Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Smash Bandicoot Film 2015/6: Annihilate that DVD Rack! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Disclaimer: Not to be confused with Film 2015/6 or any cinematic releases this is an accumulation of all of the films I want to see, all the DVDs I have bought since 2011 which I have yet to see and recordings taped on the telly downstairs!

edit: I have had to amend my goalposts to 50 films by June 2016 due to unforeseen personal circumstances, and the entire list likely sometime in 2018...sorry guyz

I am open to anyone carrying on my challenge on my behalf when I move on from TSR, which is possible within the next year or 2.

Feel free to drop by with any comments, thoughts on said film. I will add brief reviews occasionally, nothing Rotten Tomatoes worthy but just some thoughts when I feel a film deserves them and I have the time.

I should note that this list is long-at present I have 138 potential films not including cinematic releases to go through, 54 of which I own. Indeed it is a New Year's Resolution to get through at least 50 by 1st December 2016 which I can only break if I get a very good job this year

The challenge therefore is for me to hold accountability to TSR for watching at least one film on this list every week

No spoilers until I have announced that I have watched the film-is there a tick-box system? because otherwise I will just use a or perhaps a rating system ranging from unimpressed :pierre: to in ecstasy :sexface:

but we shall come back to that!

Let's begin!

I was asked for a rating system out of 10:

0-2: :fatcontroller: says GTFO

3-4: Unimpressed/meh critic :pierre: or

5-6: OK/Decent/Good: Standard or

7-8: Great fun/enjoyable/interesting etc. : or

9-10: Absolutely fantastic: I was put in a :coma: of joy, or it really made me go 'mmm' :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    0) Film 2014

1) Back to the Future Trilogy

2) Captain America: The First Avenger

3) Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor

4) Fritz Lang, 'Nosferatu'

5-7) Simon Pegg's Cornetto Trilogy (this would be a :sexface: but World's End let me down slightly)

8) Spirited Away :sexface:

9) Pacific Rim :sexface:

10) Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy :sexface:

11) The Last King of Scotland

12) Hurt Locker

13) It's A Wonderful Life

14) Fantasia

ReputationRep:
    Having noticed how long this post alone is, I'm probably going to repost each section into a new post at a later date, as well as having this master post. Or perhaps, say into a post of say 10 films, idk it's a work in progress. Jump to the back of the thread for the spllit-section posts

As at the present date 07/05/15 the 'reviews' are on page 1, and contents page on pg. 2. This order will hopefully be reversed in due time

Film 2015: Priority 1A DVDs

1) Fritz Lang 'Die Nibelungen' Pt. 1: Siegfried

2) Die Nibelungen Pt. 2: Kriemhilds Rache

3) Lord of the Rings: The Animated Movie

4) Cloud Atlas-9/10 :sogood:

Having not read the novel, missed this in the cinema and completely misinterpreted the DVD front cover (!) I did not realise how original a treat I was in for tonight.

It's difficult to say which was my favourite story. In terms of raw emotional depth, it's between the visually stunning futurist dystopia of the android Somni-451 and the repressively homophobic 1930s for Robert Frobisher and his lover Sixsmith. But Hugo Weaving's Old Georgie in the apocalyptic future creeped the hell out of me in a fun way, while Nurse Noakes and The Ghastly Ordeal of Timothy Cavendish were gloriously camp. The soundtrack both in and out of the film was compelling, especially the soaring yet heart-wrenching end credits theme. A cast including Tom Hanks fighting his inner demons, Halle Berry as both a 1970s undercover reporter and a denizen of an unknowable future…Broadbent, Weaving as various nasties, Sturgess, and more was never to go amiss. That they could play several roles simultaneously and one couldn't always tell which was which speaks volumes of their aptitude. But of course the true star of the Wachowski's ambitious masterpiece is the human condition, so brilliantly portrayed and analysed in 6 very different yet intimately linked characters, times, locations, plots. Embrace the Other, and rise against all odds for truth, justice and love.

It very nearly made me cry which is my litmus test for a perfect 10, so unfortunately CA I must give you a 9. Nonetheless, do not miss.

5) Les Miserables: Live in London [OK, I'm being liberal with DVDs, musicals count ]

6) Rent: Live on Broadway

7) Four Lions

8) Home Alone

9) The Goonies

10) Jumanji: 7/10

Having grew up watching the animated series on CITV religiously, I can’t believe it took me this many years to watch more than the finale on TV repeats-but hey, isn’t that what the Film 2015/6 Challenge is for, correcting sins of the past?

