The Student Room Group

Why do we live?

Sorry, not rly a relationship thread but would rather post this anonymously :tongue:.

Anyway, why do we live? Why do you live? Sometimes I feel like the only reason I don't kill myself is because I don't want to traumatize my family and especially my younger sibling. And my friends sort of. Lol I'm not depressed and I sure as hell am not gonna kill myself at least in any near future but just wanted some (philosophical?) replies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i have no idea lol
Reply 2
ive had the same question popping up in my head so many times
I don't know.

But I think I'd be much better at dying.

I'm off to bed to practice death.

Night night.
suicide's a bit permanent. better to just go with it. life is sometimes enjoyable.
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry, not rly a relationship thread but would rather post this anonymously :tongue:.

Anyway, why do we live? Why do you live? Sometimes I feel like the only reason I don't kill myself is because I don't want to traumatize my family and especially my younger sibling. And my friends sort of. Lol I'm not depressed and I sure as hell am not gonna kill myself at least in any near future but just wanted some (philosophical?) replies

To love and grow through our experiences. Pretty simple really. How else will you better yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Interesting question.

From my perspective, I would say that as much as man would like to believe that he is the most superior being in the world etc., ultimately we do have very a primal, instinctive base, because after all, humans are animals.

We all need water, food and shelter. Likewise, we all have a deep-rooted, primitive instinct to further our species, leading to the desire for reproduction (so if anyone ever has a go at you for anything sex related, just say you were only trying to save the human race :wink:).

It is due to this instinct to preserve the race that we live. It's probably what gives life it's value as well.
That's a sensible question. And even if one isn't thinking of committing suicide anytime soon, there will come a day when we will die despite ourselves and leave everything behind, then why bother doing whatever we're doing?
Original post by will2348
To love and grow through our experiences. Pretty simple really. How else will you better yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that's the point, and this seems like a follow-up question rather than an answer,

if it will all come to an end (hopefully not an abrupt one), why even bother growing through experiences and bettering oneself?
Original post by Nadir Gamer
I think that's the point, and this seems like a follow-up question rather than an answer,

if it will all come to an end (hopefully not an abrupt one), why even bother growing through experiences and bettering oneself?

Well, I don't buy into the whole yolo scene. I view ourselves as in your essence, not your physical being as on a journey. And the aim of this specific life in this realm is to grow through love and that's why bad things are allowed to happen through free will. In other words, I see Earth as like a cross between a school and a free holiday preparing you for the next part of your journey helping you to achieve your spiritual objectives to become at one with the universe.

Probably sounds far-fetched to most and that's fair enough, just my perspective on it.

Just because you can't see or observe something, doesn't mean it isn't real.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
That seems like a very interesting idea tbh :smile: Never thought of it that way

Would u consider yourself religious? (just out of curiosity)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by misha_k
That seems like a very interesting idea tbh :smile: Never thought of it that way

Would u consider yourself religious? (just out of curiosity)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, technically I'm a Christian but that's more because I was brought up that way.

I don't really follow it strictly any more or ascribe to it that much. I view myself as more spiritual to be honest which is seperated from religion because everyone can be spiritual and ascribe to that value of being at one, regardless.

I view all religions as a framework for growing spiritually or becoming more loving or a better person. But like everything in life, there are many paths and if religion helps you in your mission then that's great.

But I'm of the opinion regardless this idea of spiritual growth and love is open to everyone and religion in the overall perspective is unimportant. I actually don't think religion was ever designed to be this ritual strict like framework, it's just ended up like that.

In fact, because religion today is so divisive, it presents a challenge and opportunity as a species to be more loving, and grow by reuniting everyone as one - to not get hooked up on differences and move further towards equality, acceptance and tolerance (which is really just an extension of love). I actually think that's why religion exists.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Hmm interesting...

I too am 'technically' a Hindu, but I believe that regardless of one's religion or atheism etc., provided one follows one's own principles and morals, one is on the path to whatever one considers higher.

However, recently I have begun to think that, aren't morals just a set of rules imposed by society? What we call 'good' and 'bad' is just what is constructive and deconstructive for society. But looking at it objectively, as Freud says, there is no moral or immoral - there is just amoral. Giving to the poor is considered good by society: it probably helps to even out the economy. Murder is considered bad because ultimately it disrupts society's delicate balance of order.

Is there really such a thing as good or bad then?
Because it's fun and we love it :biggrin:
Original post by misha_k
Hmm interesting...

I too am 'technically' a Hindu, but I believe that regardless of one's religion or atheism etc., provided one follows one's own principles and morals, one is on the path to whatever one considers higher.

However, recently I have begun to think that, aren't morals just a set of rules imposed by society? What we call 'good' and 'bad' is just what is constructive and deconstructive for society. But looking at it objectively, as Freud says, there is no moral or immoral - there is just amoral. Giving to the poor is considered good by society: it probably helps to even out the economy. Murder is considered bad because ultimately it disrupts society's delicate balance of order.

Is there really such a thing as good or bad then?

From an overall perspective, I don't think there is, just different paths of action leading to a different result. 'Good' and 'bad' for me is just a human construct like time and space.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't say that I just believe in what I can see or observe.

Going back to the first point, what you said doesn't change the fact that death is going to put an end to all of it, and then what? What will then be the difference between that who shared your beliefs and that who did mine?
Reply 16
I suppose that would depend upon one's belief of what the afterlife actually is.

I'm not discounting anyone's beliefs here btw.

Since noone that we know of had actually gone to the afterlife and come back, it's hard to say.
Reply 17
The difference could mean everything, or nothing whatsoever. No one knows, and that's why people ask so many questions about it
Original post by misha_k
I suppose that would depend upon one's belief of what the afterlife actually is.

I'm not discounting anyone's beliefs here btw.

Since noone that we know of had actually gone to the afterlife and come back, it's hard to say.

By not quoting, I failed to refer to the one I was actually saying that to. I relied on the first sentence to do the job, apparently it didn't.

You answered well anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Because my parents made me...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending