Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody I've just applied for the PG Dip at City and I have noticed that on my UCAS e-application, the other Universities I have applied to have a little post script underneath advising of literacy and numeracy exams before interviews can commence, all except under City's application. Do they have the literacy and numeracy entrance exams? Also, if you are currently on this course, can you tell me if it is difficult course? Is the teaching good, are the premises nice? Thank you and wish me luck

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if City accept applicants with a 2.ii honours degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pollyabu)
    Hi everybody I've just applied for the PG Dip at City and I have noticed that on my UCAS e-application, the other Universities I have applied to have a little post script underneath advising of literacy and numeracy exams before interviews can commence, all except under City's application. Do they have the literacy and numeracy entrance exams? Also, if you are currently on this course, can you tell me if it is difficult course? Is the teaching good, are the premises nice? Thank you and wish me luck
    Yes City does the literacy and numeracy exams, I believe for english you do a reading comprehension task and write a short essay. For Numeracy is simple drugs calculations I think they mark it on the day and call in the people who have passed for an interview on the spot.
    The course is general is not bad but I had higher expectations for example I was expecting we to have at least some weeks on pharmacology and anatomy but it was not the case. The courseworks primarily focuses on NMC guidelines safe practice, essays on communication, leadership and management. People who found it difficult was the nature of nursing itself for example balancing the demands of placement with living on the student bursary which is just about to cover rents in london, if no, just under. As with any nursing degree you have to be really proactive with learning as there is only so much they can teach you at uni, because on placement you shadow a staff nurse so it really depends on who you get some are more reluctant to work with students than others so you must be proactive and push them to achieve your learning objectives.

My main complaint with nursing in the UK is there is no clinical instructor, someone who has the responsibility of teaching students,only focusing on education and not have responsibility of patients. Your learning is in the hands of whoever is assigned to you and they may or may not be in it for the right reasons. Fortunately for me I have had good mentors but for some I really have to earn their respect and trust for me to practice some skills on the patients. Sometimes nurses do give the wrong rational behind to procedure so the learning for students would be inconsistent across the ward. So I compensate this through taking responsibility of my own learn, reading the relevant articles and books. I guess you only get what you put in. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue-Shoes)
    Anyone know if City accept applicants with a 2.ii honours degree?

Yes from any degree background but you can call the schools admissions to double check

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LIzzieWoo)
    Yes City does the literacy and numeracy exams, I believe for english you do a reading comprehension task and write a short essay. For Numeracy is simple drugs calculations I think they mark it on the day and call in the people who have passed for an interview on the spot.
    The course is general is not bad but I had higher expectations for example I was expecting we to have at least some weeks on pharmacology and anatomy but it was not the case. The courseworks primarily focuses on NMC guidelines safe practice, essays on communication, leadership and management. People who found it difficult was the nature of nursing itself for example balancing the demands of placement with living on the student bursary which is just about to cover rents in london, if no, just under. As with any nursing degree you have to be really proactive with learning as there is only so much they can teach you at uni, because on placement you shadow a staff nurse so it really depends on who you get some are more reluctant to work with students than others so you must be proactive and push them to achieve your learning objectives.

My main complaint with nursing in the UK is there is no clinical instructor, someone who has the responsibility of teaching students,only focusing on education and not have responsibility of patients. Your learning is in the hands of whoever is assigned to you and they may or may not be in it for the right reasons. Fortunately for me I have had good mentors but for some I really have to earn their respect and trust for me to practice some skills on the patients. Sometimes nurses do give the wrong rational behind to procedure so the learning for students would be inconsistent across the ward. So I compensate this through taking responsibility of my own learn, reading the relevant articles and books. I guess you only get what you put in. Good luck
    Thank you so much Lizziewoo, that helps a lot As a final question, where do City mainly have their placements? I live in Cricklewood NW London which is a bit of a step away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pollyabu)
    Thank you so much Lizziewoo, that helps a lot As a final question, where do City mainly have their placements? I live in Cricklewood NW London which is a bit of a step away.

They have them in Homerton, UCLH and Barts/ The Royal London

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.