Anyway, in full honestly I did choose to watch this as a distraction from my single woes this Valentine’s Day, and if any man needs some nostalgic loving, it’s the late and great Robin Williams. Robin is as ever on fire as a man-child who’s spent 26 years trapped in a demonic board game started in 1969 with a friend, joined by a budding young (and surprisingly talented) Kirsten Dunst. Robin was perfect for the role of portraying the boy yet to face both very real enemies and his inner demons-fear and learning compassion for his reserved, aristocratic father.

Aside from the slap-stick humour coming with the plot, the chuckles were rarely belly-aching but always bring a smile. One has to listen closely for Mr Williams’ more adult-oriented gags, mostly from the tension between his friend and her ’10,000 hours of therapy’ for witnessing his being sucked into the board game 2 and a half decades ago. I have to say I was a little disappointed by the lack of ‘in-game’ action, but that probably would have ravaged their budget in the 90s! Nonetheless, a great family romp and virtual reality of a treacherous and romanticized colonial Africa.

Spoiler:
    Show

Highlights for me included the magnificent venus fly trap, adorable CGI giant spiders, the hunter of course, and the transformation into a monkey. All :awesome:!

P.S. Some witty devil ironically added an ‘interactive board game’ to the Special Features. I’m not sure about this one guyz! :beard:

11) Taken

(Original post by Smash Bandicoot)

12) Blade Runner: Final Cut 8/10

You may have known that this was circulating around the cinemas lately. For a fiver at my local Odeon, this was a bargain! I'll confess that I have never read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and the one time I've previously seen the Director's Cut I couldn't for the life of me follow it so this was a pleasant surprise!

Well what can I say, at risk of entering hyperbole, Ridley Scott's indeed created a classic wit this one. Perhaps didn't blow me away the way that the Gods of SF film told me it would, but it was certainly moving. The vaguely East Asian dystopian city setting and film noir cinematography delivered a perfect ambience for the gritty plot, while the breathtaking musical score by Vangelis gave me goosebumps at times.

Of course Harrison Ford as Blade Runner Decker always gets good reviews as the reluctant tough cop with a heart of gold, and Sean Young's Rachel really helped us empathise with the struggle of the Replicants, but for me the award for best acting goes to the baddies. Hauer as Batty was truly terrifying, and a scene of his inhuman capabilities is pure nightmare fuel. Yet still we ultimately sympathise with his existential crisis, a struggle to find meaning within what remains of his tiny lifespan, a life which had hitherto faced only the misery of years of persecution by humans who do not understand the ghost within the machines they've created. Pris also captured the deranged Harley Quinn-esque anarchist android to a tee; she makes for some spectacular acrobatics, is a sexual predator and it's hard to forget the few chillingly bittersweet times she opens her mouth.

This version includes the alternative 'secret ending' which I won't spoil for you here, but as much as it's a head trip to get around, it works far better than the previous 'happy ending'. The highlight for me was not in the epic action scenes or gripping finale, but in what I felt was a fantastic sequence where Decker views the evidence on the camera using surreal yet oddly plausible forensic techniques. [Again spoilers ]

Overall I was thoroughly impressed, and it'll be interesting to see how the Director's Cut holds up again, whether the additional narration by Ford adds to or detracts from what in the Final Cut holds up to be a fittingly minimalist experience. My friend and I agreed that it's one of those films which has to be see on the big screen to be appreciated in all of its otherwise subdued glory.

Ultimately I have given this film an 8, as it did not nearly reduce me to tears/tug the heart strings like Cloud Atlas, but definitely hit right in the feels. Were I to mess around with the ranking system it'd technically be an 8.5. Still, 2 Thumbs up!

