The Student Room Group

Keep getting stressed about writing essays

Hi everyone

Does anyone have any advice for me? Every time I come to write an essay I really freak out. I just panic and think 'OMG I can't do this' and I think it will just be a failure. I get myself so worked up I spend more time worrying than writing my essays and I just try to avoid essays in general.

Does anyone have advice for the self-doubt/stress/anxiety or help for making writing essays easier??

Thanks so so so much to everyone

Edit: As for preparation, I have gone to all my lectures, done all the primary reading before hand too. It's just not very obvious what they (the lecturers) want from you!!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Have you been taught how answer an essay based on the wording of the question?

Have you been taught how write an essay plan?

Have you been taught how to structure an essay?
Original post by Simes
Have you been taught how answer an essay based on the wording of the question?
Yes, at A-Level (now in third year at uni)

Have you been taught how write an essay plan?
No

Have you been taught how to structure an essay?
Same as the first question, but I have 'taught myself'

I have tried to speak to my lecturers in their office hours but they tell me to come back when I have something to say about the subject. I have spoken to a lot of people on the same course and they all have the same issue of struggling with their essays.
(edited 9 years ago)
What are you studying? Essays will be different if it's a science-based course to a humanities-based one.
Reply 4
Original post by Georg Hegel
Does anyone have advice for the self-doubt/stress/anxiety or help for making writing essays easier??

Yes, this is me, with every bit of academic writing. I've done an undergrad, a Masters and am now two years into a PhD. It's always the same for me.

I've just accepted that it's part of my writing process. I've always handed work in on time and got decent results in the end, but I have to go through that sick, useless feeling each time. . I've come to terms with the panic at the start, being the adrenaline kick that I need to get moving. During my undergrad, I managed to condense the panic and inertia phase into three days. Anything I do during those three days - research, reading, writing - will be utter garbage and will have to be discarded. But I have to do that part in order to move to the next more productive stage.

My uni runs free academic writing day schools, which are outside the formal teaching curriculum for our undergrad courses. Your might have something similar which will take you through the basics.
Original post by LannaBanana
What are you studying? Essays will be different if it's a science-based course to a humanities-based one.

Philosophy
bump
Cures for stress:

-cold showers
-find a bit
-aggressive exercise
-sleep
-organisation

Quick Reply

Latest