Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I'm gonna be doing computer science in September, and was wondering if I could transfer courses after first year. For example, after I've done my first year in compsci, could I do the remainder of my degree in computer networks and security? The modules for both courses are similar in the first year, but the second and third years are different. I would also like to stay in the same uni, of course.

    the reason I want to transfer is because im not sure if computer science is the right degree for me, as I want to work in the networking sector of IT, and comp sci is 90 percent programming. the first year modules for compsci only contains one maths module, which is a relief. I just want to try out compsci first and see if it's for me, if not, then I would like to transfer to computer networks and security. would that be possible? because it's not as if the degree I would like to transfer to is completely different to compsci, and both of the courses have relatively similar modules for the first year.

    It depends on the uni and the level of difference in the first year syllabus for the two courses. The first year provides the grounding for the rest of the degree. If you go into a different degree without that preparation, you might find yourself completely adrift.

    The only way to find out, is to ask your uni. All we can do is guess, which isn't much use to you.
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    You could also ask to sit in a lecture for each course and speak to the respective course leaders about what you'd want to do.

    They should be able to help you out a lot with this, you can also ask if you can change or not with their registry/student help point service.
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.