13) The Expendables

14) Django Unchained

15) Jim Henson's Labyrinth

16) Scott Pilgrim vs. the World [Deluxe Edition]

17) Death Note

18) Tekken

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Films 1B: Christmas 2014 Recordings

19) Arthur Christmas 7/10

I really enjoyed the first half of this. A witty, unique take on the Father Christmas legend and modern Christmas chockfull of gags and Christmas trivia for all ages. Second half let me down a little, lost its edge but whimsical enough to keep the Christmas spirit. Arthur himself was ****ing annoying, but hats off to 'Stephen' (voice of the new generation) and Bill Nighy as Grandpa Santa for stellar performances

20) WALL-E: 9/10 :coma:

This film hit all the right feels. Stunning visuals, loved the Fallout-esque setup and music (the film came out before Fallout 3 I believe?), nice philosophical and ecological dilllemas, and the romance between WALL-E and EVE was lovely. Nice work as ever Pixar!

21) The Iron Giant [adult re-watch]-7/10

At first I felt this was a little lacklustre, and was considering giving it a 6 or even a 5. Sure, Warner Bro.s animation can never live up to its predecessors over at Walt Disney Studios, coming just at the end of the Disney Renaissance. However, over time I warmed to the characters. Hogarth the boy protagonist is an annoying squealing twerp, sure, but the beatnik and FBI trench coat are characterised with expertise to represent the clashing ideologies of the Left and Right in Cold War America. Equally the small-town setup is spot on, while the sci-fi element is just on the realms of plausible fantasy. And of course, Vin Diesel as a giant war machine with a heart of gold and child-like naivety, wanting nothing more than to be loved and to save the day like Superman? My heart melted

22) The Grinch [adult re-watch]: 6/10

I used to love Dr. Seuss as a kid (Green Eggs and Ham anyone?) However, I don't know what to make of Ron Howard's live action adaptation. Perhaps it is the lack of source material to adapt into a Christmas blockbuster. The love triangle between Grinch and Hoo is a little contrived for my liking, although it exemplifies the obsession with looks, surface beauty and 'fitting in' in modern society. There are a few great jokes and laughs but the comedy is not appealing to my young adult self the way it did as a child. Perhaps I've just outgrown Jim Carrey's zany energy and deliberate weirdness, something which saddens me as I used to adore the similar humour in Freakazoid! This is in no way his fault (the man's got bipolar disorder) but it gets a bit over-powering, even seems gratuitous at times. This could also be symptomatic of the passage of time, as I believe Carrey largely comes across as a relic of the 80s and 90s; something he even references in an attempt to break the fourth wall

My favourite moment is Grinch's ingeniously wacky transportation between Hoobville and his mountain lair, up and down a gutter defying the laws of physics in true fantasy spirit. Hats off to the admittedly catchy 50s crooner TBT 'You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch' as well! In true festive spirit, Taylor Momsen is also heart-melting

(as her adult self is :sexface: whoops Freudian slip there )

as the rebellious, free-thinking Hoo child to give mean old Mr. Grinch a chance to be one of the Hoos and spend Christmas in company loved. Nawww

Very likely to appeal to wiley young-uns in the family, but if you're going to watch a Seuss adaptation with the kids next holiday of your choice, watch the Cat in the Hat. And for Carrey on fire, check out The Mask and Ace Ventura. Sorry for another depressing review!
    23) The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. 7/10 [review coming soon!]

24) E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial

25) Close Encounters of the Third Kind

26) Galaxy Quest: 8/10

When my goofy old dad recommended this to me I at first had my reservations, but as it turns out this is really good fun! The low budget paid off in its favour to give off the 'made-for-TV' vibes as a clever 'meta-reference' to the in-film 70s TV show. Galaxy Quest is well known as a satire on the rise of the nerd, and to that end I really feel it holds down well. The level of hidden in-jokes, winks and general breaking of the 4th wall with regards to the SF&Fantasy genre/general late 20th century geek culture can't be covered by me in a short review unfortunately, so I'll link you to the Wikipedia and TV Tropes page on this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_Quest#Plot

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/GalaxyQuest

Keep your eyes peeled is all I can say.

