Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How would you deal with a parent that comes into the clinic after having done an examination on their child, and came to conclusion that they were being abused by the parents. the parents are really angry, and saying they haven't done anything wrong etc etc,
    what is the correct way to handle this situation? what should/shouldnt you say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candyloveee)
    How would you deal with a parent that comes into the clinic after having done an examination on their child, and came to conclusion that they were being abused by the parents. the parents are really angry, and saying they haven't done anything wrong etc etc,
    Sounds like a question on the sjt lol

If you notice unusual injuries on the child, you can ask the parents how they got it. Ask if there are any problems at home, who looks after him, is he missing days off school, screen for neglect etc. If it seems dodgy and their story isn't consistent with the nature of the injury you need to alert your senior colleague for advice. If you have a reasonable suspicion of abuse you need to inform social services in the child's best interests. You'd also probably want to ask for a skeletal survey for other injuries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    Sounds like a question on the sjt lol

If you notice unusual injuries on the child, you can ask the parents how they got it. Ask if there are any problems at home, who looks after him, is he missing days off school, screen for neglect etc. If it seems dodgy and their story isn't consistent with the nature of the injury you need to alert your senior colleague for advice. If you have a reasonable suspicion of abuse you need to inform social services in the child's best interests. You'd also probably want to ask for a skeletal survey for other injuries.
    can you tell the parents that you're going to be calling social services? Also, would you allow the kid go back home with them that day?

ReputationRep:
    can you tell the parents that you're going to be calling social services? Also, would you allow the kid go back home with them that day?
    I suppose you'd just say you're concerned about the child's injuries and want to do some further investigations to check if there's anything you've missed on examination. yes you should tell the parents what you propose on doing, and that you'd like to offer support to the child and the parents by contacting social services. I assume they would act on it quite quickly, and I don't think you'd be able to detain the child from their parents unless they're in immediate danger in which case you'd call the police.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Dexa)
    I suppose you'd just say you're concerned about the child's injuries and want to do some further investigations to check if there's anything you've missed on examination. yes you should tell the parents what you propose on doing, and that you'd like to offer support to the child and the parents by contacting social services. I assume they would act on it quite quickly, and I don't think you'd be able to detain the child from their parents unless they're in immediate danger in which case you'd call the police.
    If you suspect a non-accidental injury you cannot let the child go home before they've been fully assessed. If they're being beaten up/sexually abused/whatever, and you've just told the parents that you suspect something is wrong, they are very definitely in "immediate danger". If they try to leave you call security.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    If you suspect a non-accidental injury you cannot let the child go home before they've been fully assessed. If they're being beaten up/sexually abused/whatever, and you've just told the parents that you suspect something is wrong, they are very definitely in "immediate danger". If they try to leave you call security.
    This.

It's a matter for security and/or police if the parents try to take the child home, if you suspect NAI.

ReputationRep:
    Stay calm. I'd say look into how the injuries (if any are visible) came into place. I'd suggest talking to the child (if they can talk) and asking about the injuries. Three outcomes: 1) The child got hurt playing, etc, as children do. 2) The child was hurt by someone else and the parents haven't treated said injuries properly 3) The child is being abused by the parents.
    If any of the last two, do call social services.
    Hope this helped.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.