Where can I find information on how to create an app?

Watch
Slim and proud
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
How does one go about creating an app? Is it difficult? I want to create a dating app.

Posted from TSR Mobile
KZoom
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Look on thenewboston's, he's got pretty good tutorials, around 200 on android development. Definitely watch his stuff.

https://www.thenewboston.com/
Slim and proud
Rep:
?
Bump, anyone know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
HarryBarney
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's an app on the Playstore called AIDC or something. But if you search 'coding' something similar will pop up and it teaches you how to create apk apps and you can create apps in the app itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Slim and proud
Rep:
?
Oh thank you.

Will also go to the library today and investigate the resources.

Posted from TSR Mobile
donutellme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why don't you tell me the idea and I'll make it for you. I won't steal it, honest!

But in all seriousness, you need to first think about which platform you want (iOS, Android, Windows phone...) and then learn the appropriate programming language and use a development kit or outsource the creation.
Slim and proud
Rep:
?
(Original post by donutellme)
Why don't you tell me the idea and I'll make it for you. I won't steal it, honest!

But in all seriousness, you need to first think about which platform you want (iOS, Android, Windows phone...) and then learn the appropriate programming language and use a development kit or outsource the creation.
Oh thanks for the tip!

I want to develop it on both iOS and Android.

I want to make a dating app like tinder.

Which resources would you recommend I start reading? I went to the library and I couldn't find any books on making apps.

I'm hoping I should be able to learn as I generally enjoy learning syntax languages, even though I lose attention. I will try and persist with this one though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
KZoom
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
TheNewBoston, go on his website, he's got great tutorials in how to develop android and iOS applications.
Slim and proud
Rep:
?
(Original post by KZoom)
TheNewBoston, go on his website, he's got great tutorials in how to develop android and iOS applications.
Thank you!

Just had a brief look. 200 or so lectures!

Pretty intense. I'll need to set myself some milestones if I'm going to be serious about this.

I have a minefield of ideas, just don't know how to implement them. Asking someone to implement them for me would mean giving them away.
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
codeacademy is good for giving you a general coding basis, which you can then go off once you have the 'basics' like HTML - not sure they have app dev stuff yet tho.
Slim and proud
Rep:
?
(Original post by hellodave5)
codeacademy is good for giving you a general coding basis, which you can then go off once you have the 'basics' like HTML - not sure they have app dev stuff yet tho.
Thanks!
KZoom
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Slim and proud)
Thank you!

Just had a brief look. 200 or so lectures!

Pretty intense. I'll need to set myself some milestones if I'm going to be serious about this.

I have a minefield of ideas, just don't know how to implement them. Asking someone to implement them for me would mean giving them away.
You're welcome! I know it seems pretty tough, I'm on 80 so far, I hope to complete the 200 and make an app to release by summer I hope your get to complete your app
donutellme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh thanks for the tip!

I want to develop it on both iOS and Android.

I want to make a dating app like tinder.

Which resources would you recommend I start reading? I went to the library and I couldn't find any books on making apps.

I'm hoping I should be able to learn as I generally enjoy learning syntax languages, even though I lose attention. I will try and persist with this one though.

Awesome! Now firstly (this may sound patronising but I don't know your level of experience ), before any development takes place, you're going to need to plan out how the app works, looks, feels and it's overall features. Once you've covered that (and it should be done very carefully), you can start programming!!!

So for iOS, you will need to learn Swift (it used to be Objective C, but they've now replaced it with the new and improved Swift), and for Android you will need Java. Both iOS and Android come with SDKs to help make development slightly easier.

And you're not likely to find reading materials on programming in a library haha. It's mostly online, which is fitting :P

Yeah programming languages can be slightly annoying to learn. But it's very rewarding once you start creating things
Slim and proud
Rep:
?
(Original post by KZoom)
You're welcome! I know it seems pretty tough, I'm on 80 so far, I hope to complete the 200 and make an app to release by summer I hope your get to complete your app
(Original post by donutellme)
Awesome! Now firstly (this may sound patronising but I don't know your level of experience ), before any development takes place, you're going to need to plan out how the app works, looks, feels and it's overall features. Once you've covered that (and it should be done very carefully), you can start programming!!!

So for iOS, you will need to learn Swift (it used to be Objective C, but they've now replaced it with the new and improved Swift), and for Android you will need Java. Both iOS and Android come with SDKs to help make development slightly easier.

And you're not likely to find reading materials on programming in a library haha. It's mostly online, which is fitting :P

Yeah programming languages can be slightly annoying to learn. But it's very rewarding once you start creating things
Thanks both. You've been very helpful.

I might ask ask you some questions once I've made a start on it.

One of of my ideas has been floating in my head since summer 2013 and initially I thought of starting it up as a website. This week I suddenly realised that starting it as an app would be more fruitful.