However, character highlights have to be noted:

i) Alan Rickman as ever on form as the acerbic misanthrope of the team: 'By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings' :awesome:

ii) The humanoid alien race of Thermians and Mathesar's adorable monotonous meeping. For all their intelligence, Thermians do not understand the concepts of fiction or entertainment, and it's truly heart-breaking to watch Mathesar's revelation that the show is not real :cry2:

iii) Hats off to Tim 'Buzz Lightyear' Allen, projecting a cocky secretly Captain Romeo to his fans but secretly disillusioned and depressed by the show's cancellation. Jason Nesmith is a major inspiration for Futurama's now-revered Zapp Brannigan

iv) Sigourney Weaver for unleashing her inner fanboy (and feminist) with this one. The same woman who brought us the hard-as-nails Ridley of Alien is here prepared to outright lamp shade the Bechdel Test :eek:

v) 'Guy' Fleegman, a tender prod at the history of those poor Redshirts 'I'm just a glorified extra, Fred'

vi) General Sarris in all his lovably scaly glory and desire for galactic domination…

vii) Brandon, voice of all those eccentric and misunderstood Trekkies out there

Several action scenes are absolutely iconic in their level of parody, feeling like they came straight out a B-movie-or, whodathunk it, a 70s sci-fi show These include the desert planet home to the walking golem Gorignak and Gremlin-like Blue Demons, the epic mine-field chase, the gauntlet to the McGuffin 'Omega 13' and the final 'pushing of the red button' which I shan't spoil for you.

Yet perhaps what matters the most about Galaxy Quest beneath all of is how, despite the stark realities of their unemployment situation and being ostracised from mainstream America, we really feel that this is not just a casting list, but a family. A dysfunctional one of course, like all great families and rightly so. (The Simpsons, anyone?) This gets to something at the heart of geek culture: the unquestionable camaraderie of its members in the face of adversity. Whether the opposition is a reptilian warlord or the high school bully, geeks will always unite and watch each other's backs.

If you're looking for an out-of-this-world film experience this week, but not a big fan of ostensibly pretentious and dark SF most of the time, rest assured this holds up in the halls of comedy with the likes of Meet the Fockers. Beam me up, Freddy!

27) Fantastic Mr. Fox

28) Dr Seuss’ Horton hears a Who!

29) March of the Penguins

30) Shrek Forever After

31)
    Limitless: 5/10

First off, I should concede that I was biased against this film for tapping into some of my personal insecurities re: 'alpha male/tough guy' lifestyle. However, even objectively this was a fairly mediocre, lack-lustre affair. The premise was great, don't get me wrong: broke struggling writer loses his girlfriend and can't afford rent in the city, finds a miracle drug (NZT) which allows him to access hitherto untouchable areas of the brain and become a genius billionaire hottie, cue high-speed car chases and Wall Street espionage. But the execution was fairly dire, full of cliche tropes (zero to hero, NZT is a deus ex machina, the bad guy is a cardboard cut-out nasty drug dealer, etc.) I had issues about the portrayal of his ex girlfriend, who understandably leaves him for sponging off her when suffering writer's block but basically comes back to him when he starts working out and has a new suit and fat wallet as a consequence of taking the NZT. No misogyny there right? :roll eyes: Last but not least I was hoping that it would escalate or take an inventive turn, but there was none. The whole thing is a lazy Wolf of Wall Street for geeks. And the ending is too happily ever after to be palatable, a darker twist would have suited the film's atmosphere much more.

Honestly this is quite a run-of-the-mill action movie. Disappointing but better than nothing, in fairness the cinematography and fight scenes are excellent, the first-person narrative at the start was witty and charming (I preferred him before he was a perfect smug brat) and well, it has Robert de Niro so don't ***** too much Overall, it was entertaining enough to watch but I doubt I'll seek it out again.

I shouldn't really compare and judge this retrospectively considering it's the predecessor of Lucy, which I saw in September, but imo if you want to watch a '40% of the brain' film, watch Lucy!
    32) Despicable Me: 8/10

Well, not much to say really. Just good fun. Vector immensely reminds me of Syndrome from the Incredibles and Marge' Simpson's pet peeve of a suitor, Artie Ziff. Very surprised by Gru's mum being played by Julie Andrews! Of course the Minions steal the show, but Steve Carell and Russell Brand as Gru and Dr. Nefario put up a great double act, and the world of the film is innovative and enthralling for children and adults alike.

