Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What may decide the flat rent except for crime map? watch

ReputationRep:
    For everyone rents a flat or a room, it's important to know how much it really worths compared with other accommodation.And I'm trying to figure out that.

A friend told me she was searching a private flat or a room of a house in the city we live. She found out sth she couldn't understand: there is a long river in our city and the rent on the northwest of river is much higher than that on the southeast bank of the river. (She only considered the accommodation around the river). In her words, as she went across the river, the rent and the housing price fall dramatically, even though both sides are equally far away from the train station, supermarkets, etc. I guess, because the eastern sides of the river is closer to the city centre, However, when I really went through these streets, I found actually the eastern side looks better. They have parks, a lot of better (I can even say a little bit luxury) houses and flats, housing association, clinics and lots of hotels. But on the west, there are only relatively hunble flats, more restanrants and more supermarkets and a big hospital. So I found that doesn't make sense, too.

I looked up a crime map made two years ago, and it shows the west is a little bit more far away from the stabbing bins since the east is closer to the city centre. Do you think that can explain it? Or can you remind me of other factors that result in lower rent.

ReputationRep:
    the proximity to the town centre, How maybe one area has better travel connection (closer to main highways) etc. Although definetly the area that is more expensive is more expensive because of the poplulation and the bigger houses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmad95)
    the proximity to the town centre, How maybe one area has better travel connection (closer to main highways) etc. Although definetly the area that is more expensive is more expensive because of the poplulation and the bigger houses.
    You are right in the transportation factor. But the area closer to the city center may have bars lined and therefore more drunk fight and the neighbourhood with more houses may have more drunken punchies in the houses without CCTV.
    Another reason I guess is people's background on the east side might decide that.

ReputationRep:
    We are renting at the moment. And being in a student area, it is not the best area if we are looking at low crime rates. Burgulars know we have game consoles. computers, etc.... and we've notice our area's burgulary rate goes usually happen during times when students arent normally in ie holiday times. We arent going to invest in somone coming in to install CCTV so we go this one. It is wireless and we can view our house from our phone. But burgulary is one thing, and random stabbings is another. I dont know if I would live in that area for that reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andersonsophie_8)
    We are renting at the moment. And being in a student area, it is not the best area if we are looking at low crime rates. Burgulars know we have game consoles. computers, etc.... and we've notice our area's burgulary rate goes usually happen during times when students arent normally in ie holiday times. We arent going to invest in somone coming in to install CCTV so we go this one. It is wireless and we can view our house from our phone. But burgulary is one thing, and random stabbings is another. I dont know if I would live in that area for that reason.
    Living in the student accommodation can prevent ourselves from burgulary or maybe living in the second floor and above. I don't know why stabbing happen either, I guess it is up to how many people around possess offensive weapon and knives, which are usually not used for defence. Or maybe there are drunken fights between less professional people.

That don't bother most of people if they don't come out late in the evening. Some of my friends left lib at midnight everyday. But I'm a coward...p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lraul)
    Living in the student accommodation can prevent ourselves from burgulary or maybe living in the second floor and above. I don't know why stabbing happen either, I guess it is up to how many people around possess offensive weapon and knives, which are usually not used for defence. Or maybe there are drunken fights between less professional people.

That don't bother most of people if they don't come out late in the evening. Some of my friends left lib at midnight everyday. But I'm a coward...p
    Scared of placed where some idiots have weapons. If you look at that way, London is like a no go place.

Yes I know what you mean. Out during the night - same here.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.