptable
Versatile
Logical

And then I went into the interview and said a few sentences about each of those topics. I think that's how you should approach it. Remembering word for word would be hard, obvious and if you don't remember something, it will take to time to get a grip on what you were saying.
Reply 385
I didn't get an interview and felt really disheartened, but then some others from my school who they are not even B grade standard in key subjects like maths and English were accepted for an interview and I felt personally offended, especially as I felt I did pretty well. :frown:

The only people from my school who didn't get an interview were me and one other who both sat 4 GCSEs early with As and A*s. The only common factor is that we were the only ones who sat a Classic Language paper despite the fact that we both received an A and A* in Latin last year and are currently sitting the Latin Literature course at our school.

Has anyone else had a problem getting an interview that sat the Latin/Greek exam?
Original post by Mushuu
I didn't get an interview and felt really disheartened, but then some others from my school who they are not even B grade standard in key subjects like maths and English were accepted for an interview and I felt personally offended, especially as I felt I did pretty well. :frown:

The only people from my school who didn't get an interview were me and one other who both sat 4 GCSEs early with As and A*s. The only common factor is that we were the only ones who sat a Classic Language paper despite the fact that we both received an A and A* in Latin last year and are currently sitting the Latin Literature course at our school.

Has anyone else had a problem getting an interview that sat the Latin/Greek exam?

appeal if you want
Reply 387
Original post by lifeiscool
appeal if you want

Thanks, I will. I'm just concerned that appealing will make it too late.
Original post by Mushuu
Thanks, I will. I'm just concerned that appealing will make it too late.

Hi I don't think it is too late. I sounds very odd to me. How many from your school got called for interview. Also anyone who got interviewed today, can you let us know why yours where an hour and a half please.

I was speaking to a boy who has applied, and he seems to think because his mother works for Harris he will be given priority!! hopefully only wishful thinking.
Ugggggghhh!!! I really want to get in but i don't know whether i did good or not, the teacher said it was a really good interview but i really dont know...
To those that get in - have fun attending school on Saturday's LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 391
Original post by robertson12
Hi I don't think it is too late. I sounds very odd to me. How many from your school got called for interview. Also anyone who got interviewed today, can you let us know why yours where an hour and a half please.

I was speaking to a boy who has applied, and he seems to think because his mother works for Harris he will be given priority!! hopefully only wishful thinking.

9 out of 11 from my school got interviews, not including me
Original post by Mushuu
9 out of 11 from my school got interviews, not including me

I just hope all the good looking girls get in
Reply 393
has anyone who sat the entrance exam papers on the 5th of Feb got any response about whether they have an interview?? I haven't recieved anything and I'm slightly worried...
Original post by yasi98
has anyone who sat the entrance exam papers on the 5th of Feb got any response about whether they have an interview?? I haven't recieved anything and I'm slightly worried...

Your not alone there. Still waiting for a reply...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samispector
Your not alone there. Still waiting for a reply...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by yasi98

I think you should call them and ask for an update. They normally are very transparent about their intentions over a phone call.
They responded to my email, they haven't processed the late applicants yet, so there's hope, fingers crossed guys!
Does anyone know what the 'threshold mark' is for the entrance exams? Read through the admission policy and it turns out that exceeding this mark gets you an interview and ultimately an offer, judging on your performance at interview.
Original post by samispector
Does anyone know what the 'threshold mark' is for the entrance exams? Read through the admission policy and it turns out that exceeding this mark gets you an interview and ultimately an offer, judging on your performance at interview.

well based on last year's thread (it could be different for us) i gathered:

- each paper and the interview is given a score out of 150 (it is a scaled mark not a raw mark)

- you needed 380/600 (i think??) to get an interview

- the overall cut off mark was 469/750 (inc. interview score) for an offer. this will probably be different for us as it would be made so that a certain number of people get in so the 250th person may not have a score of 469.

- also there's priority for people on fsm and some other things
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
well based on last year's thread (it could be different for us) i gathered:

- each paper and the interview is given a score out of 150 (it is a scaled mark not a raw mark)

- you needed 380/600 (i think??) to get an interview

- the overall cut off mark was 469/750 (inc. interview score) for an offer. this will probably be different for us as it would be made so that a certain number of people get in so the 250th person may not have a score of 469.

- also there's priority for people on fsm and some other things

thanks for that, and yeah I read about the priorities towards some. So approximately 95 out of 150 on each paper, sounds like 60 - 65% on each paper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending