Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I Applied to Cambridge, Imperial, Durham, Southampton and Bristol for computer science and really i just want to share my experiences with each uni, mainly because when I was still waiting for responses/interviews I was looking for this information and found it somewhat hard to find.

I realise this may not be that useful to others until next year, but I best post it now so that I don't forget.

Within a week of applying I received a conformation of them receiving my application along with an email detailing that I may have an interview and that they will not reach a decision until January. However I received my offer the following week without the interview.

Pretty quickly after applying I received an email inviting me to an "applicant day"(which they said they expected me to attend) which would include an informal interview. i was somewhat anxious for this day but it really is nothing to worry about. First of all as everyone always says - do not worry about what you wear. Also the day was more about them trying to convince us to pick them rather than the other way around. The informal interview was very relaxed, we were in a group of 5 and a lecturer asked us why computer science and which particular area we were most interested in. The interviewer didnt take any notes and was eating his lunch at the same time- I got the impression that they had already made their minds up about us and the interview was just a final check. At the end of the day nothing to worry about! After this day I received my offer about a week later.

I was also invited to an "applicant day" here within a week or two of them receiving my application. The day was very similar to Bristol and also nothing to worry about. The interview was more formal and was one-on-one and about 20 minutes. It was mainly based on my personal statement and the general interview questions(e.g. "why compsci/why Here?"). They gave the impression that they have 2 types of applicant days; one where they are giving offers to everyone and others where the interviews matter a lot more. After this day an offer about a week later.

I received an interview from them pretty quickly, however they are inconsistent, my friend who applied at the same time for the same course (and was a stronger candidate) received an interview a week later than mine- so i wouldn't worry if it's a little late.

This was a step up from the 2 universities I had previously visited. The day was similar to the other days-it included a talk about why imperial, demonstrations from students and an accommodation tour but the interview was a lot harder. I was asked 2 questions: one logic/algorithm question and another pure maths question. The algorithm question was fine but the maths question was hard and my interviewer did not seem very interested in helping me. My interview seemed to be very short compared to others and I think this was because unlike other people I talked to I didn't get asked any personal statement or generic questions.My advice for this one would be to treat it like it was a Cambridge interview because it was nearly as hard (although a lot shorter) and do preparation for it- I would suggest doing past oxbridge maths questions as a start.
    However I must have done something right as I did get an offer about 10 days later(well I got an email saying I got an offer then - i had to wait another week for the details). This was also the only university to not give me a standard offer-My offer was A*AAA with a 2 in STEP 1 or merit in AEA. There offers seemed to vary quite a lot as I know of people who were offered A*A*AA with STEP and A*A*AA and no STEP as well.

I won't say too much about this because all the information about its all over the internet.(if you want more detail ask and i shall provide) However I do have a few key points:
    1)Prepare for it- I see many people saying not too , but I found some of my prep helped- it was only about 5% that helped but that 5% took up half of one interview so it was worth it!
    2) Be prepared to be faced with some hard maths!
    3) I would say the most important thing to make sure you get in is your UMS In your AS exams for example on here is a table about the average percentage of offerholders

Also another thing to remember is that Cambridge are old fashioned and give out there offers by letter and not email(although i think you can request email)
    I was lucky enough to receive and offer to study at Pembroke college!

If you have any questions i'll try and answer them but i'm also interested if you guys had any different experiences!
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.