Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Done a Computer Science Degree 10 yrs ago .. worthless now? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

Dont know if this is the right section but I really want to get into the IT field at the ripe old age of 31.

Now I did my degree nearly 10 yrs ago and straight after uni decided to go into the family business which in hindsight was a terrible mistake as I didn't get to develop myself as an individual.

Long story short, we recently leased the business and now been applying for junior roles in any sort of IT related role (8 months) with zero feedback.

Can anyone advise me so I can get my foot in the door as I feel my age is a big contributing factor into not getting a job.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karyog)
    Hey guys

Dont know if this is the right section but I really want to get into the IT field at the ripe old age of 31.

Now I did my degree nearly 10 yrs ago and straight after uni decided to go into the family business which in hindsight was a terrible mistake as I didn't get to develop myself as an individual.

Long story short, we recently leased the business and now been applying for junior roles in any sort of IT related role (8 months) with zero feedback.

Can anyone advise me so I can get my foot in the door as I feel my age is a big contributing factor into not getting a job.

Thanks in advance.
    Ehh.. Given your degree is very old most places would decline you since you're not up to date with technology.. Well your degree isn't

As they say.. Start from the bottom and make your way up.

Go for some professional industry qualifications such as the A+ then apply for a help desk job and then everything will fall into place.. Keep progressing yourself.. Get more qualifications and keep racking in experience?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.