Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Something I've contemplated about for a while is maybe getting into drawing Japanese manga-style art, possibly involving drawing anthropomorphic animal characters, as I seem to have a high level of appreciation for them (hint: see my avatar). Does anyone else do the same, and could they offer any tips on how to get started? Are there any books people would recommend for this sort of thing? I'd love to be good at it, but the only problem is I haven't done any art since year 9 and I wouldn't regard myself to be very good at art, but I've not done it in a long time so it might be easier for me to pick up.

I have an old Toshiba tablet laptop which could be used for Photoshop or Manga Studio, but I fancy getting more creative with it. Any tips would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Just draw?
    Get some paper, a pencil and draw what comes into your head... (sketchbooks are great but not necessary, digital is best when you already have a sketch to paint)

I would strongly suggest studying some anatomy- plenty of tutorials on deviantart and tumblr, or pick up an animal/human anatomy book

I draw/ digitally paint, but not manga or furries ( not much appreciation for them- unless done well).
    Stuck for inspiration? Go on deviantart, make an account, and browse artwork, the ones were you like a particular aspect of- fav it. Then analyse what particularly you like and draw something involving that.

The main thing is to draw... And draw a lot, do not get discouraged when something turns out not the way you want it to- just identify why it is like this and draw it again all fixed up.

(edit: also try out this website- http://artists.pixelovely.com/ it has a tool where it shows you photos of animals, figures, feet, hands, faces so you can draw them)

Good luck with your drawing!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.