Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Just wondered if any of you had any similar experiences?

Basically, I'm starting my masters soon and want to pay with my AmEx so that I can get the reward points, but the university doesn't accept it because of charges, etc, etc.

Is there any way to get around this? Maybe like a cheap MasterCard or Visa preloading card that I would be able to get as a purchase?

Any hints and tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Cbr_boy

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can only buy Visa and Mastercard gift cards not prepaid cards so no way around it unless the uni takes PayPal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    You can only buy Visa and Mastercard gift cards not prepaid cards so no way around it unless the uni takes PayPal?
    Yeah pick the 'send money to friend and family' as its no charge then, I'm sure the Uni won't mind

(Original post by Runninground)
    Yeah pick the 'send money to friend and family' as its no charge then, I'm sure the Uni won't mind
    Well there is, it's like 2.5-3% to pay a family member with PayPal using AMEX.

OP just needs to decide if the points are worth it.

ReputationRep:
    They don't accept PayPal either unfortunately. It's not an issue, just wanted to earn some points seeing as I'm going to be spending the money anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't know if you're still looking for a solution but I use a company called Billhop which lets you send payments to UK bank accounts using your Amex albeit with a 3% fee, but still accumulates membership rewards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by autarky15)
    Don't know if you're still looking for a solution but I use a company called Billhop which lets you send payments to UK bank accounts using your Amex albeit with a 3% fee, but still accumulates membership rewards.
    The 3% fee is going to more than cancel out the value of the Membership Reward points!

OP - unless you've got another card which they accept and you earn rewards such as Avios, then there isn't much you can do. Lots of places don't accept American Express because of the merchant fees, so it's not uncommon.

EDIT: and I've just seen this is 2 years's old

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.