Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What did you medical students take for IB HL/SL??

I already know that u must do chemistry and Biology at HL but what else did you take?

Or do u know what anyone else took ? Or will take?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hey! i'm looking to do med as well

usually people take HL chem, bio, and maths for med...i think?
    but im not that good at maths for HL maths...so i decided to take a HL subject which, i guess you could say, id be confident that i could get a 6/7
    but if youre really confident with maths, id say go for HL maths. if not, then dont take HL maths cos itd just take up pretty much 90% of your time if you do HAHA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutibess)
    hey! i'm looking to do med as well

usually people take HL chem, bio, and maths for med...i think?
    but im not that good at maths for HL maths...so i decided to take a HL subject which, i guess you could say, id be confident that i could get a 6/7
    but if youre really confident with maths, id say go for HL maths. if not, then dont take HL maths cos itd just take up pretty much 90% of your time if you do HAHA
    Hey! Thanks for the reply haha!
    I'm confident with maths but i'm not sure if I want to do it for higher level. Could I do it for standard? and if so which universities would not approve of standard maths and only want higher ?
    Thanks !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for medicine and I did Chem/Bio/Eng HL, Spanish Ab/Maths/Psychology SL. No universities require higher level maths for medicine, but going all the way down to studies might be a bit extreme for some; standard is accepted by all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joepusey1)
    I'm applying for medicine and I did Chem/Bio/Eng HL, Spanish Ab/Maths/Psychology SL. No universities require higher level maths for medicine, but going all the way down to studies might be a bit extreme for some; standard is accepted by all.
    Thanks that's great!
    I was thinking of doing:

HL: Chemistry, Biology, Geography
    SL: Spanish ab initio, Maths, English lit.

Is that a good combination for oxbridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diana99)
    Thanks that's great!
    I was thinking of doing:

HL: Chemistry, Biology, Geography
    SL: Spanish ab initio, Maths, English lit.

Is that a good combination for oxbridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm no Oxbridge, but that sounds pretty good! As long as you've got Chem and Bio HL and maths at least SL, you should be ok (check the websites)- other than that, take ones you enjoy and will get good marks in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joepusey1)
    I'm no Oxbridge, but that sounds pretty good! As long as you've got Chem and Bio HL and maths at least SL, you should be ok (check the websites)- other than that, take ones you enjoy and will get good marks in!
    Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know this was from a while ago, but just wanted to let you know that for Cambridge they want HL chem, bio and maths. All other UK unis really just want HL chem and bio. Most don't even specify if they want maths SL or studies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzygrace)
    I know this was from a while ago, but just wanted to let you know that for Cambridge they want HL chem, bio and maths. All other UK unis really just want HL chem and bio. Most don't even specify if they want maths SL or studies!
    I guess they don't specify but taking studies makes you a less competitive applicant so I definitely recommend taking standard level, its hard as it to get an offer for medicine, why make things harder for yourself?

ReputationRep:
    I'm an EU student and most of my friends who are going to medicine have:
    HL: bio, chem, physics
    SL: math, eng a, finnish
    To get into medice here you need all three sciences so students get exempt from social sciences

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzygrace)
    Awh that's upsetting because I would like to apply for cambridge, however apparently a level maths is easier than HL maths. So I'm not sure if I should just stick with a levels to go to cambridge uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Awh that's upsetting because I would like to apply for cambridge, however apparently a level maths is easier than HL maths. So I'm not sure if I should just stick with a levels to go to cambridge uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A level maths is definitely a lot easier than HL maths as its the equivalent of standard level maths but British unis haven't figured that out yet...they equate all higher level subjects to A levels and standard level subjects to AS - which isn't true for every subject

If you really are interested in Cambridge and believe you've got a chance of getting an offer than do yourself a favour and do a levels. I honestly wouldn't recommend anyone take IB if they've got the chance to go to a good a level school as the overall IB scores required by unis is higher for IB student than A level students. However if you really are interested in CAS/EE/TOK and taking a wide range of subjects then consider taking IB but I wouldn't if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbunny)
    A level maths is definitely a lot easier than HL maths as its the equivalent of standard level maths but British unis haven't figured that out yet...they equate all higher level subjects to A levels and standard level subjects to AS - which isn't true for every subject

If you really are interested in Cambridge and believe you've got a chance of getting an offer than do yourself a favour and do a levels. I honestly wouldn't recommend anyone take IB if they've got the chance to go to a good a level school as the overall IB scores required by unis is higher for IB student than A level students. However if you really are interested in CAS/EE/TOK and taking a wide range of subjects then consider taking IB but I wouldn't if I were you.
    Okay thanks for the advice :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks for the advice :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why that emoji? Did you really want to do IB?? You're better off knowing the truth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbunny)
    Why that emoji? Did you really want to do IB?? You're better off knowing the truth
    Ohh no haha sorry I was rushing . I was not supposed to use that emoji haha.

It was supposed to be a smiley face
    But thank you so much for the advice anyway :yy::top::yep::yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.