Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have a dilemma.

I got a part-time job at greggs recently which fits in great with my uni schedule (and they are quite flexible with my hours). The only issue is that as I begin to look into flats for next year (I live in halls right now), most of my friends will be looking for the lease to start close to september.

The issue with this is that my parents live in another city quite far away from where I work and I don't know what to do over summer as I really need to keep this job for next year.

Anyone else been in a similar situation and found a solution?

ReputationRep:
    Can you rent uni halls over the summer. I know you can do that at some unis.

ReputationRep:
    Would you be able to work in a Greggs closer to where your parents live over the summer? Or use holidays / request unpaid leave from your current branch?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Can you rent uni halls over the summer. I know you can do that at some unis.
    You can get an extra month but that wouldn't be enough. Not even sure if i could afford it on my wages alone, its quite expensive.

(Original post by DarkMagic)
    Would you be able to work in a Greggs closer to where your parents live over the summer? Or use holidays / request unpaid leave from your current branch?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Unpaid leave is the last resort. Switching branches is only possible when there is a vacancy.

ReputationRep:
    Options that people have done in that situation at Uni:

1. Switch for the summer to a Greggs closer if there is a position available
    2. Ask them for unpaid leave - essentially just come back after the summer and resume your job if they are ok with that, sometimes they say you have to reapply which is a risk but they know you so are likely to hire you again.
    3. rent uni accommodation over the summer - pretty annoying as who wants to spend summer alone at uni.
    4. Leave and hope to find another job next year

ReputationRep:
    Can you find someone who's looking for a room mate? I'm sure you're not alone in this situation and you still have time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.