33) Puss in Boots

34) The Golden Compass

35) Atonement

36) Elf

- - - - - - - - - - -
    Film Priority 2: [a depressing?!] Late 2015

37) Fight Club

38) American Psycho

39) Se7en

40) The Green Mile

41) From Russia with Love

42) Goldfinger

43) You Only Live Twice

44) Goldeneye

45-7) The Godfather Trilogy

46) State of Play

47) Saving Private Ryan

48) Goodfellas

49) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

50) Schindler’s List

51) Reservoir Dogs

52) Memento

53) Primer

54) The Departed [adult re-watch]

55) Pulp Fiction ][adult re-watch]

56) The Shawshank Redemption [adult re-watch]

57) Django Unchained

58) Monsters

59) Oldboy

60) 28 Days Later
    - - - - - - -

Priority 3: Film 2016 Pt. 1

Priority 3: Film 2016 Pt. 1

61) Wadjda

62-4) Al Pacino Boxset: Scarface; Casino; Carlito’s Way

65-8) Alfred Hitchcock Boxset: Psycho; Vertigo; Rear Window; The Birds

69) Hitchock, ‘The 39 Steps’

70-3) The Terminator Original Quartet)

74) Shutter Island [adult re-watch]

75) A.I.: Artifical Intelligence

76) Super 8

77) 9

78) King Lear [live theatrical DVD]

79) The Prestige

80) Snatch

81) The Artist

82) Groundhog Day

83) Bowie: The Man Who Fell to Earth

84-6) Ocean’s Trilogy

87) Ghost in the Shell: Innocence [non-stoned re-watch]

88) The Illusionist

89) Amelie

90) The Truman Show

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Priority 4: Film 2016-7 Pt. 2

91) Good Will Hunting

92) Twelve Monkeys

93) Rush

94) The Last Samurai

95) The Hunt for Red October

96) Source Code [adult re-watch]

97) The Pink Panther [original with Peter Sellers]

98) Defiance

99) Inglourious Basterds

100) The Breakfast Club

101) Mrs. Henderson Presents

102) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

103) The Talented Mr. Ripley

104) Mrs. Doubtfire

105) The Woman in Black

106-7) Kill Bill, Vos. 1-2

108) The Breakfast Club

109) The Minority Report

110) Cold Mountain

111) Capote

112) Jarhead

113) Zodiac

114) One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest

115) Apocalypse Now

116) Beetlejuice

117) Blade

118-9) Robocop [both versions]

120) Now You See Me

121) Real Steel

122) Catch Me If You Can

123) Arnie: Conan the Barbarian

124) Arnie: Commando

125) Dirty Harry

- - - - - - - -

Films 5: Disney/Dreamworks/Studio Ghibli/Animated ‘feel-good’

126) Basil the Great Mouse Detective

127) Pocahontas

128) The Fox and the Hound

129) The Black Cauldron [adult re-watch]

130) Frozen

131) Enchanted

132) Tangled

133) Brave

134) A Bug’s Life [adult re-watch]

135) Tarzan [adult re-watch]

136) Anastasia [adult re-watch]

137) Madagascar

138) Megamind

139) Rise of the Guardians

140) The Road to El Dorado

141-3) Aladdin Trilogy

144) Muppets Take Manhattan

145) Studio Ghibli: Princess Mononoke

146) Laputa: Castle in the Sky

147) Tales from Earthsea

148) Kiki’s Delivery Service

149) Ponyo

150) The Cat Returns

151) Whisper of the Heart

152) The Land Before Time

153) Cats Don't Dance [adult re-watch]

Films 6: Rom-coms, Romance

154) Mean Girls

155) The Time Traveller’s Wife

156) Atonement

157) The Notebook

158) Bend it Like Beckham

159) The Perks of Being a Wallflower

160) The Fault in our Stars

161) The Devil Wears Prada

162) Big

163) Bride and Prejudice

164) Two Week’s Notice

165) Casanova

166) Casablanca?

167) One Day

168) About Time

169) Reverse/Re-Wind

170) Remember Me

Films 7: Horror [optional]

171) The Exorcist

172) The Silence of the Lambs

173) The Grudge

174) The Ring

175) Saw

176) The Blair Witch Project

177) Paranormal Activity

178) Annabelle

179) Horns

180) The Human Centipede

181) The Clearing

182) The Orphanage

183) Trick or Treat

184) The Human Centipede

- - - - - - - - - - -

Cinema List: Film 2014 Catch-up!

C1) The Imitation Game

C2) Birdman

C3) Gone Girl

C4) The Theory of Everything

C5) Godzilla

C6) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

C7) Mockingjay Pt. 1

C8) Whiplash

C9) Foxcatcher

C10) Nightcrawler

C11) Edge of Tomorrow

C12) The Wolf of Wall Street

C13) Selma

C14) Big Hero 6

C15) Monsters University

C16) Chef

C17) Robocop

C18) 300: Rise of an Empire

C19) The Grand Budapest Hotel

C20) How to Train Your Dragon

C21) The Babadook
    - - - - - - - - -

Cinema 2015!