Also what's triggered my sudden drive is a keynote presentation that I watched last week from an influential person. He talking about society trends and I realised that one needs to become entrepreneul if they are to become something in this fast moving world.
samba
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks both. You've been very helpful.

I might ask ask you some questions once I've made a start on it.

One of of my ideas has been floating in my head since summer 2013 and initially I thought of starting it up as a website. This week I suddenly realised that starting it as an app would be more fruitful.

Also what's triggered my sudden drive is a keynote presentation that I watched last week from an influential person. He talking about society trends and I realised that one needs to become entrepreneul if they are to become something in this fast moving world.
Get an original idea. Get venture capital or an angel. Leave it to the pros to code it. And make it platform independent, or at least multiplatform.

If you're unable to use google on 'how to create an app' though, you're already struggling. And you're unlikely to penetrate a saturated market without both VC and an original idea/algorithm.
Slim and proud
Rep:
?
(Original post by samba)
Get an original idea. Get venture capital or an angel. Leave it to the pros to code it. And make it platform independent, or at least multiplatform.

If you're unable to use google on 'how to create an app' though, you're already struggling. And you're unlikely to penetrate a saturated market without both VC and an original idea/algorithm.
I can use google, but I think it's also good to ask experts where I can. There's no point in wasting time when sometimes you can arrive to an answer much quicker by asking someone. Yesterday I spent most the afternoon searching for interfaces that would intuitively let me create an app, by evening I realised that I would have to actually create the app from scratch using coding languages, no easy way about it.

It is an orginal idea, I've just framed it as a dating app like Tinder because I don't want to give too much away about it.

I would like to learn coding language myself but the venture capital thing sounds an idea too. Would that als help me with marketing?
samba
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I can use google, but I think it's also good to ask experts where I can. There's no point in wasting time when sometimes you can arrive to an answer much quicker by asking someone. Yesterday I spent most the afternoon searching for interfaces that would intuitively let me create an app, by evening I realised that I would have to actually create the app from scratch using coding languages, no easy way about it.

It is an orginal idea, I've just framed it as a dating app like Tinder because I don't want to give too much away about it.

I would like to learn coding language myself but the venture capital thing sounds an idea too.
There are no/few experts here. And yes, you would need to build it from scratch.

As a project for fun/learning you could do it yourself, but as a business you have zero expertise. I'm a 'fair' coder, and I'm not even gonna be touching the site for my business idea. This is essentially a business question, not a coding one.

If you do have an original idea, or even better an algorithm, start meeting people who can 1) advertise 2) have project management experience. You've literally got zero chance getting a self made app to that market and being successful, so focus on making a business plan.

The app is a small part of a successful business idea. You need to keep your head in the big picture game and not get dragged into stuff that can be done easily by managers/contractors anyway.
Slim and proud
Rep:
?
(Original post by samba)
There are no/few experts here. And yes, you would need to build it from scratch.

As a project for fun/learning you could do it yourself, but as a business you have zero expertise. I'm a 'fair' coder, and I'm not even gonna be touching the site for my business idea. This is essentially a business question, not a coding one.

If you do have an original idea, or even better an algorithm, start meeting people who can 1) advertise 2) have project management experience. You've literally got zero chance getting a self made app to that market and being successful, so focus on making a business plan.

The app is a small part of a successful business idea. You need to keep your head in the big picture game and not get dragged into stuff that can be done easily by managers/contractors anyway.
Okay, thanks.

I just just wonder whether it's possible to get venture capital with no proof of concept or existing revenue that's been generated by idea.

Secondly, would it be possible to patent idea first before asking for investment? Is that what people tend to do?
samba
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Okay, thanks.

I just just wonder whether it's possible to get venture capital with no proof of concept or existing revenue that's been generated by idea.

Secondly, would it be possible to patent idea first before asking for investment? Is that what people tend to do?
Unless it's a discrete algorithm you wouldn't be able to patent it. You can't generally patent ideas.

You need to create a detailed business plan if you need VC level funding. If you're talking more like 50k than 2 million, it's possible to do it with less detailed plans by taking it to an angel, but you still need plans.
Slim and proud
Rep:
?
(Original post by samba)
Unless it's a discrete algorithm you wouldn't be able to patent it. You can't generally patent ideas.

You need to create a detailed business plan if you need VC level funding. If you're talking more like 50k than 2 million, it's possible to do it with less detailed plans by taking it to an angel, but you still need plans.
Are there any websites that you would recommend for angels and also for applying for VC? I've searched on Google and there seems to be a lot of choice. Would rather go for a reputable source.

In the mean time I'll plough on with trying to learn the coding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.69%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.9%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.17%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.1%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.99%

Watched Threads