Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm asked to show that the root mean squared speed equals ... using a standard integral. I've been given an equation for f(v). (I can attach a photo later if it'll help)

However, I do not understand why:
    <v^2> = inegrate[(v^2)*f(v)]dv
    ... the limits being infinity and 0. ('integrate' is where the integral symbol is meant to be)

Why does the mean square speed, <v^2>, equal that integral? Is there a derivation to prove this? It's just not making sense.

I've got this identity:
    <x^2> = integrate[(x^2)*P(x)]dx

I substituted v for x, dv for dx, and thus P(x) would be replaced by P(v)..which in turn is f(v). BUT P(v) does NOT equal f(v)...does it..which is why I don't get how to use this indentity to get the equation at the top!

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    For any discrete variable \bar{x} = \sum xP(x).
    Extending this to a continuous variable,  \bar{x} = \int xf(x). The summation or integral is over all possible values of x, denoted by \pm \infty, but the function likely will equal 0 for some of these values.
    Replace the x by v2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    For any discrete variable \bar{x} = \sum xP(x).
    Extending this to a continuous variable,  \bar{x} = \int xf(x). The summation or integral is over all possible values of x, denoted by \pm \infty, but the function likely will equal 0 for some of these values.
    Replace the x by v2
    Somehow it all makes sense with that now!! Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsGal)
    Somehow it all makes sense with that now!! Cheers
    You're welcome.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.