C22) Avengers: Age of Ultron

C23) Antman

C24) Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

C25) Terminator: Genisys

C26) Jurassic World

C27) Spectre

C28) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt. 2

C29) Fantastic Four

C30) Kingsman

C31) Minions Movie

C32) The Spongebob Movie: Sponge out of Water

C33) Fifty Shades of Grey

C34) Mad Max: Fury Road

C35) Shaun the Sheep Movie

C36) Seventh Son (The Spook’s Apprentice)

C37) Paddington Movie

C38) Jupiter Ascending

C39) Mortdecai

C40) Mission: Impossible 5

C41) Tomorrowland

C42) Mr Holmes

C43) Inside Out

C44) Into the Woods

ReputationRep:
    0) Film 2014

1) Back to the Future Trilogy

2) Captain America: The First Avenger

3) Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor

4) Fritz Lang, 'Nosferatu'

5) Simon Pegg's Cornetto Trilogy

6) Spirited Away :sexface:

7) Pacific Rim :sexface:
    You need to give us the lowdown on the smiley face ranking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plasmaman)
    You need to give us the lowdown on the smiley face ranking.
    I haven't worked out a perfect system yet, but basically would be terrible enough to demand a refund, would be more common however for disappointment, whereas :coma: :sexface: means I'm in a coma and it's sending me into cinematic orgasms
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to recommend:
    The Human Centipede 1 and 2
    Cannibal Holocaust (Misleading title, is actually a comedy)
    Wrong Turn 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    I'd like to recommend:
    Wrong Turn 2
    I shall gratefully consider any requests, however please note that these may be put on the back-burner due to the sheer length of the list

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cheers dude! Looking forward to it actually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    I'd like to recommend:
    Wrong Turn 2
    You evil SOAB :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Some good choices in there. Good luck getting through them all although you did set yourself 2 years. Should easily be doable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Some good choices in there. Good luck getting through them all although you did set yourself 2 years. Should easily be doable
    2 films a week on average! I had to give it a wide berth on I'd never work on my CV

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid that this thread is going to get lose in the sands of lurkdom, have the lovely people of TSR got any tips on how it could be improved? The layout etc.? It's important that I have some form of public accountability for my goals.

ReputationRep:
    As I continued to compile the list I realised, there really are an awful lot of films out there.

ReputationRep:
    fell a little behind on the list this week, combination of starting voluntary work and a Broadchurch binge! Carrying on tonight without Despicable Me

ReputationRep:
    bumpity bump babes

in random order: 28) Despicable Me! 8/10

Well, not much to say really. Just good fun. Vector immensely reminds me of Syndrome from the Incredibles and Marge' Simpson's pet peeve of a suitor, Artie Ziff. Very surprised by Gru's mum being played by Julie Andrews! Of course the Minions steal the show, but Steve Carell and Russell Brand as Gru and Dr. Nefario put up a great double act, and the world of the film is innovative and enthralling for children and adults alike.

ReputationRep:
    17) The Iron Giant [adult re-watch]-7/10

At first I felt this was a little lacklustre, and was considering giving it a 6 or even a 5. Sure, Warner Bro.s animation can never live up to its predecessors over at Walt Disney Studios, coming just at the end of the Disney Renaissance. However, over time I warmed to the characters. Hogarth the boy protagonist is an annoying squealing twerp, sure, but the beatnik and FBI trench coat are characterised with expertise to represent the clashing ideologies of the Left and Right in Cold War America. Equally the small-town setup is spot on, while the sci-fi element is just on the realms of plausible fantasy. And of course, Vin Diesel as a giant war machine with a heart of gold and child-like naivety, wanting nothing more than to be loved and to save the day like Superman? My heart melted

ReputationRep:
    Hola

4) Cloud Atlas-9/10 :sogood:

Having not read the novel, missed this in the cinema and completely misinterpreted the DVD front cover (!) I did not realise how original a treat I was in for tonight.

