Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 15, and If I end up with an argument with my parents, they always dismiss what my point is even when completely valid and just pass it off as a "teenage" thing or something and it really ticks me off and makes me feel like a puppet in their control. I feel absolutely powerless when around them. I'm not very connected with my parents and don't really know much about them, and generally prefer to be away from them. it is really awkward for me to talk to them about my problems which makes me really reluctant to engage them. I hide many things from them about my personality and they know barely anything about me and my interests because I'm afraid about how they'll react. I'm not trying to imply that i Hate them, i know that they intend the best for me, but i'd rather be in control of myself. I'd like to move out soon, because i like being alone as i can express myself privately.

Sorry if this went entirely off topic, i just wanted to get it off my chest.

EDIT: I also just wanted to add I don't want to be in this current state and just want to move on with life, get a job and apartment/house and travel. I know this is very far fetched, but I'm sick of being a kid and want to move on.

ReputationRep:
    They're worried about you and you're keeping everything to yourself. They have a right to be angry.

ReputationRep:
    when did I say they were angry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alidoge)
    I'm 15, and If I end up with an argument with my parents, they always dismiss what my point is even when completely valid and just pass it off as a "teenage" thing or something and it really ticks me off and makes me feel like a puppet in their control. I feel absolutely powerless when around them. I'm not very connected with my parents and don't really know much about them, and generally prefer to be away from them. it is really awkward for me to talk to them about my problems which makes me really reluctant to engage them. I hide many things from them about my personality and they know barely anything about me and my interests because I'm afraid about how they'll react. I'm not trying to imply that i Hate them, i know that they intend the best for me, but i'd rather be in control of myself. I'd like to move out soon, because i like being alone as i can express myself privately.

Sorry if this went entirely off topic, i just wanted to get it off my chest.

EDIT: I also just wanted to add I don't want to be in this current state and just want to move on with life, get a job and apartment/house and travel. I know this is very far fetched, but I'm sick of being a kid and want to move on.
    I know how you feel, mine had the same kind of attitude towards me, and it's incredibly frustrating. Even now (I'm in my late twenties) my mum in particular has a tendency to treat me as though I'm this very sheltered person, and whenever I've tried to engage and tell her things her mind completely closes.

Don't get me wrong, we do get on - better now than when I was adolescent - but it is frustrating. In your case, there's probably not much you can do other than put up with it until you head off to uni, or move out and enter the workplace.

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck to you

Maybe a good idea would be to sit down with them, in a situation where you have not just argued or about to argue, so you can make them aware you are not saying this running high in emotions, and calmly put your points across about how you feel.

Imagine it as kind of like a speech, write down somewhere your key points etc, then think through what you will say and deliver those points.

They may not react massively to you at the time, but I guarantee it will strike a chord with them.

ReputationRep:
    sounds like a typical teenager.

Mark Twain famously said “When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.” My own teenager hated me quoting that

As long as you don't open up to your parents they will worry about what you are hiding and it may well be worse in their imagination that whatever it is you can't talk about. Talking to your parents and even, horrid thought for a teenager, asking their advice - is actually the best way to get them to see you as someone who should be allowed more control over their life. An adult is not afraid to seek advice from the more experienced, and even to take the advice - children don't do that.You also need to learn to negotiate and if you approach your parents in the right way you will find they gradually relax their control over your life. Show them you are responsible and not going to ruin your life.

It's very difficult for parents to back off and let you make your own mistakes, we all prefer to protect our chidren from the consequences of bad choices. .

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 11, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.