Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do you effectively work your way into conversations with strangers? watch

ReputationRep:
    Like ones you see on a street or in coffee shops/public transport/restaurants etc. I've always wanted to do this but lack the confidence as I'm afraid of how they will react even if I approach nicely & talk politely to them So how can you do this fairly smoothly? Any tips would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I don't unless I'm drunk. I'd find it strange otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Precious Illusions)
    I don't unless I'm drunk. I'd find it strange otherwise.
    Why do you find it strange may I ask? I mean even friends or couples were strangers at first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    Why do you find it strange may I ask? I mean even friends or couples were strangers at first.
    well. It's kinda like...I wouldn't want strangers butting into my conversations when out. Unless drunk. Then it's...different for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    well. It's kinda like...I wouldn't want strangers butting into my conversations when out. Unless drunk. Then it's...different for some reason.
    Oh well, that's not wise anyway. More if the stranger looks approachable or is maybe on their own or having a bit of a quiet moment? I guess I'd have to read the situation.

ReputationRep:
    IKR... Can get away with anything when drunk . Haha! (such a creepy emoticon, I can't help myself, sorry)

Same, I wouldn't unless they have acknowledged you if they're in conversation. If there's something common to your situation, then you can talk to them about that.

Without the foot in the door so to speak you don't know they will react - probably why its all alright when drunk!

ReputationRep:
    Like ones you see on a street or in coffee shops/public transport/restaurants etc. I've always wanted to do this but lack the confidence as I'm afraid of how they will react even if I approach nicely & talk politely to them So how can you do this fairly smoothly? Any tips would be greatly appreciated
    *sees stranger browsing TSR*

Me: Hi, do you know Groot from TSR?
    Stranger: I think I've seen a few of her posts. Annoying as hell.
    Me: Yeah, that's me. :smug:

And voila, the conversation rages on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groot)
    *sees stranger browsing TSR*

Me: Hi, do you know Groot from TSR?
    Stranger: I think I've seen a few of her posts. Annoying as hell.
    Me: Yeah, that's me. :smug:

And voila, the conversation rages on.
    Lol, I don't think you're annoying, some of the Muslim posters might though I've had a few prolonged convos on here but they always seem to fizzle out in the end :sad: but anyway real life is where it's at :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I don't think you're annoying, some of the Muslim posters might though I've had a few prolonged convos on here but they always seem to fizzle out in the end :sad: but anyway real life is where it's at :cool:
    Well, this one will fizzle but because I'm going to bed. Goodnight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groot)
    Well, this one will fizzle but because I'm going to bed. Goodnight.
    Haha no worries I think I might have misinterpreted your initial post anyway lol, sleep well

ReputationRep:
    We're in Britain. Just say something about the weather. It's a classic conversation starter.

Tbh I sometimes just randomly compliment people. Not because I want to start a convo, just because I like making a strangers day because you never know how sad someone is.

ReputationRep:
    Haha no worries I think I might have misinterpreted your initial post anyway lol, sleep well
    What's the name of the actor in your avatar. Seems familiar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Person1001)
    What's the name of the actor in your avatar. Seems familiar.
    Dev Patel (of Skins & Slumdog Millionaire fame )
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Quite straightforward, look for starter points - books/gadgets/certain interests you'll assume they have.. Make sure to listen and never let the conversation die down, carry it on to other topics.
    Either they'll continue a conversation with you or they'll politely tell you that they want to be left alone.. You'll only find out by trying.

ReputationRep:
    Ask them where they live or how much money they have on their person.
    That normally goes down well.

ReputationRep:
    lol gegging convos was all the rage in 2008, particularly loved being a third wheel

ReputationRep:
    Stand next to someone you want to talk to and start mumbling random stuff. They'll be like 'sorry what was that or are you okay' then bam initiate conversation.

Note: I've never tried this because it's ****ing weird haha, but if you do let me know how it goes . Or you know talk to strangers when drunk also works as someone else said.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just smile and do your thang

ReputationRep:
    Oh how I wish I could tell you the answer. I find it hard talking to the people in my class, let alone strangers.

ReputationRep:
    It's just the way Gott made me

I just have that BANTER

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.