It's difficult to say which was my favourite story. In terms of raw emotional depth, it's between the visually stunning futurist dystopia of the android Somni-451 and the repressively homophobic 1930s for Robert Frobisher and his lover Sixsmith. But Hugo Weaving's Old Georgie in the apocalyptic future creeped the hell out of me in a fun way, while Nurse Noakes and The Ghastly Ordeal of Timothy Cavendish were gloriously camp. The soundtrack both in and out of the film was compelling, especially the soaring yet heart-wrenching end credits theme. A cast including Tom Hanks fighting his inner demons, Halle Berry as both a 1970s undercover reporter and a denizen of an unknowable future…Broadbent, Weaving as various nasties, Sturgess, and more was never to go amiss. That they could play several roles simultaneously and one couldn't always tell which was which speaks volumes of their aptitude. But of course the true star of the Wachowski's ambitious masterpiece is the human condition, so brilliantly portrayed and analysed in 6 very different yet intimately linked characters, times, locations, plots. Embrace the Other, and rise against all odds for truth, justice and love.

It very nearly made me cry which is my litmus test for a perfect 10, so unfortunately CA I must give you a 9. Nonetheless, do not miss.

ReputationRep:
    It makes me sad that no-one is chipping in on this thread

Jumanji: 7/10 ☺

Having grew up watching the animated series on CITV religiously, I can’t believe it took me this many years to watch more than the finale on TV repeats-but hey, isn’t that what the Film 2015/6 Challenge is for, correcting sins of the past?

Anyway, in full honestly I did choose to watch this as a distraction from my single woes this Valentine’s Day, and if any man needs some nostalgic loving, it’s the late and great Robin Williams. Robin is as ever on fire as a man-child who’s spent 26 years trapped in a demonic board game started in 1969 with a friend, joined by a budding young (and surprisingly talented) Kirsten Dunst. Robin was perfect for the role of portraying the boy yet to face both very real enemies and his inner demons-fear and learning compassion for his reserved, aristocratic father.

Aside from the slap-stick humour coming with the plot, the chuckles were rarely belly-aching but always bring a smile. One has to listen closely for Mr Williams’ more adult-oriented gags, mostly from the tension between his friend and her ’10,000 hours of therapy’ for witnessing his being sucked into the board game 2 and a half decades ago. I have to say I was a little disappointed by the lack of ‘in-game’ action, but that probably would have ravaged their budget in the 90s! Nonetheless, a great family romp and virtual reality of a treacherous and romanticized colonial Africa.

Spoiler:
    Show

Highlights for me included the magnificent venus fly trap, adorable CGI giant spiders, the hunter of course, and the transformation into a monkey. All :awesome:!

P.S. Some witty devil ironically added an ‘interactive board game’ to the Special Features. I’m not sure about this one guyz! :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Limitless: 5/10

First off, I should concede that I was biased against this film for tapping into some of my personal insecurities re: 'alpha male/tough guy' lifestyle. However, even objectively this was a fairly mediocre, lack-lustre affair. The premise was great, don't get me wrong: broke struggling writer loses his girlfriend and can't afford rent in the city, finds a miracle drug (NZT) which allows him to access hitherto untouchable areas of the brain and become a genius billionaire hottie, cue high-speed car chases and Wall Street espionage. But the execution was fairly dire, full of cliche tropes (zero to hero, NZT is a deus ex machina, the bad guy is a cardboard cut-out nasty drug dealer, etc.) I had issues about the portrayal of his ex girlfriend, who understandably leaves him for sponging off her when suffering writer's block but basically comes back to him when he starts working out and has a new suit and fat wallet as a consequence of taking the NZT. No misogyny there right? :roll eyes: Last but not least I was hoping that it would escalate or take an inventive turn, but there was none. The whole thing is a lazy Wolf of Wall Street for geeks. And the ending is too happily ever after to be palatable, a darker twist would have suited the film's atmosphere much more.

Honestly this is quite a run-of-the-mill action movie. Disappointing but better than nothing, in fairness the cinematography and fight scenes are excellent, the first-person narrative at the start was witty and charming (I preferred him before he was a perfect smug brat) and well, it has Robert de Niro so don't ***** too much Overall, it was entertaining enough to watch but I doubt I'll seek it out again.

I shouldn't really compare and judge this retrospectively considering it's the predecessor of Lucy, which I saw in September, but imo if you want to watch a '40% of the brain' film, watch Lucy!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 9, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.